1HD-FTE into a 105 + build up for expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part 1

G’day folks, a couple years ago I started a build up that turned out pretty well (if I do say so myself). I posted a few pics in an intro thread (that I actually started 2 years ago – but that’s another story) but someone told me there was an “Expedition Vehicle” area. Here in Oz we call em “Outback Tourers” but it’s all the same thing.

My vehicle started life as an FZJ-105 RV. Basically a straight six petrol GXL 100 series with a live front end and no electric windows. I had a petrol 80 series previously but really wanted a factory multivalve TD 80. Trouble with them is that here they are getting rarer as they get older. Because there hasn’t been a factory turbo diesel 4dr cruiser wagon built with a live front end since 98 (well not untill the 76 a year or 2 ago), I figured, if I wanted it bad enough, I’d have to build it.

While I can’t tell everything cos I paid a very smart sparky to do the real tricky bits I did do a lot of the knuckle work. There are a bunch of things that aren’t covered here but there are also a few bits a pieces that may be of interest to anyone contemplating sticking a Multivalve Turbo Diesel into an LC105 body that start life with a TwinCam 4.5ltr petrol donk.

The plan was pretty simple. Get hold of a 105 for the old school under carriage and stick in a motor and box out of a 78 series Cruiser ute for balls. It has been done before so I didn’t see any real hurdles.

I was looking for a diesel 105 when I jagged this petrol LC105 RV through ebay really cheap ($10k) because some mental giant forgot to replace the oil when doing a service and promptly lunched the motor. It was a company hack so the boss just wanted it gone.[/

I had the car shipped from Drysdale in Victoria to a mates workshop up in Port Maquarrie (long story). I then scored the motor, box, ECU, harness and a million other bits from Jason down at Total Care 4x4 in Seven Hills (this guy is a legend and a bloody good bloke so if you need work done call him)

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

Getting the engine in was a piece of piss. The only real difference is that you use a different set of factory holes in the engine mounts and you need a 1HZ fan shroud. Other than that 1HZ engine legs, some heater hose gymnastics and some custom AC pipework.

engbay.jpg

As far as lecky work goes, my guy started the job with the factory manuals. He pulled both harnesss together and then set about ditching everything he didn’t need. Trouble was, the Toyota factory manuals were wrong! Or at least incomplete. Some real hair pulling was going on but then we got hold of the factory CD’s the cloud lifted. While I’m sure Lee would disagree, he wasn’t stretched on this one. It really was just a case of ‘get ya head around it’ and get it done. The extended time frame on this wasn’t his friend though. Stopping and then starting again months later really wasn’t the best way to do it. I reckon, given a clear run, Lee would have knocked this sucker over in about a week.

dash.jpg

Fuel

For the benefit of those that are unaware of the difference between a diesel system and a petrol system I will endeavour to outline them.

The main difference between the two systems are that in the petrol system there is a pump located in both the main and sub tanks that provided pressure to move the fuel up to the engine. The diesel system however relies on atmospheric pressure. Basically the single fuel pump is located up at the engine and it ‘sucks’ (yeah I know, no such thing) the fuel from the tanks. Because the Landcruisers have 2 tanks, a main and a sub, it needs a system by which to draw from one or the other and, to make it a little more interesting, return unused fuel to the tank from whence it came. To be a little clearer, it is commonly known that a diesel engine returns a significant amount of fuel back to the tank after it has passed through the fuel pump acting as a coolant however the petrol system also returns fuel from the rail so, if you are drawing from the main tank it would be sensible to return to that tank as well. Imagine what would happen if you returned to an already full sub tank….

The petrol vehicle delivers fuel from either tank under pressure provided by a pump located in the tank. The fuel passes through a valve that basically stops it being forced into the other tank and therefore sends it up the line to the rail. The returning fuel is directed back to the appropriate tank via a solenoid valve. The solenoid valve is activated by the same circuit that powers the pump. If Pump “A” is on then the solenoid returns to Pump “A’s” tank and so on. The diesel system draws fuel from the tank. In order that the correct tank is supplying, the system uses a solenoid valve arrangement on both the supply and return circuits. In addition to all this, the supply line in the diesel system is larger that that of the petrol. The reason for this is that to pump petrol through a pipe is much easier than to suck diesel. So, all that being said, to convert from petrol to diesel there are few things that need to be done; The pickups in both tanks need to be changed out, the main fuel line needs to be changed, there needs to be a solenoid added and last but not least you need to get rid of the filler pipe to the tanks because you can’t stick a diesel bowser nozzle into a ULP vent flapped hole

Some pics;

DSC_0026copy.jpg

DSC_0031copy.jpg

DSC_0037copy.jpg

DSC_0038copy.jpg

From the pics you can see that the main and sub tank pickups have an integrated pump. They are changed out for the diesel version without the pump. The main tank also integrates the level switch with the pick up.

Changing the subtank pickup is easy. You just need to get some decent (suction) fuel line to go from the pickup to the new solenoid.

When changing the main tank pickup you need to source the Toyota “Supply Fuel line” straight off the pickup. This item uses a special little yellow clip to retain it and there is no other way to do it. The return line however can be swapped straight across from the Petrol unit

There is a vent line going to the main tank also. This will be rendered useless with the conversion so it just needs to be plugged. The steel vent line forward to the engine bay, which is no longer in use, makes a dandy diff breather line

The non return valve in the supply line can be removed and sent to the big green filing cabinet too. In its place the new $209 supply solenoid will sit and be wired in parallel with the existing return solenoid

It did get a little fiddly getting the new fuel pipe fitted. I think if I did it again :)lol: as if :lol:) I would fabricate a new one rather than buy the factory unit (all 6' of it). It was a bit of a bitch to get in there and it still wasn’t exactly right. I’d say there are a few differences along the chassis between the diesel and petrol models

The fuel filler line is a bitch. It was obviously fixed to the body before the body was put on the chassis. It will need the removal of the exhaust and a few other little brackets to be able to swing in there.

Speaking of exhausts, I can’t believe the way the pipe has been flattened (factory) where it goes over the rear axle. It must be a massive restriction

The other thing that needs to be added of course is the diesel primer. I opted for a new unit from a 100 series with the Toyota bracket and Toyota hoses to keep it all looking as factory as possible

Once all these items are in and wired correctly the system functions normally using the std Sub Tank switch. It was necessary to run a relay in the system to get the solenoids to function but I’m not sure why. That smart sparky knows why though. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

fuelsystem.jpg

Fuelsystem2.jpg

The air intake was a bit of a head puk too. It sounded simple enough, come out of the 3” airbox outlet, turn 90° down, transform to 2½” and join onto the turbo. Bear in mind though, that the 90° bend had to be very flexible to accommodate the roll of the motor but it also had to be strong enough to handle the collapsing force when the turbo spooled up.

Initially I got hold of a 3” silicon bend, had a piece of 2½” aluminium pipe flared at one end to 3” and another bit of 2½” heat resistant hose to connect to the turbo. Good in theory but when I put it all together I still had reservations about the flexibility. In the end we decided to wonder the local wrecker in search of a factory hose that we might modify. There were a few odd things that looked ok but the wrecker we were at was the old school type where most vehicles were pretty old and the elements were really going to town. Almost ready to give up we stumbled upon an Mitsubishi van, the late model walk through type. It had what appeared to be a perfectly shaped hose from the air box to the throttle body. We’ll have that thanks.[/

With a bit of a mod and the lower half I already had we now have a functioning air intake that, aside from the hose clamps, looks almost factory.
intake1.jpg

Intake2.jpg
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Part 2

Next was the shifters. The issue was the shifters and the tunnel.

The shifters on the box from the 79 series Ute sit quite a way forward of the std gxl wagon set up. About 5 inches. So, in order to accommodate them we needed to bastardise the tunnel, tweak the transfer shifter from straight to a Z shape, tickle the main shifter back slightly to clear the dash and re manufacture the transfer linkage as it is now mounted in a different spot on the gearbox.

With a bit of heat we bent the main shifter. With a bit more heat we tied the transfer shifter in knots and with some expert welding we remanufactured a shorter linkage. As the tunnel had been done some weeks earlier, a local guy had come in to ‘make good’ the holes and re make the shifter boot frame. I didn’t like what had been done so my fabricator mate knocked up the cover and boot retainer that you can see bellow. While we were wondering the wrecker we found an 80 series shifter boot that looked like it would fit much better than the hacked up original kit so that was incorporated as well. A bit of Butyl Mastic and some blind rivets, a bloody good job I reckon.

Tunnel1.jpg

Tunnelplate.jpg

tunnel2.jpg

bootsfitted.jpg

WHILE THE MOD SHOWN IN THIS PART OF THE POST WAS EXECUTED PERFECTLY BY MY GOOD MATE ROB AND DID GIVE PLENTY OF CLEARANCE FOR THE DIFF HOUSING, IN THE END IT WASN'T ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE TRACK BAR SO I HAVE HAD TO RESORT TO BUYING A SUMP OF A 1HD-FT OUT OF AN 80 SERIES.. I have left it in coz I like the pics 

Thought I’d do a photo essay on the sump mod we did

The sump from the 79 sits precariously close to the front axle of the 105. When the vehicle dives into a sand dune or similar there is enough give in the caster bushes and engine mounts to allow the two too meet.

I could buy a sump off a HDJ80R plus the oil level switch and get little change out of $1000 or I could employ the talents of my good mate, Rob, and do it like this.

After bolting it down to something that wouldn’t allow it to warp, it was measured, marked up and cut with the 5” grinder

DSC_0019-1.jpg

This bit will go back in
DSC_0026.jpg

This bit won’t
DSC_0045.jpg

Bit of a clean up and the addition of some material
DSC_0071.jpg

New bit ready to be massaged and tacked
DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

TIG up the seem so not to put too much heat into the material
DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Bit of general heat to normalize what stresses were in there
DSC_0152.jpg

Clean up
DSC_0176.jpg

Check for weld porosity
DSC_0190.jpg

Bit of paint and ready to go back on
DSC_0199.jpg

When all that was done I added a 3” mandrel bent exhaust and away she went

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Last edited:
Part 3

In the months that followed the conversion I started to take what was a pretty standard LC105, all be it with a flash new motor, and turn it into a well prepared and appointed machine that would serve my family during our upcoming year of exploring Australia.

The list is as long as your arm of what I did to it but the first thing that needed attention was the working gear below the chassis line. Essentially I replaced (actually I paid a mechanic to replace) every bush, rod end, wheel bearing, steering bearing and wearing part under there as well as rebuild both front and rear diffs (the back one was very sad) with ARB air lockers and repack the CV’s etc. In went Bilstein shocks and the heaviest Lovells springs I could get (ultimately though, they didn’t stand a chance so the springs were later replaced with HD OME up the front and 600gk OME’s down the back). It sits about 2 inches higher than a standard one which is high enough for anything I want to climb.

Once the mechanical work was done I set about adding the bits that make it a good outback tourer. ARB winch bar (complete with my old 9000lb Warn winch), ARB side rails and brush bars. ARB roof cage to which we bolted a side awning, a fishing rod tube and brackets to carry the hilift and shovel. 170ltr long rang tank to replace the little one down the back. A set of draws and fridge slide for the back plus a Kaymar spare wheel carrier. There is a dual battery set up under the bonnet plus some comms gear inside. UHF for the close by stuff and a HF for the “across Australia” conversations.

There is a heap of other little things that we have done to it along the way as well but that is the main lot. Since the main engine swap part of this post was written 2 years and 45,000km ago, my family and I have done some 35,000km around Australia towing an off road camper trailer we also modded up special. To date we have had very little go wrong with it even after belting the crap out of it over some of Australia’s hardest roads. A couple bolts have worked loose, a diesel hose split and the brakes have needed some extra attention but nothing major. For the record it regularly returns 17lt/100km (you guys can work that out in MPG) towing the camper. All up weight including the camper is ~5t and with the aerodynamics of a brick. Before the weight and roof cage etc went on and with the bald 275-75-16’s that came with, it was getting 10’s all day long. Adding the 285 MTZ’s cost 2ltrs/100 straight up. The rest just came in weight, trailer and aerodynamics

Thanks for looking

Couple extra pics.

AirlietoBathurstHead387.jpg

BorroloolatoKatherine004.jpg

BorroloolatoKatherine052.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0543-1.jpg

BorroloolatoKatherine086.jpg

Imbil1009.jpg

KunanurratoBroome118.jpg

KunanurratoBroome024.jpg

TomPricetoExmouth045.jpg

OTL-Chilli164.jpg

OTL-Chilli262.jpg

OTL-Chilli292.jpg

099a.jpg

IMG_0592a.jpg

086.jpg

What’s next? Well sooner or later it’ll get a stretch like these two. Then a camper body so I don’t need to tow into those remote spots I like so much.

DSCF1422.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

Great write up and fantastic truck! Thanks.

I am jealous. It looks awesome and seems like a cool project to take on.

nice build

Good write up Joff, lazy days on the trip huh? Seems your low compression
1HDFT is doing ok....oh..and :flipoff2:

Geez, you got some time on your hands!! I see my truck made it onto a forum!

All that effort, and my old tech 1HZ flogs it! Hehehe....

And like hoggy said...:flipoff2:

Hi Joff,

Great build!

Why did you replace the original gearbox from the FZJ105 with the one from the donor HDJ79? Due to the shorter 1st and 2nd gears in the H150F?

Andrew

Nice Work JOF 888! I am jealous too:flipoff2:

Joff, thanks for the great write up. I know its been a long time since this thread was active, but I thought I'd ask the following anyway.

I'm currently looking at doing the same conversion, except I want to keept the FZJ105 auto.

My question is have you found anything in the years since doing the conversion that would change the way you approached it?

Also, how many km does the IHD-FTE have on it now, and have you had to do any significant maintenance?

Being a diehard no electronics guy, I'm having to change the way I'm looking at this next build, so am interested to know if the ECU or controller on the injection pump have given you any problems.

Thanks.

Joff, thanks for the great write up. I know its been a long time since this thread was active, but I thought I'd ask the following anyway.

I'm currently looking at doing the same conversion, except I want to keept the FZJ105 auto.

My question is have you found anything in the years since doing the conversion that would change the way you approached it?

Also, how many km does the IHD-FTE have on it now, and have you had to do any significant maintenance?

Being a diehard no electronics guy, I'm having to change the way I'm looking at this next build, so am interested to know if the ECU or controller on the injection pump have given you any problems.

Thanks.
Hey Mate,

How’d the conversion go? I’m just about to start mine now. Did you use the 4spd auto out of the FZ?

Hi Mattr,
I gave up is the short answer. After I put my plan together, and finally found an engineer to look at it, there were too many things for him to care about it because he was busy.

The majority of the issues, were QLD specific, of course QLD doesn't strictly follow the NCOP and have added a bunch of their own BS to make modifications harder. My recollection is that 95% of the project was okay, but there were so many technical documents I had to obtain, and submit with the engineering report, that it started looking risky and very expensive. I can see you are in NSW so it should be an easier project for you (I hope so).

I ended up buying a medium rigid fire truck instead, and am in the process of building a camper for it, rather than using the cruiser and camper/caravan. The truck is 30 years old, so no ECU. It also has 550mm of ground clearance (except under the diffs), which is awesome.

Hi Mattr,
I gave up is the short answer. After I put my plan together, and finally found an engineer to look at it, there were too many things for him to care about it because he was busy.

The majority of the issues, were QLD specific, of course QLD doesn't strictly follow the NCOP and have added a bunch of their own BS to make modifications harder. My recollection is that 95% of the project was okay, but there were so many technical documents I had to obtain, and submit with the engineering report, that it started looking risky and very expensive. I can see you are in NSW so it should be an easier project for you (I hope so).

I ended up buying a medium rigid fire truck instead, and am in the process of building a camper for it, rather than using the cruiser and camper/caravan. The truck is 30 years old, so no ECU. It also has 550mm of ground clearance (except under the diffs), which is awesome.
That sounds like a very cool project. Yeah im still in the planning stages, not too sure atm what’s need to make the auto work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom