1HD-T Turbocharger from 7M-GTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys

i am in trouble and seeking your advice.

I have a 78 Land Cruiser with the 1HD-T engine swapped. I have a PWR Water to air intercooler. yesterday i had to do some inspection and i removed one of the pipes between the turbocharger and the intake and noted that it is kinda oily in there.

first guess was that the oil catch can isn't doing its job, but that was wrong, there is no oil in the hose before the turbo....

soo, seems that my turbo is getting old....

Question 1: i am planning to do a trip this weekend (about 1500 miles). do you think it would last for this without damaging the engine giving it too much oil?

Question 2: i have a old 7M-GTE Supra in the barn, the cylinder head is damaged and the car is not in good condition, i think i am never going to repair it. But there is a brand new CT26 turbo in it with a bigger compressor wheel. Would this turbo fit to the 1HD-T? is it better anyway to fit this turbo instead of a 1HD-T turbo?

if i do the job with the supra it is going to be a late night action, the car has to run on Friday ;)

Thank you for your advice

How much oil is oily?

good question, the Intercooler core is having a little sump in the bottom, not super - worse but more than expected.... i will post a photo soon....

Check for anything that might be effecting crank case pressure before you go replacing the turbo. Plugged PCV, plugged vacuum lines, etc. Also check the oil drain line coming out of the turbo and make sure it's clear. If pressure builds up, it will force oil out the seals of the turbo. The turbo can survive this and return to normal service if you catch it early on.

thanks @Heckraiser we did, everything was ok. crank case pressure was ok too, i tested with removing the filler cap while the engine was running....

so we changed the turbo last night. we'll see how it performs after the weekend.... first test ride shows that i lost torque in the low RPM (as expected) but got a lot more in the high rpm, can easily go 500rpm higher than before without loosing torque / boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom