1HD-T / HDJ81 rattle and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You can hear the rattle here:

I've noticed some issues lately that seem to have coincided with the noise: when the automatic transmission switches between 3rd and 4th gear (around 45 mph), I get a shudder and lose most of my power. Boost drops by 50 - 70% and the truck really struggles to maintain momentum. Even if you try to floor at this point, my EGTs go up, but the truck just doesn't go (RPMs do not go up). Once I hit just above 50mph or so, the shudder goes away and the truck seems to run just fine.

I can't figure out exactly where the noise is coming from. It sounds like it's somewhere between the T-case and/or behind the oil pan. As you'll hear, the random ticking seems to fade away as I increase the throttle. There is no blow-by, no smoke out the exhaust, and really no other issues I can find. Truck has about 91,000 miles.

Any idea whats causing this? BEBs were replaced around the 85,000 mile mark.

That ticking is a way of life with the 1HD-T, mine has gone away now but will return at one point lol

the 'loss of power' seems to be the lockup speed of the transmission, but perhaps if you are getting shuddering there is something wrong with it, your boost will fall off as the toque converter locks up dropping your RPM's, which in turn drops the exhaust flow to the Turbo

Mine started ticking right after an oil change, no power loss symptoms though. 3K kms later the ticking has stopped, I'm unable to explain it. Used oil analysis came back clean. I've seen lots of the guys in Australia suggest the ticking is a cracked flexplate, but I haven't been able to check to confirm.

Except the 1HD-FT in mine ticks and it's mating to a H151F so..... from what I "think" I understand it's something goofy with the engine harmonics itself.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Ill take a deeper look into the shudder issue, but its good to know im not alone with this annoying tick. If I ever get to the bottom of the problem, ill update.

Plenty of 1HZs tick as well, but we can never be sure they are all caused by the same thing. Mine didn't start ticking till it reached operating temp and it was more regular.
Another theory about the cause of the tick is crankshaft flex. I think that one came about after an owner(in Aust) was given a replacement crank by Toyota and he claimed it was noticeably heavier and presumably stiffer than the old one . But who knows.

Ill take a deeper look into the shudder issue

Maybe the shuddering is compounded by a soft engine or gearbox mount.

I'd take that with a large grain of salt

Yes, but he stuck to the story and someone else heard something similar. But that was on the exploroz forum and its a hotbed conspiratorial tales about dealerships. Lots of cranky elderly people buying new 4wds for their trip around the block and when something goes wrong...

Yes, but he stuck to the story and someone else heard something similar. But that was on the exploroz forum and its a hotbed conspiratorial tales about dealerships. Lots of cranky elderly people buying new 4wds for their trip around the block and when something goes wrong...

I'd expect a noticeably heavier crank to have a revised part #...pretty hard to accept this without SOME proof.

@roscoFJ73 the source adds about this much credibility

images.jpeg

My 1hz had that exact same tick, it annoyed me to the point of stripping the whole engine looking for the problem. Everything was mic'd and crack tested. Nothing was amiss. Put it back together with new big end bearings, low and behold, tick was still there. Long story short, 120k kms later I traded the ute, still running as strong as ever.

I had the guys at AOE (American Overland Expedition) in SoCal take a look and they think its an issue with the torque converter / flex plate. Guess we'll know in a couple weeks when we tear it apart.

I had the guys at AOE (American Overland Expedition) in SoCal take a look and they think its an issue with the torque converter / flex plate. Guess we'll know in a couple weeks when we tear it apart.

Definitely post back if you figure it out.

My 93 1HD-T has the exact same tick. I just changed my oil and the tick is louder than with the old oil. As much as I hate to say this, I've heard its normal.

Maybe there's something in it. :hmm:

Crank part numbers are the same for all 1HD-T, and 1HD-FT, and 1HZ up to 2002.
1HD-FTE, and 1HZ from 2002 on share a different part number

It was around the early 2000s when it reportedly occurred. There was a rush of 1HD T bearing failures as they all began to reach 200000klms

Update on the truck...

The torque converter and the oil pump were shot (or nearly so), but after everything was repaired and buttoned up, the rattle noise remained.

I recently watched a video of another truck (non-Toyota) that had the exact same rattle as mine. It turned out to be a bad spring in the starter motor. When I brought that up to the guys at AOE, they mentioned that they had just begun looking at that as they also thought it might be the issue. I should know for sure tomorrow.

And so the search continues...

Well, we figured out what it was.

Some of the sound did indeed come from a failing oil pump and torque converter. We later found out the starter was not the source of the remaining noise. What we did discover was that the crankshaft was giving way too much end play. They think its a big end bearing failure.

Is there something else it could be? The BEBs were replaced by the person who sold it to me (allegedly) and I dont have the typical hammering / knocking sound you'd hear. I do get a CLINK sound every time the gas is hit (from the crankshaft moving forward and backward).

Last edited:
Is the ACSD still fitted to the injection pump? They get noisy just before they fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom