1HD-T 93FZJ(professionally converted)…What's the market value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And here is what they will say "we rebuild a few 4.5's but not many. Customers drop off their truck/engine and just leave them here, as it's not worth the cost to rebuild - it's cheaper to just buy another used 4.5 for $1000"

I tune TD and we rebuild TD aswell. I can tune them to 11 Litres per 100k's (21.3mpg) easily. Fully loaded and with 812nm of torque / (17mpg).

No offense, but if anyone here is brain washed. You are, for listening to stupidy. And trying to give assumptions without ever testing both sides eqauly. It's fine to question stuff, but don't substitute facts with assumptions. The truth is, you don't know.

Last edited:
My truck will go over 800km on a tank if I go right to the end. Over 700 to the gas light. I'm loaded up with drawers and etc, plus I'm running 17-18 psi. I know my friend down in Brisbane had an Fzj80 with the auxiliary tank and it could barely get the same out of both tanks as I get out of mine. As soon as the gassers are loaded up they suck fuel like no body's business. That's why they're so cheap. Can hardly give that s*** away unless it's locked.

So.......in my last post- I was curious what the average lifespan of the engine........not mpg. Are re manufacturers seeing these come in with 400,000/500,000/600,000/700,000+ km on them when they died? (On average)

And from what I've been reading on the 1hdt BeB issue........is the recommended BeB interval every 100,000km?
And how often are turbos failing or needing rebuild? (Do they need rebuild every 200km)

Last edited:
There is no issue with 1HDT bearings. Just don't use toyota bearings. We advise to do Conrod bearings every 100 000ks. But that's just precautionary and for trucks running BIG torque. Factory Turbo life span - 350 000kish. Again this comes back to boost level and tune. 400 000k's is when people start looking for at a rebuild. Doesn't mean they 1, again precautionary. I've seen a DT with a true 600 000k 's pass a compression test (auto, factory boost, regular by the book services). So most of this argument is useless. You can get a dud any engine.

Well thanks all for the input! I'm gonna post it on the classifieds in a couple days when I get some more extensive pics and settle on the asking price. Gonna avoid ebay for now for several reasons, but we'll see how it goes.

ya good luck ,not a chance you'd get a decent offer here now. and report back either way just to prove someone wrong if nothing else.

You'll get $20k for it, despite the protestation of a single "expert".

It might take a little while as the market isn't very big, but it's definitely worth that kind of money. I wouldn't settle for any less.

Let the market dictate the price as the OP said early on in this highly derailed thread of diesel vs gasser. It will sell for what a buyer is willing to pay, and the seller is willing to accept.

Heck, if it is under $20k, hit me up and I will buy a one way ticket to the PNW with cash in hand, swap the motor into my 80, and sell it with a S/C gasser.

I agree, you'll get your 20k, and it is worth that. I doubt many will take an expert seriously that claims to get 18+mpg in a FZJ80 on 37s….

LHD+ 1Hdt + 442 = your price.

Miss mine sorely:(

On my last trip 1000+ mi. - my 1fz averaged 18.3mpg (37s and 4.88s).

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Yes my truck is 2000lbs+ heavier than yours on 35's and 4.88s. But I can't get better than 13 on standard fuel. Little over 14 on non-ethanol which is what I generally buy. When mine was bone stock I could better 18 on occasion. Whole other argument.

Back to the OP. I would assume this truck will pull $20K + in the USA. Yes JDM imports will hit the ports come 2015 but be RHD. For many this will be a huge downside and still cost north of 20.

If you were closer I'd be checking it out personally as I'm considering a JDM come spring. Towing with the 1FZ in Colorado is miserable. Part of it is my portly figure but it's a gaser after all too. I'll probably go up to SLC to drive whatever landcruisersdirect imports first. Then decide if the diesel will do it for me or bite the bullet on a 200 series V8.

You need to start talking to the Aussies and some Canadians about real seat of the pants experience with diesel 80 series trucks. Both countries (more so in Aus, a select few in Canada) have figured them out and know how to make them work. These are totally different beasts than gassers, and require a different experience set to get them right.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Yes my truck is 2000lbs+ heavier than yours on 35's and 4.88s. But I can't get better than 13 on standard fuel. Little over 14 on non-ethanol which is what I generally buy. When mine was bone stock I could better 18 on occasion. Whole other argument.

Back to the OP. I would assume this truck will pull $20K + in the USA. Yes JDM imports will hit the ports come 2015 but be RHD. For many this will be a huge downside and still cost north of 20.

If you were closer I'd be checking it out personally as I'm considering a JDM come spring. Towing with the 1FZ in Colorado is miserable. Part of it is my portly figure but it's a gaser after all too. I'll probably go up to SLC to drive whatever landcruisersdirect imports first. Then decide if the diesel will do it for me or bite the bullet on a 200 series V8.

Get towed for 500 of those miles perhaps?

Going to beat this thread again!
http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/24661/Toyota/Landcruiser/car-for-sale.html pretty sweet
average http://auc.ts-export.com/aj-3sX7bPnA3x5Yjgy.htm
Sold for $4400 http://auc.ts-export.com/aj-YS7DtMSmthW2h0.htm

$3-4K to get the 1990 1HD-s to the states, $1500 in shipping to NY or LA ports, to LA that will get you a 20' container, to NY its rolling in, add another $500 for a container. The other fees you'll split pretty much between export and import fees, IE paying a truck to take it to port in Japan, taxes there on the purchase and export handling fees, the rest for an importer here.

The 25 year old rule is the only way to go, everything else costs too much.

Personally I'd find a Canadian willing to "abandon" one somewhere south of the border after finding a brown bag full of benjamins

Yea but most people myself included wouldn't do that anymore for fear of losing my ability to cross the border or fines/jail time. At least here in BC, its been a big enough problem that most people around here get hassled just going across to get gas. Some local guys got busted trying to sell Skylines to guys in Washington and a few of them were offered deals to become informants on others trying to do the same..

Neither of the trucks you posted are in that great of condition and for how much it would cost to get them here, you could probably find ones in similar condition locally (BC).

So if a Canadian came across in a drivable 80 and it was vandalized beyond repair would you suffer repercussions for selling it as is?

What about running a trans blowing up once you're in the states bed, are you legally liable for repairing it in order to drive it back?

I'd rather pay for a whole "parts truck" in order to get the 1HD and needed wiring rather than do a 4 or 6BT swap as it would be plug and play pretty much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom