1HD-T oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This truck has had a slow oil leak since I got it home last August, didn't appear to be an issue before the long trip home from Vancouver, as the shop I had do some work on it didn't observe anything when they were doing some maintenance on it for me before the trip. I've been very slow to get around to diagnosing this, and just lived with the slow drip on my garage floor till now.

I had convinced myself it was the oil feed/return hardlines off the center section, as it's apparently a common issue on these trucks. I got under the truck today to have a closer look, and it appears that area is bone dry, along with the hot side, but the compressor side is coated in oil. There's really nothing above the turbo that could be a source that I can see, so I'm now thinking it's my actual turbo that's leaking. Pics 1 & 2 are from under the truck, of the oil feed/return hardline, and the compressor housing respectively, and #3 is from above of the compressor section.

Recently, I've also got some oil staining around the intake manifold/crossover pipe junction, which I fear supports my theory that the turbo is letting oil past. Pic #4 is of the oil on the intake manifold, there appears to be some oil under the manifold on the intake side of the engine as well.

So, what am I looking at here exactly? What has failed, and what do I need to do to fix it? Seal in the turbo? Rebuild/new turbo?

IMG_1659[1].JPG

IMG_1660[1].JPG

IMG_1662[1].JPG

IMG_1663[1].JPG

it looks like you will have plenty oil in your intake .. take a look inside of your cross over pipe ..

how bad it's the oil consumption ?

Had this problem, oil caked on the comp housing... It picked up just about everything under the sun.

Added catch can. Replaced bands that tighten the rubber connector between turbo and crossover and it's been fine ever since

Oil consumption has not been an issue, I check it often but rarely need to add anything. I don't have a boost gauge yet but power feels fine so the turbo is still working other than this oil issue.

A catchcan would intercept oil going from the valve cover to the neck off the air box, correct? So it would prevent oil from getting into the turbo fresh air inlet, through the compressor side, and into the crossover pipe/intake manifold? I could just pull the airbox elbow and if there's oil pre-turbo that would confirm my causation?

Reactions: mac
A catchcan would intercept oil going from the valve cover to the neck off the air box, correct?

Correct ..

Mine looked the same as yours. I always had some oil but one day it was more then usual. It turned out to be the turbo and one fin was starting to crack.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435420023.552977.jpg

Mine looked the same as yours. I always had some oil but one day it was more then usual. It turned out to be the turbo and one fin was starting to crack.

View attachment 1099055

Well that's not really what I want to hear, lol. Any other symptoms besides the oily turbo and intake tract?

Everything seemed fine, boost was maybe 1-2 psi lower then usual. I got lucky and caught it at the right time. Upgrading was fun!

How would a cracked fin cause increased oil escape? I'm not following the logic there.

I'm not thinking that's my issue, my exhaust isn't real smoky, just a puff when you start it, and a light haze under hard acceleration. My oil consumption also isn't an issue, my only symptom is really the mess. When I get a chance I'll pull the air filter to turbo inlet plumbing off and see if I've got oil from the valve cover vent hose down, and see where things go from there. Hoping I just need a catch can, and a good cleaning.

How would a cracked fin cause increased oil escape? I'm not following the logic there.

I'm not thinking that's my issue, my exhaust isn't real smoky, just a puff when you start it, and a light haze under hard acceleration. My oil consumption also isn't an issue, my only symptom is really the mess. When I get a chance I'll pull the air filter to turbo inlet plumbing off and see if I've got oil from the valve cover vent hose down, and see where things go from there. Hoping I just need a catch can, and a good cleaning.

A quick test would be to clean that oil up quickly, run the hose to under the truck and ill guarantee you 99% it won't come back to the way it is now. a leaking turbo would push oil back to your filter... there is only one thing before the turbo and that is your breather

I don't know what caused the fin to crack or if that had anything to do with the excess oil. It's just what I found when I was looking into why I had excess oil. Clean it up and add a catch and see how it goes, it's probably just fine.

I pulled the valve cover vent tube where it enters the intake tract just past the air filter housing, and it was full of oil. So at the very least I am getting blow-by, and a catch can should help with that. As this is now a known issue, I'll start there, get everything cleaned up, and see if I've got any further issues. If I ever get around to adjusting the valves, I'll bend the metal tab in to cut down on oil getting into that tube in the 1st place as well. Thanks for the help with diagnosing, appreciate the input!

Curious what this ended up being. I've got oil in my intake, still checking things out but trying to gather as much info as I can

I have THE dame issue, HDT , km 360 K oil consumption is aprox 1kg every 2000 km .
but THE oil that escapes from turbo or head stassi al the bottom of THE curve of air filter .
could but in a catch can , but honestly don’t watt to add someting more in THE Engineer baby .

This truck has had a slow oil leak since I got it home last August, didn't appear to be an issue before the long trip home from Vancouver, as the shop I had do some work on it didn't observe anything when they were doing some maintenance on it for me before the trip. I've been very slow to get around to diagnosing this, and just lived with the slow drip on my garage floor till now.

I had convinced myself it was the oil feed/return hardlines off the center section, as it's apparently a common issue on these trucks. I got under the truck today to have a closer look, and it appears that area is bone dry, along with the hot side, but the compressor side is coated in oil. There's really nothing above the turbo that could be a source that I can see, so I'm now thinking it's my actual turbo that's leaking. Pics 1 & 2 are from under the truck, of the oil feed/return hardline, and the compressor housing respectively, and #3 is from above of the compressor section.

Recently, I've also got some oil staining around the intake manifold/crossover pipe junction, which I fear supports my theory that the turbo is letting oil past. Pic #4 is of the oil on the intake manifold, there appears to be some oil under the manifold on the intake side of the engine as well.

So, what am I looking at here exactly? What has failed, and what do I need to do to fix it? Seal in the turbo? Rebuild/new turbo?

View attachment 1098579
View attachment 1098580
View attachment 1098581
View attachment 1098582

I can help on the last picture, I had this leak exactly the same.
1665261890180.png

you need 1 gasket part 1711517010 GASKET, INTAKE MANIFOLD HOLE COVER

Is really easy to change just unbolt 3 bolts, clean that area until shiny and place the gasket
When you remove the bolts you can make space and move a bit just enough to change it you dont need to remove anything else.
Been 1 year without that leak.

For the rest of your pictures I can't tell what it is.
Kind Regards. :beer:

1665261685460.png

Attachments

• 1665261707064.png
    1665261707064.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I can help on the last picture, I had this leak exactly the same.
View attachment 3135170

you need 1 gasket part 1711517010 GASKET, INTAKE MANIFOLD HOLE COVER

Is really easy to change just unbolt 3 bolts, clean that area until shiny and place the gasket
When you remove the bolts you can make space and move a bit just enough to change it you dont need to remove anything else.
Been 1 year without that leak.

For the rest of your pictures I can't tell what it is.
Kind Regards. :beer:

View attachment 3135167

That oil leaking there is an accumulation of oil in the intake from the pcv system. Not a failed gasket. Until you do something to correct that situation the leak will return.

There is no oil that can get there through any other means.

That oil leaking there is an accumulation of oil in the intake from the pcv system. Not a failed gasket. Until you do something to correct that situation the leak will return.

There is no oil that can get there through any other means.

There was not any gasket when I removed it only RTV, probably from a previous owner.
I have HDJ100L general countries with 1HDT and I believe only the Europe version came with a EGR system.
Will look into that.

There was not any gasket when I removed it only RTV, probably from a previous owner.
I have HDJ100L general countries with 1HDT and I believe only the Europe version came with a EGR system.
Will look into that.

It's not an egr issue. It's a pcv issue. And it's not even a 1hdt issue. Almost ever rig with forced induction and a pcv would benefit from a catch can.

I don't recommend a catch can, mine had an internal (invisible) screen that clogged which built back crank case pressure and blow my dipstick out and dumped oil EVERYWHERE in my engine bay. Luckily I happened to be at a gas station in the middle-of-freakin' nowhere to get oil, otherwise I would have been completely screwed. I still need to replace my hood liner. Took me a minute to figure out that it was clogged despite being empty! Now I just run a hose down into my frame rail, it doesn't leak enough oil to be concerned about environmentally IMO.

Also worth noting that I started running 20/50 oil this summer and my overall consumption has dropped dramatically, like almost nonexistent now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom