1HDT Batteries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Standing infront looking at the truck, the battery on the Left is the primary battery that runs the truck once its running as 12v.
The battery on the right is connected in series by the solenoid to give 24v start.

Here is the starting wiring diagram (doesnt't make it that clear - and note that the LH/RH is described in the diagrams as if you were sitting in the truck:

1678818483908.png

Clearer in this diagram - note all the fusible links on the RH battery (LH if standing in front of the truck looking at it).

1678818597602.png

What do you mean by "primary starting battery". In 24V starting mode both batteries are in series so theoretically are equally loaded. After starting the batteries are connected in parallel so are also used equally. It is important that both batteries have the same capacity and be replaced at the same time to avoid unequal loading causing premature failure. Your system is only as good as the worst battery.

The LH battery is connected to the alternator but the RH battery connects directly to the starter - if that helps. If you connect a winch to the 12/24V solenoid you want to be on the alternator side.

Thanks indirectly for the information. This brings about a question that I recurrently ask myself: how to use jumper cables in case one or both batteries are depleted. This is critical with an ATM that cannot be pushed to start. My provisional response is to carry a battery analyzer to detect the battery in bad condition, then connect the jumpers from the helping car to it. But any further enlightment would be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom