1HDFT identification?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we are on the right path with the Injection Pump being a definitive indicator.

Looking for owners of 1HD-FT motors to help confirm which 1HD-FT engines are the "early" vs. "late" models, which typically means built pre- or post-May 1996. For a number of us the motors are out of the original rigs, and ordering the right parts based on this split is not easy.

As noted above I believe that we can figure this out based on the Injection Pump being either 22100-17880 for the early, or -17881 for the late. Though this is what ToyotaDIY is listing, we need a few more datapoints to definitely confirm this as a positive indication.

Georg confirmed that the 22100-17880 is the PN on the Injection Pump of the un-serialized motor in the original post. Thus we suspect it is an "early" motor.

My motor is S/N 0147021, and I believe it has the -17881 IP, which would make it a "late" motor. Georg will confirm this tomorrow.

So, if you have a 1HD-FT, please take a look at your motor, and report back with the S/N stamped on the block (just below US drivers-side rear of the block) and the P/N for the Injection Pump, then we can start to compile enough data to be 100% sure. If you know the VIN from the original truck as a third point of reference, that too would be helpful.

:cheers:

Steve

Are you just posting random Toyota engine pictures? That's not a 1HD-FT.

So, for those with Automatics, this is what you find...the P/N is buried. :bang: Since my truck is getting a H55F, I have asked Georg to jettison the unnecessary :censor: hardware. Will see what lurks under shortly.

The part numbers split is as follows:

22100 PUMP ASSY, INJECTION OR SUPPLY
22100-1B010 (01/1995 - 09/1995) 1 $7,660.21
22100-1B011 (10/1995 - 12/1997) 1 $7,249.07

picture.php

Steve

Last edited:
I have a spare FT motor in shed, let me know if you need more pics. Until i learn to compress photos i will post these one at a time.

Here is the block serial #

IMG_4341.jpg

I.P. id plate

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

V.I.N. info

IMG_2388.jpg

And for the heck of it, shot of motor.

IMG_4345.jpg

Mudblugger, where did you say you were hiding that motor? :grinpimp:

Thanks for posting. Just to be sure, this motor came from the truck / VIN in these posts. If I am de-cyphering correctly the truck is a 1997 year model vehicle, but the motor serial points more towards being out of a 1995 or 1996.

Steve

I will keep the information gathered in this thread updated in this post as more data arrives.

General Market

P/N 22100-17890 with big number 789 = early and late motors, manual transmission
P/N 22010-1B010 with big number xxx = early motor, automatic transmission
P/N 22100-1B011 with big number xxx = late motor, automatic transmission

Mudblugger - 17890 on engine number 0134936 in a 1997 OZ truck
CycloSteve - should be 1B011 on engine number 0147021 which came out of a 1996 or 1997 OZ truck
Chudlef - should be 1B011 on engine number 0133473 in a late 1996 OZ truck
Chudelf - unknown on engine number 0122677 in a 1996 OZ truck​

Japan Market

P/N 22100-17840 with big number 784 = early motor?, manual transmission with EGR
P/N 22100-17850 with big number 785 = early motor?, automatic transmission with EGR
P/N 22100-17860 with big number 786 = late motor?, manual transmission
P/N 22100-17870 with big number 787 = late motor?, automatic transmission

Mudblugger - 17840 on engine number 0117200 which came out of a JDM truck with EGR, was an ATM when ToyoDIY lists 784 for the MTM :meh:

European Market

P/N 22100-17880 with big number 788 = early motor, manual transmission with EGR
P/N 22100-17881 with big number xxx = late motor, manual transmission with EGR

Gifu - 17880 on an engine with no S/N and thought to be a from a 1995 truck​

It does not appear that an Automatic was available in the European market for the 1HD-FT; this according to ToyoDIY.

Steve

Last edited:
Yea Steve, that motor came out of the vehicle with the plates in photos. Possible the motor had been swapped at some stage, but for a vehicle that had done 434,000 kms the block was showing about that sort of corrosion on alloy/zinc parts etc IMO.

Was going to ask, how does the serial number on block tie into the VIN/ID plates if at all?

Something I have always wondered but never got around to looking into deeper.

In case anyone is wondering, the motor needs a rebuild but the wagon it came out of was pristine. The dude I swapped the motors over for had a pretty beat up wagon that was not worth repairing with a fresh 1HDT, donor vehicle only cost 7000 bucks.

The motor pictured was my payment for swap, and will either be rebuilt as its compete, or used for parts in case my FT needs something.

I have not yet found a definitive VIN to engine S/N source anywhere.

By building a dataset here on MUD of who has what in their rigs, we should be able to know what year an unknown motor came out of, based on the known VIN/Serial/Build Date combos. As an example, your VIN/Serial with a December build date fits perfectly with Chudelf's Serial with a November build date. My motor with a higher S/N, must be an early to mid 1997 motor. It is a bit of reverse-engineering, but it does work. That said, if the S/N is ground off like Gifu's, we have to look at other items such as the IP to point us in the right direction.

Steve

P.S. I wish I had a spare motor sitting in the shed. It definitely looks clean for almost a half-million KM.

Ok that makes sense, thanks Steve.

I will check my other FT on monday to see if it has had its numbers ground off, and take some pics if possible.

It was a runner sourced from japan with 80,000 ks on the clock, automatic with all the rubbish EGR bolted on. Ditched as much of that stuff as I could and fitted a top mount.

This photo is not very clear, but the big numbers on bottom of IP plate read 784, unfortunately I neglected to take a pic of block serial number

DSCN0193.jpg

One change that hapened during the 1HD-FT's production cycle was the location of the coolant drain on the left hand side of the block.

Early blocks had a brass drain plug in the bottom of the alloy oil cooler cover. Later blocks used a different oil cooler cover without the drain, but the block gained an additional cast boss above the oil pressure sender, which now had a fitting that incorporated a 10mm brass plug and a small drain pipe.

This change happened 05/1997 which was fairly late in the HDJ80 production, but may help determine the year an engine was made.

After the HDJ80 ended production on 01/1998 the 1HD-FT remained in use fitted to the JDM 05/1995-07/1999 HDB50/51 Coaster bus.

With the introduction of the 1HD-FTE on the 01/1998 there was another production change to the 1HD-FT. The 1HD-FTE incorporates an additional cast boss on the lower block main cap cradle which is drilled for the 1HD-FTE's crankshaft positioning sensor. After that date the 1HD-FT begain using the same main cap cradle as the 1HD-FTE. The hole is blocked by a factory plug. The factory replacement shortblocks that i have seen use this later main cap setup as well.

J80 1HD-FT engines were available as follows -

•European manual gearbox only - all fitted with EGR
•Japanese manual gearbox and automatic transmission - either with EGR or not.
•Australia/New Zealand manual gearbox and automatic transmission - none fitted with EGR

in 05/1996 European 1HD-FT engines gained an additional cover that bolted on beneath the sump, which itself gained four welded on brackets for securing the cover.

Thats about all the 1HD-FT information i can remember for now.

Last edited:
Block number for jap import motor in wagon is 0117200. Pretty much impossible to get good photo of it, even harder to get full shot of plate on I.P. while its in wagon. :cheers:

Thanks Mudblugger & Snailtrail. The information is helping to build a profile. The boss/drain mentioned by Snail above is shown clearly on the FTE block in Post #20, second picture, below the red circle. The drain plug in the cooler are also a very good visual non-invasive indicator of early vs. late.

Steve

Thanks Mudblugger & Snailtrail. The information is helping to build a profile. The boss/drain mentioned by Snail above is shown clearly on the FTE block in Post #20, second picture, below the red circle. The drain plug in the cooler are also a very good visual non-invasive indicator of early vs. late.

Steve

Hi guys I thought i would comment here, Im from Australia and have just bought a 1HD-FT IMPORT motor, i have no details on engine history what so ever however that it is supposed to be late model 1hdft BECAUSE it has EGR and little black security box on side of injector pump the engine was apparently imported from Dubai, it is very rusty and not real pretty , all the stickers are missing however it runs great, i hope i havent bought a dud! :S . Here are all the numbers hope you can find out some more info for me cheers, it also came with a manual flywheel.

Injector pump - 22100-17881 BIG NO# 788

Engine Block No - 0131194

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom