1HD-T into BJ74 project, help & advice needed please.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Despite being relatively new here, I’ve being playing around with cruisers and other 4x4’s for several years, that said every day is a school day and I still have plenty to learn. So I’d appreciate any help and advice you may have, I apologise in advance if any of this has been covered, I have searched through several threads but can’t quite find the answers I’m looking for. Also I’m in the U.K. so parts etc for certain cruisers aren’t readily available.

So I recently acquired a BJ74 project which another member on here had transplanted a 1HD-T engine into, he’d adjusted the engine mounts etc and then lost interest.. long story short I purchased it and I just got the engine running yesterday to check it all out..

I’d originally purchased it with the intention of putting the engine / box & axles into / onto my BJ43 ( which is currently in stock condition with a B engine & 4 speed manual ). However once I’ve had a look at the 74 I decided it would make a good daily driver and probably best to leave the little 43 as is?

Having decided to keep the 1HD in the 74, I need to address the following issues;

- What sensors etc do I use on the engine? (Given that they’re all 12volt and the 74 is 24volt )

- What radiator should I use. ( I think I’ve currently got the original BJ74 rad from the 13bt engine with both top & bottom hose connectors on the same side, where I’m assuming the 80 would have coolant hoses at opposite sides)?

- Looking at the forum, I see the previous owner ran into issues with clearance on the front diff, he’s lifted the engine mounts up approximately 2” and while it does clear I think the engine will sit too high for the fan cowling etc, so I’d like to change these if possible, even if that means changing or modifying the sump ( can this be done)?

- Wiring! Does anyone have good wiring diagrams of the BJ74 Engine wiring and the HD80 wiring please so I can make the two work, as mentioned above I’d like to work out which sensors I could replace to 24 volt ( oil pressure, temp etc so hopefully the whole thing will run 24 volts )

- vacuum pipes, literally no idea here.. I don’t know what the 1HD needs or what it had if any?

- finally I’d like to put lockers on it, at least a rear locker, any suggestions?

oh and if anyone has a 13bt with a h55 gearbox for sale for the BJ43 drop me a line please..

I’ll post some pics soon and hopefully make some headway with it.

Thanks in advance.

search is your friend.

use a 1990-2006 hzj7x radiator. I don't mind the later plastic/aluminum radiators.

Tach sensor and fuel cut are in same plug on pump those you must id.

Vacuum pump is on left front of engine and a crossover pipe is fitted with turbo water pipe above the water pump- kinda hard to retrofit. The correct toyota part is found on HDJ79's. Vacuum reservoir is on right side of firewall (for all 70 series) and unless you want to make up stuff keep it there. If you have ac you may want to use the smaller line off vacuum pump to provide idle up switch vacuum on the left side of engine.

Thanks Rick,

I’m thinking that a 79 rad will be hard to find here in the UK.

I haven’t located the tach wire yet, but I did rig the stop solenoid to 12volts just to see if the old girl fired up.. and she ran like a dream.. ideally I’d like to find a 24 volt stop solenoid and wonder if the temp sensor will work as it’s also designed for a 12volt motor..?

Re vacuum setup I’ve no idea of what there should be on this engine, I.e where do the pipes connect to? Does anyone have a diagram?

the biggest issue is not having removed the donor engine myself, I’m not to familiar with how it should look and what goes where, sadly harnesses have been chopped, pipes removed and I’m not to sure what should fit where, I’ve looked at the pics on your build and they are handy so thank you. I guess I’ll have to dig into it a little deeper and post some pics so you can see what I’m working with..

I appreciate the info though.

Tach: on engine side of pump along with cut solenoid. The three prong plug on the pump has one wire for fuel cut the other two are for tach.

Radiator: you need ANY radiator for "hz series" made after 1990 and before the 2007 wide nose conversion. 16 years to choose from.

Vacuum : you must look at your system now and understand what you need to connect to run brakes and clutch on the original BJ74 system. You need a reservoir to keep vacuum to use brakes more than once. Find that.
Then understand now you do not have a vacuum pump on the alternator any longer on the right side of engine. You generate vacuum from the left front of engine next to the power steering pump.

You do need a tiny bit of vacuum for an ac system to kick the pump up when the drag of the compressor kicks in. It is easier to put on left side of engine but I think your wiring is on right side. Understand the "idle up circuit"

wiring if cut is a nightmare and that is why you got someone else's project truck (hopefully for a deal). Bright people flag all the connections.

hdj tube.JPG

Valuable info once again, thanks I’ll take a look tomorrow and post my findings on here, that’s helped a great deal. I’ll try and make sense of the wiring, I’ve just managed to download copies of both the 80 & 74 series FSM, so hopefully with the info above this should give me something to work with..

Hi guys,

so for anyone interested at all in this thread, I’ll attach some progress pics below.

Basically after a bit of deliberation this morning I’ve decided that the PO probably got the engine sitting too high, personally I think it should sit lower what do you guys think?

I placed a bit of 1” box on top of the wings ( fenders ) and it seems very high at the front, also I don’t think the current engine mount set up is great.. although I can see why he’s lifted it like this, perhaps I might need to look at lifting the suspension as mentioned elsewhere on here, I guess the original leaf springs will be sagging by now as well.
8CD1AC60-B037-404A-953F-1C27A578029E.jpeg
8CD1AC60-B037-404A-953F-1C27A578029E.jpeg
10E08C5A-AEC3-4ECA-940C-4DD5C9F5269F.jpeg
B38E85E0-84C3-49C1-AC1C-456E8E4B7D62.jpeg
A96A6002-3C5E-4BA6-A6F4-1EDBA962DC4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Also while it’s out I figure I’d best give her a good bath, and check the BEB’s too ...

If you want to set the engine right.
use 70 series 1hz support arms (used are fine they are cast)
and buy 2000-2006 hzj78/9 factory weld on mounts
and new rubber motor mounts.

look like 80 series mount arms. ancient rubber mounts, and jacked up weld on mounts.

a 70 series oil pan will also fix most issues.

and good god that is dirty

Thanks Rick,

Following your advice, I’ve ordered the parts mentioned above from overseas so it looks like they might take a week or so to arrive, in the meantime I’ll take the engine out, wash it off and check it over and try and figure some wiring out too.

Thanks again for your help.

Ok guys, so sorry it’s been a while, finally managed to get the parts I required as recommended by Rick_d ( thank you )

so I’ve got the engine sitting in much nicer now, and I’m now starting the arduous task of mating the two very badly chopped wiring harnesses, having got the stop solenoid wired to 12v I wonder is there a 24v version of the same part available? Also I’d like to replace temp and oil pressure sensors with 24v if possible any part numbers or vehicles with this setup would be handy.

I think the biggest issue I’m having is I can’t seem to locate a fuse box under the bonnet / hood I’m assuming it should be near the batteries is that correct? If so would I be better getting a 70 series one and retro fitting everything through that?

I’ve attached a few more photos the fist one is inside the right hand side wing, does anyone have a clue what these wires are for please? A/c maybe or the orange and green boost lights under the tachometer maybe?

Second pic is wiring from the 74 coming up between the batteries I assume these should fit into a fuse box?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

54D06C92-67F2-45DB-93C0-BE64015BCFB0.jpeg

C0615C21-02D7-4AC4-9A61-6E66750BC149.jpeg

Those two plugs go back and over the bellhousing on a bj74 there are two fat wires in that loom also that go to the glowscreen.

The wireing on the drivers side is suposed to go to the alternator.

Pic attached it's filthy but it's supposed to be.
Have you got a 12v or 24v starter?

IMG_20210806_160913.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Earwig,

I have the 24v starter but everything else on the engine appears to be 12v hence the search for 24v parts..

Ok I hadn’t thought of that option I’d just assumed it would be easier to change the engine to 24v.. do you happen to know if I am missing a fuse box under the bonnet ( I.e is there usually one under a BJ74? )

Don't think there's a fuse box there's fusable links and a little power box thing. But mine has a lot of wireing missing most of the body is cut off no lights or dash pull cable to shut down. Only have two fuses one for ignition one for charge.

Don't think there's a fuse box there's fusable links and a little power box thing. But mine has a lot of wireing missing most of the body is cut off no lights or dash pull cable to shut down. Only have two fuses one for ignition one for charge.

Ok thanks earwig at least I’m not looking for something that doesn’t exist.. I’ve managed to find a 24v alternator from a toyota coaster bus with the same engine, and I’m looking into a 24v fuel cut off solenoid now.. then in theory i just have to figure out the oil pressure switch and coolant temp sensor.. although I’m fairly sure these work off resistance and not voltage so maybe they’ll work hopefully someone with some electrical know how might chime in and educate me.. 🤣

So again it’s been a while since I’ve done anything with the old girl, but hopefully now I’ve carved a bit of time out to get this moving along..

So I’ve now gotten a new 24v alternator wired in and working, I’ve also got the temp sender, fuel stop and and oil pressure sorted, so it’s looking positive…

That is until I try and work out what exactly I’m going to do about the glow plug scenario, I’m assuming they’re 12v glow plugs on the 1hdt? Now granted it starts in an instant without the glow plugs, but I’d like to have them functional if possible. My thoughts therefore are as follows;

I’m curious if the coaster bus with the same engine has 24volt glow plugs?

Should I go to all the effort of making the fancy glow plug system work, or should I just find some equivalent 24 volt glow plugs and wire them to a push button in the dash, this option is simple but I would like to keep the factory option if any body has a work around solution they can think of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom