1HD-FTE with POWER! - >750nm @ crank, 230HP @ wheel @ 3k - Pics of fun with the Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love your work gbentink, keep it up. Good to see someone keeping the dream alive for us tojo guys lookin for a bit more. Looks like your getting some good numbers out of the 1hd fte with your turbos. I'll be in touch shortly

Cheers
Brian

Needs more room to put turbos.:doh:

Are you also doing a bigger flywheel??

I might challenge you for who's the first to get one going lol. At least that way it might be incentive for one of us to do it properly :)

I am toying with (what I consider to be) an interesting idea. I hope to make a very interesting modded 1KD engine, with one of my high performance 1KD-FTV vnts (due in 3 weeks, I feel like a kid at Christmas) as the primary and a noter turbo as the secondary.

I also have plans to fit this to a 100 series (Post 2002 IFS with 5 speed auto) so that I can tow meaningful things behind it (like my 4 tonne caravan). That should test out the little 4 banger ;)

The plan, 3 bar absolute (as a minimum), dual stage inter cooling, and dyno tested to optimise BSFC based turbo balance.

I'm also planning one for a race car (2 door tray back 2wd Hilux combination with auto for drag and track) just for kicks and because I want to do something different. Since my 3 lads are growing up, I want to try and keep the hooligan young drivers (in 2 years) to the track.

Back to Cruisers with 1HD's.... I have finally found a local person with a 1HD-FTE and the A442F (late model with electronic line pressure control). So... finally I shouldn't have to worry about gearbox issues and can push past the ~800nm limitations I have now. Fun times are coming for LC owners :) And....Hiluxes and Prados' too!

Am I reading this right Graeme, that you're going to put a 1KD-FTV with a compound turbo into a 100 series Landcruiser body? And it's going to pull the Bushtracker? Sheeesh.

I'm guessing this engine won't glaze up from not being worked :)

Tim

Are you also doing a bigger flywheel??

I might challenge you for who's the first to get one going lol. At least that way it might be incentive for one of us to do it properly :)

I'll be doing an inertia ring around the outside of the flywheel now. There is enough space around the outside of the pressure plate to add a ring which will add the same inertia of the existing flywheel again.

But whatever you are planning, you'll beat me to finishing the project easily. I have way too much happening in my life right now, I'll send you an email later.

My next immediate plan is that upgrade to my work-car. All the bits have been sitting around, just need to make a gauge pod and get into it. First thing is to pull out the engine/gearbox/transfer and try to siamese the 2wd high ratio box with the 4wd low ratio box.

I am toying with (what I consider to be) an interesting idea. I hope to make a very interesting modded 1KD engine, with one of my high performance 1KD-FTV vnts (due in 3 weeks, I feel like a kid at Christmas) as the primary and a noter turbo as the secondary.

I also have plans to fit this to a 100 series (Post 2002 IFS with 5 speed auto) so that I can tow meaningful things behind it (like my 4 tonne caravan). That should test out the little 4 banger ;)

The plan, 3 bar absolute (as a minimum), dual stage inter cooling, and dyno tested to optimise BSFC based turbo balance.

I'm also planning one for a race car (2 door tray back 2wd Hilux combination with auto for drag and track) just for kicks and because I want to do something different. Since my 3 lads are growing up, I want to try and keep the hooligan young drivers (in 2 years) to the track.

Back to Cruisers with 1HD's.... I have finally found a local person with a 1HD-FTE and the A442F (late model with electronic line pressure control). So... finally I shouldn't have to worry about gearbox issues and can push past the ~800nm limitations I have now. Fun times are coming for LC owners :) And....Hiluxes and Prados' too!

Keep us updated. A 1KD-FTV should be able to deliver some decent fuel economy unloaded.

I'll be doing an inertia ring around the outside of the flywheel now. There is enough space around the outside of the pressure plate to add a ring which will add the same inertia of the existing flywheel again.

But whatever you are planning, you'll beat me to finishing the project easily. I have way too much happening in my life right now, I'll send you an email later.

My next immediate plan is that upgrade to my work-car. All the bits have been sitting around, just need to make a gauge pod and get into it. First thing is to pull out the engine/gearbox/transfer and try to siamese the 2wd high ratio box with the 4wd low ratio box.

Keep us updated. A 1KD-FTV should be able to deliver some decent fuel economy unloaded.

Well you certainly have your work cut out for you; I'm trying to spend more time on R&D and design and less on getting under the vehicles....

The 1KD-FTV will be really interesting. I would expect gains all round; since when towing using ~ 400nm, it's not enough to really load the 4.2L and get the BSFC to near 200gm/kwh (usually closer to 230). I plan to do some tests on BSFC vs AFR to find the optimum point on load vs rpm. Then run closed loop fine tuning using the wideband to hit just lean of the sweet spot. Also testing some other fun iniatives :)

My first tests may actually be on a 1KZ-TE. I'm buying one for my Wife shortly (KZJ120) for testing and plan to fit a Gturbo 1KD-FTV high flow turbo, large FMIC and remove EGR, optimize (as in advance) timing. Will be interesting to measure the BSFC and in particular the expected power gains in higher rpms with the vnt. I would expect an easy 450nm on the 1KZ and be able to hold it fairly late in the revs. I will be dissapointed with less than 130rwkW. Actually; thats about the target but if the fuel is there, may get nearer to 150 at 2 Bar which translates into over 520nm of torque :cool:

:censor: me do you know how much trouble I'll get into now, the wife just agreed to let me to trade here car in and by a Prado, is there a repeat customer discount :idea:

Power at wheels now ~ 300hp mark ;)

Congrats.
What's the plan now, find the next bottleneck or retire before you break too much?:cheers:

BTW, airflow requirements to max out an Isuzu 4BD1T with stock pump are 25psi at 2000rpm rising to 33psi at 3200rpm.
Roughly 17 lb/min at PR 2.7 to 35 lb/min at PR 3.3.

If you've got hardware to do that and fit a T3 flange, it's going to open a lot of doors. These will fit both the 4BD1T and the cummins 4BT.
Right now the best turbo for these is the HE221W, it's a T2 flange. Owner reports are great for up to ~24psi but I'm not sure it's going to deliver enough turbine power at the top end.

Congrats.
What's the plan now, find the next bottleneck or retire before you break too much?:cheers:

BTW, airflow requirements to max out an Isuzu 4BD1T with stock pump are 25psi at 2000rpm rising to 33psi at 3200rpm.
Roughly 17 lb/min at PR 2.7 to 35 lb/min at PR 3.3.

If you've got hardware to do that and fit a T3 flange, it's going to open a lot of doors. These will fit both the 4BD1T and the cummins 4BT.
Right now the best turbo for these is the HE221W, it's a T2 flange. Owner reports are great for up to ~24psi but I'm not sure it's going to deliver enough turbine power at the top end.

Hmm, the AFR is like over 22:1? or the VE is really low.....Intercooled?

Cool, well I can say that a T3 flanged product is in the pipeline, I'm just not sure on the flow rate of the pipe....

Last edited:
Hmm, the AFR is like over 22:1? or the VE is really low.....Intercooled?

Cool, well I can say that a T3 flanged product is in the pipeline, I'm just not sure on the flow rate of the pipe....

VE at higher rpm ain't that flash, but all figures are conservative. Including intercooler effectiveness. These have only got 2/3's the valves of a 1HD-T and 1/3 the valves of a 1HD-FTE.

The Isuzu is miles ahead of the cummins for airflow. 74%* VE for a 4BT at 2,500rpm!:doh:

*I can't find where I calculated this. But Cummins data sheets for 4BT engines have intake flow at rated power. It's an easy step to VE.

Very interesting with the drivetrain power loss too. Any concerns about popping an intercooler joint?

To improve injection duration you'll need bigger pump elements. Injector size will only influence it a little with injection line swell. Do you have enough data now to size up injector nozzles?

My modifcations are going backwards. Chasing down a later model vehicle with air suspension. If I get it, my engine bay will change shape completely in the future and current work will become a waste of time.

i got 1 for sale. 1998 Lc100 6500€

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom