1HD-T 3" straight piped. Post install thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool setup indeed Cruisin'. Your system doesn't seem to even have a resonator. Am I correct? I thought resonator was a must in any system. What's the impact on the noise?
Also, a friend of mine recently suggested that the side exist that you used (and also Towpack's) are better suited for truck that are driven on long highways. My truck is usually driven short distances around the city, so he says I should have my exhaust routed towards the end of the vehicle. Does this make sense?

makes sense in a way less distance for the exhaust to travell so the EGT's will be a bit lower less resistance & distance in the shorter pipe

Very cool setup indeed Cruisin'. Your system doesn't seem to even have a resonator. Am I correct? I thought resonator was a must in any system. What's the impact on the noise?
Also, a friend of mine recently suggested that the side exist that you used (and also Towpack's) are better suited for truck that are driven on long highways. My truck is usually driven short distances around the city, so he says I should have my exhaust routed towards the end of the vehicle. Does this make sense?

I agree for the reasons that Big Blue said, as well as more. When stopped at a light with the windows open you may get a bit more exhaust wafting into the vehicle with the side exhaust. I was concerned about this and have noticed it, but very little. I do very little driving in traffic, and in the rare event that I'm stopped and the wind is just right that I can smell the exhaust I can always roll up the window for the moment. I think if I lived in the city I'd have routed out the back.

As for a resonator, I don't find the noise to be too bad without one. On the highway its barely louder than before, and doesn't really drone if you keep it below 110km/h (which I usually do). Its louder on acceleration, and I may add a small resonator or muffler later. Its very tolerable though. The turbo acts as a pretty good muffler.

Can't say as I've EVER noticed excessive diesel fumes from my side exit but then again mine doesn't seem to smoke much,even from a cold start. I've even run with the sliding rear side windows open and still nothing. A good 80% of my driving is in/around town and I tend to drive with the driver's window at least past way down even in cold weather and no problems with fumes.

My system has a resonator just downstream of the front pipe (with flex) and then one 'muffler' before exiting as shown.

Noise in deeper,more basey with more pronounced turbo whistle.

Looks good.

I was going to do mine the same way but in BC your exhaust must exit behind the rearmost window that can be opened (in front of the tire is ok for pickups, etc, as long as it is behind the window.) I still went side-exit, but it's immediately behind the rear wheel. It meant a hell of a lot more work but hopefully I won't have to redo it for quite some time...

Over here the it has to be at the rear pointing rearward or the the left although it's hardly enforced or not enforced at all, even during the annual inspection.

Looks good.

I was going to do mine the same way but in BC your exhaust must exit behind the rearmost window that can be opened (in front of the tire is ok for pickups, etc, as long as it is behind the window.) I still went side-exit, but it's immediately behind the rear wheel. It meant a hell of a lot more work but hopefully I won't have to redo it for quite some time...

What is your source for this? I checked the vehicle inspection manual for BC(Dec 2001 revision) and it says
"reject if: tail pipe does not terminate within 2" of outside perimiter of the passenger compartment expelling exhaust outwardly (includes trunk)."
Do you have a more up to date source? And one that spells it out more clearly? Reading this makes me think I'm okay. While I don't intend on changing unless I get told to, it would be nice to know what the regulation says and where to find it.

Lost track of this thread...

I had taken that info from some other forum and I can't seem to find it again, despite some searching. Since you're quoting the inspection manual, I'd say your source is the one to go by.

I'm not sure I'd want mine any closer to my driver's window, though. It's behind the rear driver's wheel and I can still smell my exhaust any time I'm sitting still with the window down unless the wind is blowing from front-to-rear.

As easy as the straight shot approach looks, I still like having a muffler (straight through 3") because it really cleans up the sound. With no muffler it just sounds sloppy to me. It's a personal thing. Most people don't seem to mind.

Actually, if I read that inspection manual excerpt correctly (the wording in those things is very poor), you could just run a pipe straight from the turbo elbow and exit beside the front body mount. Not that I'd want to, but it sure would be short!

Is it correct to assume that if I need the exhaust routed all the way to the back of the car, I would need double the length of pipe used by Cruisin', i.e 14 feet?

I welded a cut out into my 3" with a flange on the end so I can put a plate over it with some nuts and bolts over it if need be. I takes approx 80 degrees of egts off and noticably increases hp. It sounds nice until you put it to the floor like up hills or passing, then it gets too loud.
IMG_1359.jpg

Is it correct to assume that if I need the exhaust routed all the way to the back of the car, I would need double the length of pipe used by Cruisin', i.e 14 feet?

I did my whole setup with a single 7' section, about 1.5 U-tubes, a flex joint, muffler, bigger dump pipe, and some hangers. I ended up with about 2' of the straight pipe left over. There aren't that many spots where you can take a long straight run, plus my muffler is almost 2' long. Mine goes over the frame behind the front body mount, UNDER the cross member above the rear axle, and terminates behind the rear wheel. I could have gone over that cross member but with my OME J springs in the rear I have enough room and will hit the bump stops before the rear housing touches the exhaust.

I wonder if that cutout creates much turbulence and messes up the exhaust flow when it's capped? Did you drive it without that piece welded on for a while first?

I did my whole setup with a single 7' section, about 1.5 U-tubes, a flex joint, muffler, bigger dump pipe, and some hangers. I ended up with about 2' of the straight pipe left over. There aren't that many spots where you can take a long straight run, plus my muffler is almost 2' long. Mine goes over the frame behind the front body mount, UNDER the cross member above the rear axle, and terminates behind the rear wheel. I could have gone over that cross member but with my OME J springs in the rear I have enough room and will hit the bump stops before the rear housing touches the exhaust.

I wonder if that cutout creates much turbulence and messes up the exhaust flow when it's capped? Did you drive it without that piece welded on for a while first?

My set up is similar to yours minus the muffler and I went over the cross member. I had been running the stock exhaust cut off and turned after the turbo down pipe so I was quite dissapointed when I installed the 3" all the way back following the stock route. It was then that I decided to put the cut out in afterwards. If it does make a difference when it's capped, it's not much.

I usually have the windows up so I don't smell the exhaust and the only time it's really loud is when I go up the coquihalla or try to get up to the speed of traffic quick.

I would take the rest out, but I'm too worried about getting hassled by the man, this way I can just put the cap on.

i'll throw this at you as just a caution.
I did this exact thing in the past, only with a 2 1/2 inch pipe and had it come out just before the rear axle or in front of the rear tire.
All was good until i started driving a lot of highways that summer.
At one point i began to hear a banging sound in the back of my truck. Pulled over, couldn't find what it was. Kept driving and the sound kept coming back. This time i noticed a burning rubber smell. Thought maybe a exhaust hanger. NOPE.
The exhaust started billowing down the chassis at highway speed, rather than out the side. The heat from the exhaust melted the poly bushing in my rear control arm that keep the diff straight. After going through that whole ordeal, i got it fixed and went to relocate the exhaust once again, and noticed that all of the carbon expulsion actually dirtied up my rear brake pads pretty bad and caused the one side to not hook up aswell.
THats just my advice.
CHeers,
Steve

I know this is an old thread, but I have a few questions?
I have picked up some old 3" pipe off a GM heavy duty, and am looking to copy your set up out the side.
I have the 3" flex pipe ordered and a Magnaflow 7" round muffler that should fit in the space between the frame and rockers.
Now to the questions? I am having a hard time removing the Flange at the turbo, and am scared I will just snap the bolts.
I was planning on using the same flange and going too 3" just after that, but before the flex pipe.
How to remove the Flange at the turbo?
Where do you get new Flange Gaskets?
I think the part # is 90917-06068. And 1st Toyota has them. But shipping from them has been a pain lately!
Thanks in advance.
Mike

My side pipe has had a few dings LOL, but I have not installed sliders yet to protect it. Mine is a strait though design, but a small magnaflow under the drivers door to tell the MTO that there is something there! round here they don't like us RHD guys, don't give them a reason!

My side pipe has had a few dings LOL, but I have not installed sliders yet to protect it. Mine is a strait though design, but a small magnaflow under the drivers door to tell the MTO that there is something there! round here they don't like us RHD guys, don't give them a reason!
I am planning on a Magnaflow in the same place. Did you replace the flange gasket when you made your new system? And have you had any problems with the exhaust melting your trailing arm bushing?
Mike

Hi, Mike,

I got some family in meaford! Haven't had anny issues with heat. I can get you the part number(on my original post) but it is very quite un loaded and has a great rumble when worked. If you can't find my original post(with pics of course) let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom