1HD-T 93FZJ(professionally converted)…What's the market value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I purchased a fully converted 93fzj back in '08 as a green vehicle. Ran mostly B99 in it for 6 years. I'm not involved in the Cruiser community and have not been on Mud since I bought it. I've since only put 12k(278083) on it and it has been garaged for most of my time with it. I imported, registered and titled in WA as diesel, so it's as clean as it gets. I've toyed with the notion of selling in the past but never really followed though. I think it's time I pass it on to someone who can utilize its full potential. I just need help with the market. Payed about $26k after import fees and taxes. Had to replace radiator, pads, rotors, valve cover gasket, and heater hose in the last couple of years, a few scrapes are mine but otherwise it is pretty much like I bought it. Had it checked out by a local Cruiser expert recently he said it was rock solid mechanically and one of the best conversions he had seen.

Just need to know what the market will bare, and if ebay or mud is the best place to offer it. I know it's a rare beast, and will go quickly.

Thanks for any advice. I tried to upload photos but it wouldn't let me link them because my activity is not recent. If someone can suggest how to upload them another way I would appreciate it.
P1240849.JPG
P1240850.JPG
P1240851.JPG

Here is the original add info from when I purchased it in '08. Some of you might recognize:

93 FZJ80, Dark Green ,No lockers. Clean Carfax, no wrecks on record. Seattle/Tacoma truck so no rust whatsoever, and not baked out like Southern US 80s either.
267k Miles on the ODO FWIW the only drivetrain wear items that is still original is the diffs.
Clean grey cloth interior, Not kid worn, put in new Toyota floor mats when I got it 2 years ago.

Paint is in decent shape overall, usuall wear and tear from 15 years of use.
2 small dents on driver fender where my roof rack tipped against it.
Some clear coat starting to flake on one of the flares
leather steering wheel(Genuine Toyota)
3rd row seats
AC R134 and blows cold.
JDM 80 series aluminum running boards.
JDM passenger side grab handle
Center Diff lock button installed, Pin 7 mod done
ARB Bull Bar(winch type)
PIAA Headlamps
Safari Snorkel
OME Medium lift (2.5") 850/860 coils, OME Nitrocharger shocks, OME steering stabalizer
New 285 75 16 BFG All terrain KOs, load range E (maybe 5k miles on em.)
Wholesale Automatics "Extreme Valve body" in the A442F tranny. Quicker tighter shifts, less slipage ($1200 not including instal cost)
Walbro 6065 Fuel lift pump. Low PSI fuel pusher eliminates injection pump starvation and cavitaton
Isspro colored face Pyro (pre Turbo) and Isspro Boost gauge
Factory Dual battery trays w/ 2 Interstates (works with 1 battery if required)
Battery cables built with new#2 welding cable and marine brass terminal clamps.
Factory hand throttle assy
All correct HDJ80 decals on Rear quarter, emblem on grille, diesel decal on gas door.CD player, single DIN with factory pocket
Alpine 6.5" in front doors
Alpine 4" in rear doors
Class 5 hitch

1HD-T.. Engine had 140k km when it went in, has about 180k km on it now.
Engine was fully serviced, Valves reshimed to spec, compression all in 510-515 psi range, Nice and even with good oil pressure.
Turbo was rebuilt by ADP
Exhaust manifold and turbo dump ceramic coated
JDM ECT type A442F with HF2A transfer case, correct for the 93 model,
New from Japan 1HD-T ECT computer ($600)
New LHD HDJ80 Engine harness
BEB bearings replaced with ACL Copper/Lead type
Injectors serviced by Fred Holmes Fuel injection
New OEM Water pump, timing belt, Rear main seal
New 12v starter
New OEM fan clutch and fan assy
New OEM belts and Rad hoses
New rubber engine mounts
New OEM AC hoses
TONS of other new parts went into the swap, I won't list em all, total misc put into the swap NOT including the engine/tranny/case was $7500
Amsoil in everything but the crankcase Delo 400 15-40 every 3k miles
Washer reservoir relocated using proper JDM HDJ81 extra capacity reservoir on left fender.

As far as fuel economy goes it depends how you drive it. Pure Hwy @ 60mph on my last road trip, loaded with trailer, gear roof top tent etc I was getting around 400miles on 20gal.
My best was in stock trim. 507 miles on 21gal. The lift, bulbar , tires etc have all cost fuel ecomomy but the way I look at if is that I am still a good 30% ahead of any gas powered 80 in the same trim.

$30k CAD for the works ($25,850 USD at todays rate)

I'd venture it should fetch $14-15k cad. in this market with diesel prices significantly higher and crude oil going toward $60 barrel.

In the U.S. Diesel is a good 25% more expensive so effectively nullifies mpg advantages over gas. Also the 1fz is more durable than the 1hdt.

I'd venture it should fetch $14-15k cad. in this market with diesel prices significantly higher and crude oil going toward $60 barrel.

In the U.S. Diesel is a good 25% more expensive so effectively nullifies mpg advantages over gas. Also the 1fz is more durable than the 1hdt.

LOL, with all due respect, almost nothing of this is true. Maybe the estimated value in CAD, but even in Canada a clean left hand drive truck will bring a lot more than the RHD imports.
Once crude drops below $80 shale oil production becomes unprofitable, so it will never reach $60.
In the US Diesel is not 25% more expensive than gas. Places here in San Diego sell diesel for a few cents less than super unleaded.
If anything, the 1HDT and 1FZ are equal in durability. But the 1HDT is not known for cooking the head gasket.
:beer:

Local price for Diesel where I shop (San Jose) was a 27 cents more per gallon today than the premium I have to run in my supercharged 80, making it 8% more expensive. Putting a 1HD-T or FT into my 80 would easily get 8% better mileage...I average 11mpg, and simply going to 12mpg would be break even on the fuel price. I think we can all agree that a 1HD-T equipped rig would get better than 12mpg. Now, there is no way to justify purely on cost alone the conversion, but most of us do that for more than just fuel savings. Having an extended range would be my #1 reason.

All of this said, the truck above appears to have a very clean conversion, with all of the right boxes checked-off, and would in my view fetch well into the $20k USD range. GLWS if you decide to go down that path.

I think we can all agree that a 1HD-T equipped rig would get better than 12mpg.

I think I've always averaged close to 20mpg with this set up, but higher mpg is also possible minus bulbar and with better rolling tires. $20k is closer to what I thought it might be worth. Thanks for the input.

We looked at this cruiser about a year ago, and it's in great shape. For those in the know, this is a conversion done by Sheldon at G&S Cruisers in BC. His attention to detail is top notch, and this conversion is very well done. I would say this cruiser should get over 20k, even on fleabay if proper pics and video's are posted. Good luck with the sale.

guy been trying to sell a lhd 1hdt conversion up here for 14,000 . i say in canada 15-20 tops.

I purchased it in Canada in 08, but as I said it's legally registered and titled in Washington state. Looking for greenbacks!

We looked at this cruiser about a year ago, and it's in great shape. For those in the know, this is a conversion done by Sheldon at G&S Cruisers in BC. His attention to detail is top notch, and this conversion is very well done. I would say this cruiser should get over 20k, even on fleabay if proper pics and video's are posted. Good luck with the sale.
Thanks for the validation Tor!

Ummm.....there's quite a bit of fail in this post...

I'm sorry but the 1HD converted 80 on BC craigslist right now doesn't look close to the stock and professional conversion that this truck has. I still stand by my assessment that A US licensed truck will fetch 20k.

Hell, original HDJ81's in good shape with 180K kms here in Japan are going for $15K.....

I stand by my original post..........

If this sells for more than $18k I'd be shocked. Green/no lockers....need I say more.

tons of 1fzs all over craigslist every single week.....all with 330k + miles.

Hg for 1fz is 10% or less vehicles. BeBs is what percent?

After seeing a 1fz head popped off with 330k miles and personally witnessed crosshatchings and amazing lack of wear........I'd venture to say there IS the reason the 1fz was the longest produced engine series EVER for Toyota.

Lotta diesel hopium being smoked here.....

Interesting that...

Diesel is 25 yen cheaper per liter than gas. Thus..can't even give petrol 80's away these days.

Durability....? Ironic example you posted....just popped the head off for the amusement of it?

I changed the BEB's at 210K kms. They were in good shape actually.

Look.....You spend an afternoon changing your head gasket as PM....I'll take the same afternoon and change out the BEB's as PM. While you're at it..do the PHH and I'll delete the ACSD. We can then discuss that slippery slope of durability ad nauseam over a few rounds o beers.

$18k or more would have me walking away, too.....but we're lousy with HDJs in the $13k to $15K anyway.

It's hard to compare the Canadian market to the US market where these 1hd-t's are few and far between...

I think many of my fellow Canadians in this thread are forgetting that in 2005 when the first 1990's started to come in from Japan, these trucks were easily selling for 25K and rhd. I would expect similar pricing for trucks in the states next year when they are legal. The LHD conversion only makes it more appealing to most as well.

I'd say throw it on eBay and go for 20k+

Interesting that...

Durability....? Ironic example you posted....just popped the head off for the amusement of it?

I changed the BEB's at 210K kms. They were in good shape actually.

Look.....You spend an afternoon changing your head gasket as PM....I'll take the same afternoon and change out the BEB's as PM. While you're at it..do the PHH and I'll delete the ACSD. We can then discuss that slippery slope of durability ad nauseam over a few rounds o beers.

$18k or more would have me walking away, too.....but we're lousy with HDJs in the $13k to $15K anyway.

So let's say durability is a wash.....

Why would you pay even $15k for an unlocked 1hdt - when you can get a locked 1fz for $7k ? An extra $7k buys buys a lot of gas and mods.

Popped head just out of curiosity and was sliding a low mi. $700 engine in for the next 330k miles. Try finding a lo mi. 1hdt for $700........

Hopium is a wonderful drug.....

You guys are ruling out the coolness factor for us Americans. If a guy in the U.S. wants a diesel Toyota he is going to pay more because it is not readily available. How much more? Hard to say.

You guys are ruling out the coolness factor for us Americans. If a guy in the U.S. wants a diesel Toyota he is going to pay more because it is not readily available. How much more? Hard to say.

A lot more, usually. More than you'll get back in fuel savings, usually.
The range is also a big deal for me. With the sub tank I can carry 38 gallons of fuel, which gives me 700 miles without carrying cans.

It's interesting that my post has caused so much contention among you all. I guess the bottom line is, it's worth what someone will pay for it. Just as it was when I bought it. Supply and demand is the only thing that dictates value, and as far as I can tell there aren't a heck of a lot of comparable rigs floating around here in the US for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom