1HDFT - white smoke/loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I’ve got an hdj81 with 1hdft engine. Been a great truck so far. Had a bit of a cold snap in houston tx today and my truck seems to be on the fritz now. Here are my symptoms:
1. White smoke - never had white smoke in the tail pipe until today
2. Loss of power - I can put my foot in the floor and nothing will happen. It crawls forward, eventually accelerating to speed, but it sputters trying to get there
3. Oil pressure, EGT, coolant temps and boost are all “normal” while cruising/accelerating
4. Oil pressure at idle is lower than normal
5. Idle is rough
6. Truck doesn’t start as easily

Thanks guys

What does your coolant look like? Any contaminates under the cap? Just starting to look at things like blown head gasket as a start.

What does your coolant look like? Any contaminates under the cap? Just starting to look at things like blown head gasket as a start.
Haven’t checked it yet but that’s first on my list. The issues arose after I filled up my tank so there’s a chance I put gas (prolly not the case) in a diesel or I put bad diesel in the truck.

Haven’t checked it yet but that’s first on my list. The issues arose after I filled up my tank so there’s a chance I put gas (prolly not the case) in a diesel or I put bad diesel in the truck.
Under no circumstance should you keep trying to start it if you dont know what kind of fuel you put in it, dont try to start it anymore, not even at all. verify fuel first, then check agian, then do the clear hose trick to check for air. when you filled up was it super low on fuel?

Under no circumstance should you keep trying to start it if you dont know what kind of fuel you put in it, dont try to start it anymore, not even at all. verify fuel first, then check agian, then do the clear hose trick to check for air. when you filled up was it super low on fuel?
It had a little less than 1/4 tank left.

How cold is it, maybe pumps still have summer diesel in Texas? I don’t understand how you can be unsure of whether or not you put gas or diesel in your vehicle.

I would say the cold exposing fuel system air leak(s) is also a likely suspect.

I would say the cold exposing fuel system air leak(s) is also a likely suspect.
Jesus Christ. I put 93 octane in there. How in the **** I wound up doin that is beyond me.

Maybe becoming a dad in 3 days has something to do with it…

Jesus Christ. I put 93 octane in there. How in the f*** I wound up doin that is beyond me.

Maybe becoming a dad in 3 days has something to do with it…
well get it all out, blow dry air through the tank and lines for hours, pull the injector lines off at the injectors and put a hose from the fuel pump inlet to a jug of diesel and crank it until the gas is out, then put it back together and hope that no irreparable damage was done. congrats on the kid.

well get it all out, blow dry air through the tank and lines for hours, pull the injector lines off at the injectors and put a hose from the fuel pump inlet to a jug of diesel and crank it until the gas is out, then put it back together and hope that no irreparable damage was done. congrats on the kid.
And then change your oil.

All,
I’ve got an hdj81 with 1hdft engine. Been a great truck so far. Had a bit of a cold snap in houston tx today and my truck seems to be on the fritz now. Here are my symptoms:
1. White smoke - never had white smoke in the tail pipe until today
2. Loss of power - I can put my foot in the floor and nothing will happen. It crawls forward, eventually accelerating to speed, but it sputters trying to get there
3. Oil pressure, EGT, coolant temps and boost are all “normal” while cruising/accelerating
4. Oil pressure at idle is lower than normal
5. Idle is rough
6. Truck doesn’t start as easily

Thanks guys
Mine just blew up yesterday too. Almost the same symptoms. I just got back from Colorado to Mississippi in my 1hdt. 1300 or so miles in under 10 degree weather the whole way.

Ran flawlessly the entire trip. Fresh oil. Big end bearing. Etc etc.

Oil and antifreeze both look clean. Rod sounds like it’s about to go through the block today.

Great news everyone. Drained and cleaned the tank, lines & injectors, and replaced the fuel filters and she lives!

I showed my ass two days before Christmas and 4 days before my son was born. I had enough s*** piling up, so I appreciate everyone here helping me solve the problem.

Orison was born (8 lbs 13 oz), mom is healthy, and I got my truck back.

✌🏼

now change your oil, and send it to blackstone so you can know that no damage was done and you have a baseline for engine health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom