1HD-T / HDJ81 rattle and loss of power (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What we did discover was that the crankshaft was giving way too much end play. They think its a big end bearing failure.

I wouldnt have thought the BEB would do that. I would have thought that was more likely the crank bearings at each end causing end float.

I wouldnt have thought the BEB would do that. I would have thought that was more likely the crank bearings at each end causing end float.

This is what I am suspecting too. Im going to ask the guys at the shop to double check its the BEBs and not main bearings.

Last edited:
To rephrase what I said, its not the job of the BEB to hold the crank in place. Its the thrust? bearings at each end that do that.

To rephrase what I said, its not the job of the BEB to hold the crank in place. Its the thrust? bearings at each end that do that.

I think the FSM calls them Main bearings, but its looking like we're just going to replace all of the bearings and call it a day. Im supposed to know if the crank has any damage by this afternoon. Seems like the $$$ just keep piling up.

I think the FSM calls them Main bearings, but its looking like we're just going to replace all of the bearings and call it a day. Im supposed to know if the crank has any damage by this afternoon. Seems like the $$$ just keep piling up.

Very interested to see what they find when they open it up, thanks for keeping us updated.

My rattle noise has pretty well gone away, but I expect it will return when I change the oil again.

Following.

Does your shop have experience in these types of diesels?

Does your shop have experience in these types of diesels?

Some - one of the guys worked in Australia for many years on them. For Southern California, there are very few shops that have any experience with imported cruisers. This is about as good as I can get locally.

This is about as good as I can get locally.

I understand the situation. If it needs a new crank it will be a complete tear down. Get some pics if you can.

Please pour one out for my poor cruiser.

Engine has been pulled to evaluate the crankshaft. Here's a recap: after the torque converter and oil pump were replaced, it became abundantly clear that the crankshaft had too much play, slamming into the front of the engine when the throttle was hit. It looks like the thrust/main bearings are shot so they're being replaced. The good news is, at least at this stage, the crank is in good shape. Tolerances are being evaluated today and everything should be buttoned up by week's end. Again, I don't ever remember noticing this issue before, but they did show me the problem in person so I know they're not making things up.

The important thing to point out is that the rattle noise stopped after the torque converter and pump were replaced so I think we can close the book on the initial problem.

img958652.jpg

img958651.jpg

How many klms on this engine?

148,000. Can you believe it? :cry:

Not really. JDM vehicles odo's are probably all rolled back. If a sub 150000klm odometer was authentic, the price would probably be 50-100% more.

Not really. JDM vehicles odo's are probably all rolled back. If a sub 150000klm odometer was authentic, the price would probably be 50-100% more.

Well, prices here in the states are ridiculously inflated in the first place. Truck runs great otherwise, or at least it used to. My biggest concern at this point is the shop putting everything back together well. I don't think the ODO was rolled back and the guy that imported it assured me it was not (he bought the truck through family in Japan).

I've read excessive torque converter pressure can cause premature thrust bearing failure. Since my TC was bad and I neglected it for nearly a year, my guess is that this is what happened.

Last edited:
And here they are, the completely toasted bearings. Crank in good shape, rest of the engine looks good too. Any idea what happened here?

IMG_20180711_164914.jpg

IMG_20180711_164929.jpg

IMG_20180711_165151.jpg

IMG_20180711_165207.jpg

Last edited:
Possible PO was not truthful?

Yikes. What's the story with the discolored bearings? I've never seen anything like that before. Is the babbitt completely worn away?

How'd the crank thrust bearing look?

The other bearings looked worn but nowhere near as bad as those shown here. I have no idea whats going on with the corrosion / burn marks. The scoring on the other is pretty intense. They go deep.

Possible PO was not truthful?
Always possible but I think he was telling the truth from what he knew. He's a somewhat known member of this forum and is well respected. I haven't spoken to him about this yet. My guess is the original Japanese owner treated this like s*** and this is why im at where I am.

It almost looks like heat discoloring or tempering. Check out this link Tempering (metallurgy) - Wikipedia

Definitely my thought too until I felt it. Its got a whole new texture, but totally possible it was heat. Honestly, I just don't know what happened here. I have this posted on the 1HZ/HDT/FT/FTE group on FB and getting some interesting replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom