1hd-fte black smoke and rough idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently experiencing heavy black smoke on my land cruiser 100 1hd fte under hard acceleration which will then blow out a heap of black smoke and then remain constant as foot is down on peddle. The car does not smoke on idle and only on acceleration. I had them shown it to my mechanic and he then did a so called ‘test’ where when running the engine he opened the oil filler cover and dip stick which was blowing out some sort of a vapour/smoke and was told I need a engine rebuild. Car only have 205,000 Kms. The engine bay also builds up dust around the intake manifold, could this mean I should first change the manifold gaskets etc and then test the car? Also the car has a ‘rough idle’ which feels like a misfire. Appreciate any help. I am attaching a photo the dust build up around the intake.
Also forgot to mention that the car is eating a lot of oil where I need to top up about 500ml a week or so and there is no oil leak anywhere on and around the engine.

Don’t know much about the 1HDT-fe. Know Diesel engines otherwise. Test done by mechanic points to worn out stem seals or valve guides or both. It maybe also that you just need your valves adjusted. I would try adjusting valves first. Reason i think valve adjustment would is that you do not have smoke at start up or idle. Replacing stem seals or valve guides requires the head to be removed. Dust around the intake could mean air is being sucked in by leak area as you are thinking. It does not explain burning oil or black smoke.

Could be a blown turbo, could be a worn engine, could be anything really..

Thanks for the replies. I’m yet to have the turbo worked on as there is oil in the intake pipes from the turbo thus I’ll have the seals changed and then take it from there. A friend did have a similar issue of burning oil which turned out to be oil leaking through turbo which is abit weird but I’ll give it a go. Mechanics here don’t seem to know much hence I have to rely on forums etc.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom