1HD-T / HDJ81 rattle and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s too bad.

All my engine parts are down at the machine shop at the moment so I can’t just run out and look but I think that must’ve come from a rod rather than the crank/main bearing. I don’t see oil galley holes in the bearing cap so I’m thinking it must’ve come from a rod big end? Can anyone else chime in?

Last edited:
Mine used to tick, there is a 'tang' on the fuel pump cold start advance, this is known to break off and screw your pump, apparently as the CSD wears the tang gets loose in the engagement slot?

I removed mine around 6 years back, and linked the two outlets with some rubber hose.

No tick, starts ok from stone cold, idle a little low for the first few minutes (oil drag) and runs perfect within a few minutes.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
I had a Honda Accord years ago that would stall when I pushed in the clutch. If I pushed it in slowly it wouldn't stall but you could see the temp gauge getting hot. I drove around for a while like that and just had to make quick gear changes before it stalled. I ended up pulling the pan and found the thrust bearings in the oil pan. Apparently every time I pushed the clutch it would push the crank forward into the block and cause it to stall. I slipped new thrust and main bearings in with the pan off and kept rolling. Tough engine.

I got the truck back today so I want to give a quick recap for anybody looking at this thread in the future so that they know how it all turned out.

The problem: I had a constant rattle sound near the transmission, as well as a loss of boost and power when hitting 4th gear. After dropping the transmission, we noticed the crankshaft had too much play so the entire engine was pulled to evaluate.

The solution: We replaced a bad torque converter and transmission fluid pump (not oil pump, as I had initially thought). The rattle sound disappeared.

The crankshaft had burned through all of its bearings. We still do not know what caused it, but we believe it was the importer who improperly installed the BEBs, which led to contamination and failure. The main bearings likely failed due to issues with the transmission and improper oil flow, which we believe was related to what the importer did to the truck. Again, we're not 100% sure this is the case, but the engine is running perfectly and it doesn't look like there is any additional damage.

Shout out to American Overland Expedition for their patience and help. There are few, if any, shops in Southern California that would be comfortable tearing a 1HD-T apart and repairing it.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180725100847747_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to this thread as I think I have became a victim of something similar. 1991 1HDT 105,000km. Not sure of the cause. I know I haven’t driven the truck extremely hard. People say that these trucks get the miles rolled back a lot but who knows. Mine came from japan and it was through a very well known vendor here in the community. I have a certificate for the mileage but I don’t know if that’s worth anything. I’m currently in the process of pulling the engine. I’ll probably get to the oil pan tomorrow to confirm if it’s just bearing or if my crankshaft is actually snapped.

Next item.
Remove the Acsd before it causes you an IP rebuild.
The blanking plates are simple to make and easy to find.
Others have mentioned this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom