1HD-T 93FZJ(professionally converted)…What's the market value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bugs I am not talking about hauling 12K,I usualy haul my 40 wich is around 4k or some Euro classics wich are usualy around 3 to 4K.

Never had any problem hauling with the diesel Cruisers,I replaced the tow Cruiser with a Tundra 5.7 wich also gave me only 12mpg with a trailer but at least had sufficient power.

I am not proud of owning a Daily Driver Jeep now but it gets me 18 to 20 mpg with at trailer behind it thanks to its DIESEL engine.

And yes I do realize that everything is more expensive here in Texas,that is why I have 18000 miles in 4 months driving all over the us buying cars because they are to expensive here.

If you want to see high mileage 1hdt's check latin American coaster busses they get abused every day and get super high mileage without the necessary maintenance.

BTW towing capacity for the HDJ80 is 7500 (at least in Belgium),2500 more then the gasser.Must be something different right ;)

Well I can tell you that here in the land of the RHD HDJ's that a perfect LHD converted truck (and I mean perfectly indistinguishable) has always commanded a significant upcharge over the RHD ones. They always have. Hell even the high mileage euro imports have been fetching much more money.

That converted truck will not likely have the power retracting side mirrors. For that reason alone I would pass on it.

It's going to be a tough sell to get $20k when for $14k Obo....you can get a rhd for $13k in the mud classifieds right now

Don't see too many rhd cruisers on US streets, Bugs, do you?

The way I see it the chances of me selling my rig for $20k+ are 50/50. Either I do or I don't. Not the end of the world either way.

OP, Your truck is easly worth 20,000. I wouldn't settle for anything less.

Bugs, your own posts state you can pick up gas 80's for next to nothing and good luck getting a diesel for cheap. Hmm doesn't that mean a diesel 80 is worth a lot more then a gasser. I think the only reason you troll the diesel threads and bash the prices is so one day you could actually convince someone there truck is worthless so you can snatch it from them. Just my 2 cents

Don't see too many rhd cruisers on US streets, Bugs, do you?.

Again Jim- I do think you should and could list and get $20k- it's super clean and has the rarity factor working for it and there seems to be some people here who feel you can get $20k. I'm really just trying to offer up a bit of healthy perspective/discussion as this was posted in the "diesel tech" forum vs for sale section where you may not be offered the non- diesel hopium perspective.

Bugs, your own posts state you can pick up gas 80's for next to nothing and good luck getting a diesel for cheap. Hmm doesn't that mean a diesel 80 is worth a lot more then a gasser. I think the only reason you troll the diesel threads and bash the prices is so one day you could actually convince someone there truck is worthless so you can snatch it from them. Just my 2 cents

Funny you say that- I had a line on a locked hdj81 for $8k a while back that I was contemplating using for axles/engine for my 40series. However the more I looked into the 1hdt/ learned about issues/ coupled with following the fuel price trends......I realized The 1hdt wasn't really more durable than the 1fz / costed 8x as much / and was going to yield negligible fuel savings vs gas. I'd be happy to get into a diesel for $2-3k....but since the cost of entry is 2-3x that..........I'm definitely more psyched with plentiful 1fz s at bargain basement prices and $3gas vs $4diesel. Sorry for being thrifty.....but I don't have deep pockets :meh:

Bugs, if your looking for a cheaper diesel alternative for your 40 I would suggest a 3B with a h55f then add a turbo. You will get close to 25mpg and have more then enough power for a 40 with all the benefits of owning a diesel.

As for an 80 series for $8,000 it is true good deals do come up, but you could pull the drivetrain and get the price you paid for the truck. The truck in question would be tuff to build for $20,000 doing all the work yourself. Finding a rust free clean gas fzj80, low km 1HDT, rebuild turbo, source all the LHD diesel conversion parts, extreme valve body, and the list goes on.

yeah there have been a few $8k HDJ's here too. I have inspected them. They are usually basket cases with unknown mileage/maintenance etc... My HDJ has full records and documentation from the day I sent the wire transfer to Japan and quite a few records from it's Japanese days too. There are a ton of HDJ81s here, have been since 2005.5 and there are a lot of s***boxes in that number... Financially I am totally ass backwards in mine- and I don't really care because the diesel is 'cool'...

I keep reading "negligible fuel mileage/savings vs gas"

Put down whatever you're smoking.

An fzj80 would have to look like this to get even remotely close to 18mpg

image-jpg.946440

Unfortunately- in the U.S. And North America for that matter going forward I don't see diesel prices going cheaper as oil companies have essentially manipulated the market via supply. If you don't think oil companies are operating as a monopoly fixing diesel prices- you are smoking some good s***.

Diesel in my area is $4. Gas $3 and falling. Diesel is stuck due to above. jp Morgan is predicting $75 barrel oil in 2015 which would bring gas to 2.75.

So... 25% greater fuel cost in diesel here and maybe getting worse.

The stock gas 80 is rated for 16mpg from factory. Dropping 250rpms at hwy speeds via jumping to skinny 33s nets an easy 1mpg hwy. deleting flares/ roof rack and rear spoiler easily are good for 1-2mpg at 65mph. This is the main reason I was averaging over 19mpg on hwy when on 33s. Now that I'm on 37s....I'm back down 1-2mpg as the rpms at hyw speed have gone up with 4.88s.

In a nutshell- 90% of 80 gas owners on Mud experience 12-14mpg hyw because they:
- have added a s***load of weight to their cruisers. (Mine on 37s is stock 5200lbs)
- have engines not operating efficiently-o2 sens. / thick oil vs synthetics/ cats exhaust etc
- don't have optimized gearing/ tire ratio hyw rpms for the engines volumetric efficiency.
- have roof racks/ flares/spoilers and drag inducing 1-2mpg hits at 60mph+ speeds.

Even 16mpg @ 25% less fuel cost is equivalent to a 4mpg price hit diesel owners take at the pump. So your 20mpg avg in a 1hdt is equal to 16mpg gas...........again this is in my area where gas is $3 and diesel is $4.

Unfortunately- in the U.S. And North America for that matter going forward I don't see diesel prices going cheaper as oil companies have essentially manipulated the market via supply. If you don't think oil companies are operating as a monopoly fixing diesel prices- you are smoking some good ****.

Diesel in my area is $4. Gas $3 and falling. Diesel is stuck due to above. jp Morgan is predicting $75 barrel oil in 2015 which would bring gas to 2.75.

So... 25% greater fuel cost in diesel here and maybe getting worse.

The stock gas 80 is rated for 16mpg from factory. Dropping 250rpms at hwy speeds via jumping to skinny 33s nets an easy 1mpg hwy. deleting flares/ roof rack and rear spoiler easily are good for 1-2mpg at 65mph. This is the main reason I was averaging over 19mpg on hwy when on 33s. Now that I'm on 37s....I'm back down 1-2mpg as the rpms at hyw speed have gone up with 4.88s.

In a nutshell- 90% of 80 gas owners on Mud experience 12-14mpg hyw because they:
- have added a ****load of weight to their cruisers. (Mine on 37s is stock 5200lbs)
- have engines not operating efficiently-o2 sens. / thick oil vs synthetics/ cats exhaust etc
- don't have optimized gearing/ tire ratio hyw rpms for the engines volumetric efficiency.
- have roof racks/ flares/spoilers and drag inducing 1-2mpg hits at 60mph+ speeds.

Even 16mpg @ 25% less fuel cost is equivalent to a 4mpg price hit diesel owners take at the pump. So your 20mpg avg in a 1hdt is equal to 16mpg gas...........again this is in my area where gas is $3 and diesel is $4.

Cruisers are ADVENTURE vehicles! What's the point of castrating it, making it a hwy vehicle, and having to leaving your stuff at home, just to save 5 cents per mile? Won't be much of an adventure when you get there IMHO.

Again enjoy your ride, but I don't think you've converted anyone. There's a reason people love diesels.

BTW not sure where you came up with "Jim" for my name. Nothing wrong with it, just not my name.

Bugs, have you ever owned a turbo diesel truck? TD80?

If not then you can never understand. Not saying your views are wrong, they are yours and entitled to think what ever you like. Just saying if you owned 1 for a few years you would be saying differently. It's worth every bit of extra expense. And these days with the performance catching up, they really can't be beaten.,

Not trying to convert anyone- just stating some obvious reasons why the market is likely to bare what the market is. Sorry if I bursted anyone's fantasy about diesels - just trying to point out some simple facts regarding durability- real fuel costs - and reasons why the market is and will be falling out from under the somewhat overinflated/ price discrepancies. Fingers crossed you get what you want in the marketplace. Best of luck

Ha ha, see when you say "sorry if I burst anyone's fantasies about diesels". You have not done so at all in the slightest. Your just oblivious to the reality of how much better they actually are. In which people are trying to convey to you. To say a 4.5 is as good is a joke.

Man...I just don't get the incessant fuel costs argument... Reminds me of my wife and her flea market obsession...ick..

Cruisers are ADVENTURE vehicles! What's the point of castrating it, making it a hwy vehicle, and having to leaving your stuff at home, just to save 5 cents per mile? Won't be much of an adventure when you get there IMHO. .

Um- only thing my rig is missing is rockers-flares- paint and a few rows of seats and the heavy sunroof. Fairly capable with 37s / winch. With my fat ass in there I'm at 5410lbs. ( rear bumper is off for paint prep). I prefer to keep it light as parts are much more durable at the weight they were designed for.

image.jpg

Man...I just don't get the incessant fuel costs argument... Reminds me of my wife and her flea market obsession...ick..

The two "mythical" arguments used are durability and fuel savings. So when gas prices fall.......everyone points to the "durability" argument for 1hdts. And when the durability myth is debunked......everyone claims how much better mileage the 1hdt gets.

At $2.50 gas- for $5000 you can convert your pricey fuel sucking 1hdt to a 20mpg gas engine and within a few years the fuel savings alone will pay for itself. Sound familiar?

Last edited:
But that's it right there. Go away on a remote 4/5 day trip. It's going to be loaded. Yours even more so with jerry cans. The diesel will drink almost half the fuel the petrol will. In all conditions the turbo diesel will just keep going and not have to turn back due a simple thing like water crossing/mud. Take book with you with all the fault codes.

I am a petrol V8 man through and through. Used to HATE diesels. Mostly because of all diesel dick heads who sit around the camp fire at 4x4 parks and talk utter rubbish. Swore I'd never be 1 of these guys. And I'm not. All the info, tech and results these days are factual and realistic. A stock 1HDT used to crap on my LS1 when loaded up. And drank near half the fuel. Broke down far less aswell. Each to their own. But I would not care about fuel prices when after tough reliability. If your concerned about fuel - buy a Prius

You only have to look to any country that released both petrol and turbo diesel. The value of the turbo diesels are far higher than the petrols. So if the question is "would they still be higher if diesel cost a lot more" the answer is yes.

People want the simplicity, reliability, fuel economy and piece of mind that comes with the TD. Those who have them don't want to sell, and demand for them is always high.

Last edited:
Your just oblivious to the reality of how much better they actually are. In which people are trying to convey to you. To say a 4.5 is as good is a joke.

Again- I'm just not seeing 1hdts on average getting BETTER than 550k-600k kms. You can say this all you want.......along with the BETTER fuel economy argument.............it's just a bunch of hogwash. Bigboy- reread above.....gas prices HERE are 25% less at the moment. We aren't talking about aus.

I will give you this.........there's a ton of remanned 1hdts I'm seeing. I wonder if I called one of those Aussie engine reman dewds if he could guess on average km's of these blown 1hdts he's seeing on a regular basis? And what sorts of issues?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom