1hdft and 1hdfte cylinder head differances? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Copied this from my thread in the 80s forum. It was recommended I ask here.

I've cracked the head on my 1hdft. To much loud pedal :bang:

Cant find a 1hdft head here in New Zealand. Toyota NZ says it has been discontinued. They have a 1hdfte head but cant tell me if there are any differences between models.
I'm aware the 'e' designation is for electronic fuel pump and mine is mechanical.
Can anybody tell me if the heads are differant or not?
I want to swap over my old valves, cams etc from my 1hdft head, on to the 1hdfte bare head
Thanks for any advice.

Yes they’re different, but it’s more in coolant flow and rocker cover design I think. Although whether the FT head gear (valves, shaft etc.) fit I don’t know - there may have been a change if collets too. But a fully assembled FTE head will bolt up and work just fine (well better actually) to the FT block. Pretty sure the FT injectors will go straight in too

Can confirm, friend runs FTE head on top of FT block. It was a complete head though, so I don't know what you can move over either.

After asking on several forums including here and talking to an engine reconditioner in Aussie, I went ahead an purchased the 1hdfte head.
The engine reconditioner swapped over all my 1hdft head internals to the 1hdfte head. All fitted up perfectly. Just needed an new rocker cover from a 1hdfte.
Thanks all for your advice.
Toyota NZ said it couldn't be done.

I might be tempted to ask Graeme @ GTurbo. He has done an enormous amount of work on later model FT and FTE
engines

And for an additional data point - pistons are not the same between FT and FTE. Recently I was sent a FT piston, instead of a FTE and the combustion chamber is completely different.

Top left is the FT piston (17080). The other 3 are FTE pistons (17120)

0-02-05-b8cf192caeca69bec57a7518feca304225434854eaab419cd0c45650f0aa7b9c_1c6d9f5fa208ae.jpg

After asking on several forums including here and talking to an engine reconditioner in Aussie, I went ahead an purchased the 1hdfte head.
The engine reconditioner swapped over all my 1hdft head internals to the 1hdfte head. All fitted up perfectly. Just needed an new rocker cover from a 1hdfte.
Thanks all for your advice.
Toyota NZ said it couldn't be done.
Just an FYI, you can use your FT valve cover on the FTE head. I ran one on mine for years. You just have to plug the unused holes with 6mm grub screws and a bit of sealant.

20121220_140809.jpg

Just an FYI, you can use your FT valve cover on the FTE head. I ran one on mine for years. You just have to plug the unused holes with 6mm grub screws and a bit of sealant.

View attachment 2493562
Thanks mate!
The FTE rocker cover interfered with my custom intake and I was about to chop it up and shift everything until you posted up this info. And thank you you are correct! my old rocker cover bolts up, just need to fill in extra holes as you said.
Awesome! Thanks very much for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom