1hdft lack of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Brought a 1hdft auto project and with a lack of power issue, ended up doing a motor rebuild and new eclipse turbo.
Currently still have the lack of power issue, starts well, revs well but when put in drive total lack of power/revs will very very slowly climb, I have a semi steep drive and will hardly go up.
All fluid levels good including auto box
Fuel supply good and have tried another primer and filter and ran off a bottle of diesel to bypass the tank pickup poss issue
Checked fuel filter at bottom of elec stop on diesel pump
All vacuum pipes are on right and no leaks from any pipework
Valve and pump timing correct
Am I into a pump rebuild ? think I have covered everything
Thanks All

Was it lacking power when you bought it before then engine rebuild?
Have you tried to adjust the fuel pump timing or fuel screw settings?

If it was lacking power when you bought it, do you know any of the maintenance history? Did the previous owner attempt to tune it?

Why did you decide to rebuild the engine?

Did you rebuild it, or have a shop do it?

Have a read through this thread

You'll get more responses asking in the diesel tech section

Was it lacking power when you bought it before then engine rebuild?
Have you tried to adjust the fuel pump timing or fuel screw settings?

If it was lacking power when you bought it, do you know any of the maintenance history? Did the previous owner attempt to tune it?

Why did you decide to rebuild the engine?

Did you rebuild it, or have a shop do it?

Have a read through this thread

You'll get more responses asking in the diesel tech section
Ok thanks I’ll put it in the diesel section
Reason for rebuild was someone had done the head gasket and left the head bolt washers off so I thought what else have they left off as they did the big ends bearings as wheel.
Yes I have tried pump settings and fuel screws

Ok thanks I’ll put it in the diesel section
Reason for rebuild was someone had done the head gasket and left the head bolt washers off so I thought what else have they left off as they did the big ends bearings as wheel.
Yes I have tried pump settings and fuel screws

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you ever find a solution? I am have exactly the same issue right now.

When was the injectors last rebuilt? They tend to need replacement/rebuild every 150,000km. Likewise, the pumps need a rebuild every 250,000-350,000km.

I’ve also found the intake gaskets tend to leak meaning the actual boost pressure can read high at the turbo but low inside the engine.

And I assume you’ve done the basics like changed diesel filters and confirmed you don’t have algae in your tank etc

When was the injectors last rebuilt? They tend to need replacement/rebuild every 150,000km. Likewise, the pumps need a rebuild every 250,000-350,000km.

I’ve also found the intake gaskets tend to leak meaning the actual boost pressure can read high at the turbo but low inside the engine.

And I assume you’ve done the basics like changed diesel filters and confirmed you don’t have algae in your tank etc

I don’t have the maintenance history (auction truck) but injectors are definitely due for a rebuild.

Fuel filter is brand new, OEM Toyota. Diesel was just filled up. It was running perfectly fine until the mud puddle - and then bang, no power. That’s why I am doubtful it’s the injectors.

I am measuring boost in one for egr inlet ports (I removed the egr)

When you say intake gasket, do you mean between the crossover pipe and the intake manifold, or at the air heater?

Ahhh, Sorry what happened with the mud puddle?
And have you done a visual inspection of the linkages? It’s possible the mud has bent or twisted some of the linkages and so full throttle on the pedal isn’t actually full throttle on the pump?

Ahhh, Sorry what happened with the mud puddle?
And have you done a visual inspection of the linkages? It’s possible the mud has bent or twisted some of the linkages and so full throttle on the pedal isn’t actually full throttle on the pump?
Oops sorry, I forgot that this is not my problem thread, but I am highjacking someone else’s :) Here is my problem.

1hd-ft engine, 300k
Went through a mud-puddle today and then lost most engine power. The best way to describe is that I floor the gas pedal and get no response. If the vehicle is facing uphill, the only way to get it moving is in low gear. If it’s on a flat surface, it will very very slowly accelerate and rev up until the turbo finally spools up. Turbo does spool up to 9 psi, but even at that compression there is very little power. I have manual boost controller that previously allowed me to get 12 psi, I took it out of the equation for now to troubleshoot.

At idle the engine seems to rev up without issues and at top rpm (4000) I get around 4 psi boost.

I checked vacuum hoses and they are all plugged in and I could see / feel no leaks.

The transmission kick down cable seems quite loose and I tried to tighten it - moved the adjustment nut by about 3/4” forward but I don’t think it made a difference. That said, someone observed that when I floor it in neutral the throttle moves more than when I floor it in gear.

Also while driving glow plug light came on - i know it has a air heater rather than glow plugs.

It feels like a fuel issue …

Any ideas or sage advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom