1HD-FT Swap questions (diesel fuel pick up, collector flange, intercooler rec) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Crew,

Working on some final prep as we begin to finish out a 1HD-FT swap into 97 LC.

Need some help finding:
1. Diesel fuel in tank pick up or can gas pick up be used as a last resort?
2. Recommended collector flange for exhaust? (fabricating locally)
Opinions:
3. Intercooler recommendation (front mount)?

I've done some reading on the intercooler but haven't decided one way or the other but believe the front mount to a better solution for our Texas summers. Note that I have a Big Boy Turbo installed.

Appreciate any help tracking down the first two and your thoughts on #3.

Cheers!

I'd say the pickup should not matter between gas/diesel, you should put a lift pump in between the tank and IP, will help with priming and take the strain off the IP.

check out this thread on the flange
This Dump pipe for a HDJ81?

I have a PDI intercooler on my 70, and its awesome, pricey but worth every penny in my opinion, they have a kit for the 80s.

Get the diesel pickup, as it is available from Partsouq, and a direct swap into the tank. You will need to upgrade the feed line from the tank to the filter and IP to 1/2", as the gas line is insufficient IMHO for the amount of fuel needed.

I used the factory collector with my GTurbo.

I went with the Safari FMIC, nice fit, and works great.

One thing that you will find is that the aircleaner is a weak point with the bigger turbo.

Safari FMIC
Thanks @CycloSteve. I've just ordered a bunch of parts from partsouq but did not find the diesel pick up in stock unfortunately.
Partsouq Link

Any chance you have your PN's that you used to source it and the additional bits? I Have the following: 77017-60110

@70sguy any chance you have a diesel pick up available up in the great white north?

Thanks!

Sure do! Have HDJ81 pick up $50 plus postage. Also have fuel filter assy’s with mounting tower... fuel line sets, but they’re impossible to ship without cutting in half.

BTW, highly recommend Safari FMIC, that’s what I’m running on my 1HD-FT swapped 97.
I used factory turbo dump into Rage Big Bore exhaust out of AUS, which I can’t recommend, at least not the mild steel version...Rusted to crap in no time.

Looks like Sheldon has what you need.

The part I picked up was a different number, and from Amayama.

77017B TUBE SUB-ASSY, FUEL TANK VENT
77017-60150

With the feed line to the filter I had a new stainless steel pipe bent and flared to fit.

@70sguy Just heard from the Safari dealer here in Austin, TX after a few days effort...they say Safari doesn't make 80 series intercoolers anymore:

"..it would have been the SCHDJ80-24 that would fit on your vehicle but they have stopped making all 80 series intercoolers and no longer have any stock left

Sorry for the bad news"

Anyone heard this or confirmed this? If true, what other intercooler with front mount would you suggest?

Thanks,

Donovan

Wow, that sucks! I guess our trucks are that old! Glad I got mine when I did!

Safari tend to make big batches or kits, so unless they can gauge a level of demand they wont do a run. I would go the PDI cooler.

I'm a little late on this, but if you're fabricating locally on your exhaust, you might do that for your intercooler as well. Might at least be worth a price comparison.

I went with this FMIC and this Intake adapter off of ebay. Had both shipped for a total of $320usd. Then you just need who ever is fabricating your exhaust to plumb the pipe for this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom