1HD-FTE which oil? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I know what the manual says.. 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in the winter. But lots of people are using 10w40, or 15w40. Some even 0w40, and reporting great results.

I currently have 10w40 (bought it like this), and I find the oil pressures a bit high when cold and a bit low when hot, so I can imagine that a w30 oil (that toyota recommends) would only worsen the hot pressure. As for the cold pressures I guess 0w or 5w would be better.

I'm leaning towards a 0w40 oil..

Any thoughts?

Oil change is due again (I've been using 5w30), so any new input would be appreciated.

From the diesel manual:

screenshot-2019-03-06-at-13-03-02-png.1920679

Europe/Except Europe is due to different turbo, EGR cooler and other European emission related things

I am using 5w40 in summer and 0w40 in winter, both Ravennol 100% synthetic Group IV.
With the 0w40 the engine is slightly quieter. No oil consumption with both.

When those guidelines were made 0W oil has been much much more rare and expensive than nowadays, if available at all, but it's a better oil in the deep cold.

Last edited:
Hi!

I know what the manual says.. 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in the winter. But lots of people are using 10w40, or 15w40. Some even 0w40, and reporting great results.

I currently have 10w40 (bought it like this), and I find the oil pressures a bit high when cold and a bit low when hot, so I can imagine that a w30 oil (that toyota recommends) would only worsen the hot pressure. As for the cold pressures I guess 0w or 5w would be better.

I'm leaning towards a 0w40 oil..

Any thoughts?
This is what I use in the UK,

Castrol GTX 5w30 Fully Synthetic C3. And have done for a long time with no problems, I change my own oil and filter.

BTW, 5w30 is the only viscosity Toyota UK use all yer round.

This is what I use in the UK,

Castrol GTX 5w30 Fully Synthetic C3. And have done for a long time with no problems, I change my own oil and filter.

BTW, 5w30 is the only viscosity Toyota UK use all yer round.
Unfortunatelly they don't sell that here well I live. Only Castrol Edge 5w30 C3

The oil specification for the 1HD-FTE is ACEA A3/B4. C3 is a low saps oil for much newer cars with DPF. It's controversial if it suitable for the older engines.

The oil specification for the 1HD-FTE is ACEA A3/B4. C3 is a low saps oil for much newer cars with DPF. It's controversial if it suitable for the older engines.
The oil debate will rumble on for as long as the internal combustion engine lasts on this planet, then the debate will turn to what electricity to use in our EV's.

The oil debate will rumble on for as long as the internal combustion engine lasts on this planet, then the debate will turn to what electricity to use in our EV's.
Agreed. I’d just like to know what others use and copy someone.

Agreed. I’d just like to know what others use and copy someone.
Then the other long running debate is about the frequency of engine oil changes, not only the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom