1HD-T ticking noise from cylinder head (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!
Ive come for some wisdom!!
2 years ago i did a full engine rebuild on my 1HDT and at the time I didn’t know too much about the engine and i had a typical mechanic that didn’t know too much about the engine either, so story short he broke my camshaft and at the time i found a brand new 1HZ replacement so we used it, the engine rebuild went fine…. Couple thousand kms later i noticed a ticking sound coming from the cylinder head and we checked we found that the 1HZ camshaft actually broke 1 Valve shim and of course it did some damage to the camshaft too so i found an used OEM 1HDT camshaft and we put it in the engine changed the shim and it started working perfectly again! That was 6 months ago and a couple of days ago i started hearing a similar sound in the same area, im wondering if the previous camshaft did some extra damage besides breaking the valve shim? Can someone identify the ticking sound it makes??
83F0A6CD-8612-4DA1-B438-5D340D248BC5.png

7C6327DF-E8AE-43BC-8BE6-5C113449B510.png

Btw at first after reading a ton of threads i changed the BEB’s and there were fine!

Heres the video of the ticking sound:

Btw at first after reading a ton of threads i changed the BEB’s and there were fine!

Heres the video of the ticking sound:

Have you had any other engine problems? (Lack of power, hesitation, etc…) Have you done any fluid changes recently? I can definitely hear the ticking you are talking about. I am a recent owner of an HDJ81 that has the 1-HDT engine. I noticed an extra “clacking” sound but not as loud as yours. I haven’t had any power interruptions or power lag when I accelerate. I don’t have a lot of experience to offer but I hope you find out what it is.

Have you had any other engine problems? (Lack of power, hesitation, etc…) Have you done any fluid changes recently? I can definitely hear the ticking you are talking about. I am a recent owner of an HDJ81 that has the 1-HDT engine. I noticed an extra “clacking” sound but not as loud as yours. I haven’t had any power interruptions or power lag when I accelerate. I don’t have a lot of experience to offer but I hope you find out what it is.

The video above sounds like valve clearances are too wide. Needs shims redone.

The 1hd-t typically tick. The injectors and infection pump will tick.

There's a lot of good info for these engines in the diesel tech section of the forum

I have a 1HD-T with a rebuilt engine that has contracted the exact same tick, I'm checking the shims tonight but would love to know what you found!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom