1hdft lack of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Brought a 1hdft auto project and with a lack of power issue, ended up doing a motor rebuild and new eclipse turbo.
Currently still have the lack of power issue, starts well, revs well but when put in drive total lack of power/revs will very very slowly climb, I have a semi steep drive and will hardly go up.
All fluid levels good including auto box
Fuel supply good and have tried another primer and filter and ran off a bottle of diesel to bypass the tank pickup poss issue
Checked fuel filter at bottom of elec stop on diesel pump
All vacuum pipes are on right and no leaks from any pipework
Valve and pump timing correct
Am I into a pump rebuild ? think I have covered everything
Thanks All

You might have a transmission issue potentially.

Yea thats totally in the trans, look into that next

Ok thanks, I have checked fluid levels and wiring for damage.
Maybe kick down adjustment ? As a pure guess
Don’t know what else besides that though

Could be the torque converter

You might also check the internal filter (very small) that's inside the IP. The very slowly climbing RPM's is odd, like it's actually still starving for diesel

Am I into a pump rebuild ? think I have covered everything

With the other toyota diesels, you should be able to rev it to around 4000 rpm in neutral. The FSM says this will tell you if the pump is fully operational. You dont have to hold it there, it just has to reach those rpm to pass.

But what does it rev to?

I would take it to an automatic trans or fuel injection workshop and ask their opinion and why.
Usually tired fuel injection pumps are ok when cold but lose pressure when fully warmed up or can be hard to start when hot.
I think it will be trans related if you can get good rpm in neutral. I forget what causes it but others have been here with the same symptoms. There is something in the trans that limits the fuel pump output. I dont know much about automatics

Is it an 80 series?

I would take it to an automatic trans or fuel injection workshop and ask their opinion and why.
Usually tired fuel injection pumps are ok when cold but lose pressure when fully warmed up or can be hard to start when hot.
I think it will be trans related if you can get good rpm in neutral. I forget what causes it but others have been here with the same symptoms. There is something in the trans that limits the fuel pump output. I dont know much about automatics

Is it an 80 series?
Ok thanks mate, be interesting if anyone could answer the limitation of fuel output when in gear etc though

Start by adjusting the kickdown cable, you'd be surprised the issues they can cause when stretched and out of adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom