1HD-T: oil pooling around valves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy of mine and I pulled the valve cover off yesterday to see if any adjustments needed to be made. While in there we noticed a fair amount of oil pooling near the front of the engine. Is this considered normal?

IMG_7849.jpg

My truck consumes almost no oil at low speeds, but really starts to gulp it when driving for prolonged periods of time at high speeds. To put that in perspective, an 80 mile trip at ~70mph will consume half a quart (or about halfway between the F and E marks on the dipstick). There is no blowby, no smoky exhaust, and no other real signs of a major issue other than some rattling i've spent the last 4 years trying to track down. I've been told it could be the oil restrictor, which may have gone missing when the head was taken off several years ago. Any other ideas?

If there is no drain hole there, it will accumulate.
An old diesel needs 20/50 oil. But realistically, the engine sounds like a rebuild is due.

If there is no drain hole there, it will accumulate.
An old diesel needs 20/50 oil. But realistically, the engine sounds like a rebuild is due.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not so sure it needs a full rebuild just yet, especially since it has 150,000km and hasn't been abused (at least by me). There are no other negative performance issues other than oil consumption at prolonged high speeds and the pooling in the valve cover. Of course, I am preparing for the worst once we take the head off in a couple weeks...

Most 1HZ and 1HD T use very little between 5000klm oil changes. So you do have some kind of problem there.
Hold a tissue up to the exhaust and see if you get droplets of oil when you rev it.

If its losing oil, it can only be going out the exhaust or leaking onto the ground. It cant disappear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom