1HD-T fuel tank issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Great Australian Ponzi Scheme aka The GC
Hi blokes and ladies,

Long time lurker, first time poster, most likely breaking some sort of forum rule here but I'm in a real state right now and I'll be happy to take my astonishment from the mods later.

I'll keep it short:

Some dirty oxygen thief has jimmies my fuel cap plate open overnight, stolen my diesel, and then replaced the fuel with something, most likely water, as both tanks are showing half full.

No I dont have any beef with anyone. No I cant understand why some cock would even bother replacing the fuel to make it look like nothing was gone. No I cant fathom what has gone on as I am yet to take the seats out, check the pickups and sensors, and then drain the tank.

I can confirm the post firewall in line filter I installed myself has water in it. I can confirm I was pulling around 2800rpm in 5th when it started to lag and then die within 300m of the fuel starving off.

I'm concerned that I may have done some damage by letting it roll down under compression for approximately another 600 odd meters.

I meticulously service this baby every 5k, new filters and fluids and new inlines every 30k for the fuel lines, 15k for the diffs and box oil.

Given that water is an engine killer I'm concerned that because I didn't kill the motor immediately that I have possibly done some real damage to the valve train and injectors.

Where do I go from here?

I'm about to drain both tanks and pull the pickups out, if I confirm large amounts of not diesel, what is the next flow of steps to take? I had considered the following;

Drain tanks
Clean pickup and intake filter
Flush line
Change inlines
Refuel with around 20% capacity both tanks
Run through
Happy smile when 1HD-T coughs the last of the s*** out and doesnt explode.

Am I on the right track?

TIA for any replies.

Micko

It should be ok, but act quickly. Water in the injection pump will start to form rust, the faster you can flush it the better...
Drain the tanks, pop the fuel supply line off the injection pump and use the prime pump to get as much water out as possible. Change fuel filters...
Add some addictive to absorb the water (IIRC metho works but I’d buy some stuff designed to absorb water).

pump more through with the lift pump....

Get it running, drive it softly for a bit. I would be changing fuel filters again after a tank or two of fresh diesel.

just remember, additives and filtered are relatively inexpensive compared to rebuilding a pump.
As I said at the start, get onto it ASAP

Edit - regardless of what’s in the tank my focus would be getting diesel into the injection pump.
I should also add, crack the injection lines open before starting the engine to bleed out any water (crank the motor over) Wait till you have clear diesel coming out before tightening the lines back up.

Agreed with the above. Disconnect injector lines, run a 5 litre bottle of fuel straight to the injector pump.
Drain tanks.

Methanol is better at absorbing water than methylated spirits.

I'm concerned that I may have done some damage by letting it roll down under compression for approximately another 600 odd meters.
This won't have hurt it at all, nothing to worry about there at all.

Given that water is an engine killer I'm concerned that because I didn't kill the motor immediately that I have possibly done some real damage to the valve train and injectors.
Water is an engine killer if it's sucked in through the intake in a big enough quantity to hydrolock the engine. 1 teaspoon in a cylinder would be enough to do damage.
BUT,
The tiny amount injected through injectors is basically a vapour/ mist that will not be a problem at all.
The biggest concern with water will be the injection pump. Diesel lubricates the pump. Water is not a good lubricant. Also, rust as mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom