1hd-ft swap in PZJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's extremely difficult to import engines and second hand car parts into my country; I'd given up hope of ever getting my hands on a 1hd, but a chance encounter with a car dealer changed that. I've had to wait for over a year but it looks like the wait may be finally over.

The engine was sourced in Dubai from a crashed Coaster bus, 5 years ago. It was legally imported into my country and languished in a workshop store until I got my hands on it this morning.

The seller of the engine is a bit shady and claimed it was a low mileage engine. However on opening the head, in my workshop, we found that the bore had been sand papered and water had seeped in. The head seemed o.k. though.

we are going to open up the bottom end tomorrow and take out the innards.

We've settled on U.S. $4500 for the engine. However, I'm only going to pay him if I'm satisfied. Otherwise, sadly, i'll have to return it.

I have a zillion questions about the swap, but my main problem apart from deciding on whether to buy the engine or not, is finding a suitable gearbox.

Currently, I have a R141 mated to my 1PZ engine, but from what I've read it won't hold up to a 1hd-ft.

I'd seen a gearbox from 100 series petrol at a wreckers, a couple of months back, and based on the total lack of demand for such things, it should still be available; from what i've read it should be a H150. But will it fit in my pzj70? Will I have to fiddle with the cross member etc. And can I open up the gearbox and convert it into a H151?

The older H55f gearboxes from the diesel 60 and 70 series are freely available. Could I use them? Could I retain the input shaft and change the clutch plate etc?

Also, could I use the current wiring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

the R141 has a different imput shaft
my R141 has been standing up easily to the PZ turbo, intercooled with PI in my bush rig... if anything was going to bust this tranny this setup with 36 tractor tires and my heavy foot would have... so i will call BS on the weakness of the R141.
the H151 is a much heavier but, in my opinion, POS tranny.
if it was me i would look at the H55F since it is a strong, smooth shifting tranny with the 4.8 - 1 first gear. the tcase will also need to be swapped sinc ethe bolting pattern to the R141/R151 is different than the H151 or the H55F
the older H55F behidn the gassers and the "B" series have different imput shafts as well vs the HZ/HDT
you will need a different cross member, engine mounts but the elec will be close.

sorry that is all i know...

Hey mate, check out this thread for a good write up on installing a 1HD-FT into a PZJ70.

interesting, why didn't he move the HDT forward to install it properly into the PZ engine bay...he could have used the engine mounts from a HZJ7* to locate it.
other than that, from what we can see, it looks like a nice install... it would be a wicked ride now.

interesting, why didn't he move the HDT forward to install it properly into the PZ engine bay...he could have used the engine mounts from a HZJ7* to locate it.
other than that, from what we can see, it looks like a nice install... it would be a wicked ride now.

I liked how they did it out in the open with lights rigged for long hours:D
If you did a search of his posts ,you could probably find out more.

it must be nice to work in a country where you can be outdoors to do a swap...
here, it can be sunny and 28C and an hour later drop to 20C and a down pour...

snailtrail,

I'm much obliged. This will be an absolute life-saver.

Do you guys think that the 1h engine mounts for the 70 series would have ensured that Smithie's 1hd-ft wouldn't touch the firewall?

The chasis for the hzj70 and pzj70 seem to have different part nos on the EPC. Maybe the engine mounts are slightly different on the chassis?

I'd always believed, erroneouously I suspect, that the engine mounts for the HZJ and PZJ 70 series, were on the identical spots on the chassis.

Please elucidate?

i do not have a HZ sitting here at the moment, sorry.
the FSM shows location of the shocks etc but not the engine mounts.
the engine mount right is the same part number for both
the engine mount left part number is different, the EPC does nto show locations either.

sorry

Here are some pics of a 1HZ in a 75 series, and the front end of the 75 series is the same as a 70 series. This one has the H55F transmission behind it.

Cheers,

Michael
DSC00791a.jpg
DSC00792a.jpg
DSC00793a.jpg

Here is a few pics of what the frame mounting points for the engine mounts look like.

Cheers,

Michael
DSC007771.jpg
DSC00772a.jpg

Thanks! Micheal.

I want to ascertain the exact position of the engine mount brackets on the chassis. Is it possible for you take measurements of the distance between the starting points of the engine mounts and the front tips of the corresponding chassis rails? Is there is a better way to take these measurements?

Many thanks, again.

Last edited:
Thanks! Micheal.

I want to ascertain the exact position of the engine mount brackets on the chassis. Is it possible for you take measurements of the distance between the starting points of the engine mounts and the front tips of the corresponding chassis rails? Is there is a better way to take these measurements?

Many thanks, again.

I think a better way would be to measure to the shock mount, it is closer and should be in the same place as long as you have front leafs, if you have front coils I will have to measure from my 79 series. Let me know if you think this will work for you, look at the pics again and see how they line up to the shock mount (upper of course) and then compare to what you have, if we are in the ball park I can take the measurements, was at the shop all weekend, probably will not make it back until next weekend.

Michael

I have front leafsprings. It would be absolutely super if you could take those measurements.

Many thanks, Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom