1hdft auto transmission issue(?), pls help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellow mudders,
I’ve been lurking on the forum for a while now and have learnt so much from you guys but now I’m hoping if I can ask for some help please?
I’m trying to help out a friend who has just put a new engine and auto transmission into his 1996 Landcruiser VX 1hdft 24 valve. It’s the A442F trans.
The engine and transmission were separated for transport. He’s put both into the vehicle and the engine starts and runs like a dream.
When it’s in neutral or park it will rev up nicely right up to the red line if he wants to but, in Drive, even stationary with foot on the brake, it will only rev to about 1200rpm. Trying to drive it it will only go about 30-40 km/h and it feels like it’s stuck in top gear with no drive at all. It’s slightly better in low ratio.
It struggles to drive back into the garage up and over the concrete lip which is only 2”high!
We have the FSMs and have made a big list of possibilities from vacuum pipes to faulty sensors to torque converter not going in properly but I just wondered if anyone could help please with any ideas please to narrow it down?
Thanks in advance.

Is your A442F a later version with electronics or an early full hydraulic version. I almost wonder if your transmission is shifting really early. For an early trans, you can make sure your kickdown cable is adjusted so there isn't any slack. For the later version, I believe you have relays that control shifting...

Is your A442F a later version with electronics or an early full hydraulic version. I almost wonder if your transmission is shifting really early. For an early trans, you can make sure your kickdown cable is adjusted so there isn't any slack. For the later version, I believe you have relays that control shifting...
Thanks for replying. To be honest I’m not sure. there’s definitely an “ecu” behind the glove box. Or is there a better way of confirming?

Finally we’ve sorted it. It was a connector right up hard against the firewall that wasn’t fully pushed in and connected to its female properly. We diagnosed it by pulling the dtc codeS which told us solenoid 1 and 3 were at fault. Traced the wires back to the ecu and found 2 were making a connection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom