1HD-FTE help. Engine siezed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

Currently I am in Australia visiting and my relative has a 100 series with the 1HD-FTE engine which is very poorly.
He was driving at around 90kph when the engine revs surged followed by a crunch and a bang. Black smoke filled cab and poured out from under bonnet/ hood.
It was towed to a Ford garage who removed the gearbox after diagnosing it as faulty. They then said the engine was seized so it was towed back to his home.
Clutch appears burnt but not destroyed. Timing belt is intact and there are no oil leaks. I need to try and crank the engine but have limited tools.
Ive looked for workshop manuals online but all links appear to not work.
As i need to buy some tools can anyone tell me what size socket i need for crank pulley bolt and of course anyone any advice on what has occured? Is this a common issue etc.
Any link to a manual would be great as ive not done much on diesels.
Thanks Guys

What's your location?

Okeydoke - bit far from me I'm afraid. Im pretty certain I have electronic copies of manuals - will have a look tonight

That would be great. I think its terminal though as I cant move the engine more than a fifth of a turn with a 2ft bar.

Wow this sounds bad it’s true. Certainly not a common problem - these are probably the longest lasting most reliable engine Toyota have ever made (more than 1hzs). Was the failure 100% out of the blue or did it overheat/run out or oil etc.? I’m actually not far from gulgong (1.5 hours) but not sure how i can be of any help. What does the oil look like? If you can only get 1/5 of a turn something has come adrift - bad ju ju.

Depends on what they want to spend - you could pull the sump and or head, but cheapest and quickest option (not necessarily best) is to get an exchange engine - generally about $6k I think, look on gumtree. If it’s genuinely locked and you’re not fighting compression, and have confirmed it’s not being locked up by something jamming the flywheel is be pulling the whole thing out for further work. It is possible to pull the sump in situ but a pita I believe

Cheers Wedge.
Im thinking oil starvation as he said he had to put 5 litres in the week before. Dipstick is about an inch over the full mark. (Think I need to give him some basic maintenance lessons). Turbo may have blown and oil got through to the cylinders. Im going to pull injectors to see if the pots are hydrolocked.

Hmm something’s fishy there... yeah black smoke would say turbo gave up and it overfueled (although ecu would have pulled fuel when it saw loss of boost but maybe not instantly). Can’t see hydro lock lasting so long, the injectors can be a pita if old too, probably need a slide hammer. But in for a penny... I’d say bent rods/broke valves at a min. How long are you around. Might be able to get a manual to you if you’re stuck and have a spare USB pen (2gb min)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom