1hd-t with td05 mamba not boosting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Long story short, the Ct20b I had on my 1hd-t started leaking a fair bit of oil and decided to upgrade to a td05 16g 7cm and 12 + 12 blades mamba. The car was going quite nicely and had a good response down low (unfortunately I don't have any numbers to compare it with)
Bolted it on and after a few feeks of testing I am only able to get 4 psi at 1600 rpm and 10 psi at 2000 rpm and then it really comes alive.
I tried a variety of combination, ran with the boost line to the wastegate actuator off, ran without the downpipe and I still get the same results with a max boost of 23 psi.
If I remove the boost controller I only get 14 psi max.
I did not touch the fuel screw yet because it is quite smokey
Adjusted the wastegate actuator arm to its shortest position.
Going to upload a couple of pictures and videos of the wastegate gate as was checking if the gate sealed off completely.
Not really sure what to do or where to look next. Any suggestions, ideas, tweaks will be appreciated

Forgot to add that I'm running a top mount, 3" straight through exhaust and changed oil and all filters 500km ago

Checking how freely the blades spun.

Checking if wastegate gate sealed properly

What exhaust turbine does it have? Is it a typical Mamba 7 blade or whatever they use which is ideal for an engine that revs to the moon and back?

What exhaust turbine does it have? Is it a typical Mamba 7 blade or whatever they use which is ideal for an engine that revs to the moon and back?
They don't do 7 blade turbines, typically they use 9 or 12 blades depending on which kit you purchase. I've never heard of any manufacturer using 7 blade turbines but would be interesting to see/try. I've used the 9 blade Mamba turbines and you don't need to rev to the moon for it to spin, I could easily get over 20psi before 2000rpm with it.

If it's smokey down low with little boost, and then comes alive up high, it sounds to me like the turbo is poorly matched to the motor in some way. Likely more of a petrol engine turbo perhaps? Can you post a link to the exact turbo you've bought?

If it's smokey down low with little boost, and then comes alive up high, it sounds to me like the turbo is poorly matched to the motor in some way. Likely more of a petrol engine turbo perhaps? Can you post a link to the exact turbo you've bought?

There's been a few people running these turbos around it's been working fine for them. Here's the link to the turbo.

Are you running the stiffest spring you have in the wastegate actuator? I ran that actuator (or maybe it was the kinugawa) in the past, and the springs were nowhere near stiff enough for the boost level they were marked as. The spring I started with was allowing the wastegate to open under exhaust pressure alone, at well below the boost level it was meant for. I fitted the stiffest spring that came with it, and that fixed it.

Are you running the stiffest spring you have in the wastegate actuator? I ran that actuator (or maybe it was the kinugawa) in the past, and the springs were nowhere near stiff enough for the boost level they were marked as. The spring I started with was allowing the wastegate to open under exhaust pressure alone, at well below the boost level it was meant for. I fitted the stiffest spring that came with it, and that fixed it.

Yes fitted the stiffest spring and wastegate starts opening at around 22 psi

If it opens at 22psi with just air pressure to the actuator, it probably opens a fair bit earlier with exhaust pressure pushing on the wastegate flap. To rule out wastegate creep you might want to try wiring the wastegate shut.

If it opens at 22psi with just air pressure to the actuator, it probably opens a fair bit earlier with exhaust pressure pushing on the wastegate flap. To rule out wastegate creep you might want to try wiring the wastegate shut.

Tried that as well, wired it with binding wire and no change although there is no way of knowing if it opens a couple of mm even with the wire

Maybe more fuel on the main fuel screw, my td05 18g had a real doughy response below 2000 till I gave it just 1/4 turn on the main fuel screw, woke it.
Jeff
p.s. also found on average, max boost was about 7psi below static crack pressure, as in operation emp is assisting by acting on the wastegate flap. I ended up ordering the red spring from mamba and setting it to 32psi crack pressure which gave about 25psi boost with it hooked up.
Found the same 7psi difference with the max spring that came with the kit, I think crack pressure I set to 25psi but in operation it was about 18psi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom