1HD-FTE injector nozzle holder seal replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!

I'm in the process of replacing the manifold gaskets & injector lines on my FTE, and ordered a set of these seals, circled red in the picture.

Now after pulling the injectors lines and the manifold I can see that there is some dirt near the lip of the seal, and probably inside of it as well. I don't think there is a way I can clean it up at this point (with the injectors disconnected from the feed) without pushing dirt into the injectors. Is it okay to just pull these seals (and hopefully it will pull the dirt with it), then try to carefully clean the area with the seal removed, then reinstall the new seals? I can see how this might push dirt into the injectors and/or the rocker area. Or should I just leave it alone & not replace these seals? I hope I've explained it correctly, my english is bad, sorry.

Thanks in advance!

1569656796540.png

Use a vacuum cleaner on it as you remove it.
But if you can see the dirt, why cant you wash it off before you remove the seal?

Use a vacuum cleaner on it as you remove it.
But if you can see the dirt, why cant you wash it off before you remove the seal?

Because it’s an oily sludge & I’m afraid it will wash / get into the injectors (where the feed pipe was attached to) or into the rocker area or into the intake - although this could be masked off, but not the other two.

Just wash them before you start removing anything. Wipe it off with a rag first.
Diesel injection shops must deal with this everyday.

Just wash them before you start removing anything. Wipe it off with a rag first.
Diesel injection shops must deal with this everyday.
I’ve already removed the injector pipes and the intake

The washing always comes first. Either put the pipes back on finger tight or mask them off.
Or if you can find a diesel injection shop nearby, ask if you can buy some red caps like they use

1569791614103.png

Okay, so I was able to clean up the area pretty well with paper towel, screwdriver, and some brake cleaner without getting any dirt falling into the rocker area (and when you pull the seal it pulls most of the dirt with itself aswell). I'm happy how it turned out. The only issue was that I've accidentally dropped one of the new seals into the dust, so had to order a new one (5days), so can't put the truck together till it arrives.

Couldnt you just wash the dust off the seal?

Couldnt you just wash the dust off the seal?
To be honest I had a blackout that second and lost my mind (anger & sadness), so I’ve quickly hit it with brake cleaner to see if that gets the dust / sand off of it, but it also ate away the rubber a bit. I should have tried to rinse it off with water.

All, I just replaced the injector nozzles for my 1HD-FT two months ago. Now I got the leakage problem! I suspect it causes because I do not clean the boots/ sleeve before replacing the new one! :(
Now I have to do it again to replace the new boots! Ahhhh... Is there any advice or proper description for doing this? Thanks

It's very easy (once you get to it), and is covered in the 1HD-FTE engine service manual.
Basicly you just pry them out with a flat head screwdriver, I've put some engine oil on the new boots & pushed them back into place.

Not sure if the manifold has to come off or not for the job (mine was off anyway), but if it has to, then it would be a good idea to replace the gaskets and the nut washers that hold the manifold in place (go with oem toyota for the gaskets). The intake elbow sure has to come off the manifold, so it would be a good idea to replace its gasket as well (where it connects to the manifold)
The space is very limited at cylinder 6, and it's a pita to remove/reinstall both the manifold and the injector pipe & rubber boot as well, especially if it's your first time. You don't have to remove the metal valve cover (only the plastic one, so no gaskets involved)

Edit: I can send you the service manual if you PM me with an email address

1593102876194.png

1593102803660.png

1593102821288.png

1593102842020.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I have tried to lose the screw of the boots and the injectors. My plan is not planned to replace the boots, just re-tight the screw of the boots and the screw of the injectors. The mechanic told me this is because I tight the injector's screw after tight the boot's screw. This is wrong. I make previously. Finally, it can't remove all problem. Some of them is still going to leak. :/

Anyone can guide me on how to make sure the boot screw and the injectors are perfectly installed? :/

IMG_20200712_210116.jpg

the paper is used to detect the leakage.

Last edited:
That's not an FTE engine, but an FT. Anyway, it could be that the injector pipes are worn (they can develop hairline cracks) / not sealing properly - They should be replaced every time you remove them anyway, and every 150k kms.
I think the fluid on the tissue looks more like diesel than engine oil.

That said, mine also is leaking a bit on the no3 pipe.. Not sure what to do.. Should I try and retighten the nut? Or should I just leave it as is? It's just a little mist on the nut/pipe.

Yesterday I have tried to lose the screw of the boots and the injectors. My plan is not planned to replace the boots, just re-tight the screw of the boots and the screw of the injectors. The mechanic told me this is because I tight the injector's screw after tight the boot's screw. This is wrong. I make previously. Finally, it can't remove all problem. Some of them is still going to leak. :/

Anyone can guide me on how to make sure the boot screw and the injectors are perfectly installed? :/

View attachment 2369199
the paper is used to detect the leakage.
Did you ever get this sorted? I've noticed that one of my injectors (nr. 3. ) is also leaking a bit like yours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom