1hd-t powered hdj80 overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1992 model hdj80 is overheating:mad: when i'm on the highway only if i'm hitting 150+kph.Even if I drive for hours with speed not over 120kph, my temp gauge is below half. But if i hit the 150+kph, the temp gauge starts to go up and my aircon starts to get warm.What is the cause of this guys??need help here..I'm from the Philippines btw..

check your thermostat?
is your radiator in good shape?
check coolant level?

maybe your fan-clutch needs to be rebuilt?

many possibilities

Check them all tomorrow,i think my radiator is the culprit,my coolant level is normal.i dont now about the thermostat if it is still ok.update u tomorrow.

150km/h is pretty freaking quick in one of these trucks.
Will it happen say at about 120? or just the high speed?
Slow down if that is the culprit.

Last year,when my truck is still stock, i can go over 150kph easily and even go 180.even when i changed my tires to 33. I still can go to 150 w/o overheating. The problem started when i used mineral oil(castrol 10w40) instead of what i was used togo with(motul fully synthetic 5w40).i replaced the oil after a month with mobil 1 5w50 fully synthetic oil.but still the the temp gauge is high if i hit 150 kph.

Where in the Philippines can you consistently go that fast? Definitely not the metropolitan areas...lol. If I were in your shoes, I'd thoroughly flush the cooling system, change the thermostat, and fill it up with fresh coolant.

How old is the water pump?

mobil 1 5w50 fully synthetic oil.but still the the temp gauge is high if i hit 150 kph.

the one for gassers .?

fisrt .. I don't trust in stock factory gauges ..

secodn .. 150km/h with 33" that means you are going really fast .. means you are pedal to the metal .. there is a chance that it's just too much fuel on your engine ..

one of the expressway here(SCTEX).there is not much patrollers here so you can speed up to your limits..i need to go 150kph because my grandpas lc200 is so fast that i can't go slower than 150 when i'm in one of his convoys..

bought already a new clutch fan and thermostat..gonna change it tommorow...update you of the results..
i think my water pump is still the original..my rig is a 92' model so the water pump is 19yrs old

At those consistent high speeds your most likely on full boost constantly so any deficiency in your cooling system will show. I'm guessing you've got really high humidity in the Philippines too hey? That would not be helping. I'd be looking at the fan clutch firstly...

one of the expressway here(SCTEX).there is not much patrollers here so you can speed up to your limits..i need to go 150kph because my grandpas lc200 is so fast that i can't go slower than 150 when i'm in one of his convoys.

Nice...I had to Google that expressway to find out where it is. My family is mostly from Bacolod...and I can't ever remember a time in my life where we were able to go that fast anywhere in Iloilo or Bacolod...LOL. Guess we're a bit of a hicktown compared to Bagio. :D

should i mod my new fan clutch with the blue hub or keep it that way..
how can i change the fluids in it??

Son, you're killing that engine! Those 1HDT's are too old for such speeds. I guess every car whith that age gets cooling problems. You are shortening the lifespan of the engine that way.

Buy a new/fresher one!

Or modify the car for those speeds; no lights in front of the radiator, no stuff on the roof, original tyres (maybe even smaller and thinner), make it as light as possible.

A veyron needs 300 hp to get to 200 kmh; the other 700 hp are for the next 200 kmh. You see the problem you have with your cruiser? It's too big and heavy for those speeds: modify or by new.

Hey dags... its a pretty old diesel & tranny man... was it burning the 5w40?

FWIW, a near perfect radiator & coolant is where i would start with... dont forget to check all undercarriage studs & connections :eek:

i do those speed occasionally (cruise 130-140km/h, sporadic 170km/h) with 15w40 without o/heating, but mine's a 24valve.

Last edited:
what I would do:
1) slow down

if you can't do that
2) flush/fill radiator
3) remove roof rack anything in front of grill
4) rebuild fan with blue hub
5) add a bigger oil cooler
6) go to 3" exhaust
7) add intercooler

but mostly, I'd slow down

Me too - overheating but I think I found a solution

My 1992 model hdj80 is overheating:mad: when i'm on the highway only if i'm hitting 150+kph.Even if I drive for hours with speed not over 120kph, my temp gauge is below half. But if i hit the 150+kph, the temp gauge starts to go up and my aircon starts to get warm.What is the cause of this guys??need help here..I'm from the Philippines btw..

I have a 95 LC, 2.5 OME Lift, 33s, ARB Fron Bumper w Warm M1200 with 185K miles. A week ago I was driving north of Harrisburg, PA (near Rausch Creek) to the foothills of the Pocono Mountains near Scranton, PA. There is a steady uphill grade almost the entire 2 hour trip. I had the A/C at max going 70MPH. About an hour into the steady grade climb I noticed that the A/C was cutting out. I knew it was not the A/C because I had just had the compressor replaced. Then I noticed that the engine temp was between 1/2 way and the red zone. On down hills it would go back to 1/2 and the A/C would come back on. By the time I got to my desination the temp gauge was getting pretty close to the red zone. I got to thinking about why the 80 was overheating. Was it the ARB bumper and Warn M1200 that I had recently installed blocking the radiator? Or was it the way I had mounted the liscence plate? I decided to remove the liscence plate which I had installed at a 20 degree angle (see pic). I figured that the plate must be diverting the air over the grill and onto the hood. There was also no room for air to go under the plate and through the bumper to the radiator. On the way home I did notice that the engine temp would go up slightly after climbing a long mountain grade but it seemed to be doing much better. I have sense reversed the ARB mounting bracket and mounted the plate straight up thereby giving a gap below to allow air flow under the lisc plate and through the bumper to the radiator. Temp gauge has not gone past 1/2 mark since but mostly local non-mountain type driving. Do you think I am cured or do you think I might still have a problem?
April 27 2011 download 059.jpg

ok...finally changed my clutch fan,thermostat, water pump and timing belt.

i test drive it a while ago..at 130kph,gauge went above the half level so i slowed down...after
it normalized, i step on it again cruising at 130kph for 20min but this time it did not make the half level.

gonna make another test run tommorow 140kph for a longer time in a 37degree celsius day,..

Hi from a yank living in the Philippines

Hi guys, This is my first post buy in looking through treads for some info I need I found this one. Having been an aircraft mech with a 40 year hot rod background I hope some of this will help. When drag racing we use to remove the thermostat completely. This worked in hot weather at high engine temps. As I live in the Philippines now with the constant temps here this should work. I also fill the radiator with coolant and not water . Ensure you flush and reverse flush the radiator) I use Mobil One at all times in both the engine and trans as it will not break down under high heat. I use an electric fan for aux cooling but have a manual switch so I can control the temp. When I have trouble getting Mobil one I get my son to send it in a balikbayn box. I also, like many here do not put anything in front of the grill/radiator. I am building a front guard assy to mount the lights under the bumper (a law here). The truck will be mostly stock and am presently looking for the stock steel wheels and hubcaps. I will rebuild the wheels (cut center out and re-weld in a larger rim) in order to get more rubber on them. Hope this helps.
Lee

Hello ppl this is my first time posting I have a 80 series which had a hard start problem once the engine was hot I've got the rotor head changed it seems OK but my mechanic says the radiator is building up pressure he's suspecting the head gasket is gone but the temp gauge is low kindly requesting for suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom