1HD FT or 1HZ in a remote-ish area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on the brink of buying a 97 with a 1HZ and then this 1HD FT came on the market. I know the 1HD FT is vastly superior and sought after. But being that we live in a place where parts are sometimes hard to find (Costa Rica). If you were to choose between a 97 with a 1HZ and 220k miles, or 97 with a 1HD FT with 150k miles what would you do? And the price is just a difference of about $1,500. I know the 1HD FT was just in production for a few years. Will parts be hard to find? With these miles that motor probably wont be needing many parts for a while I assume. I read the 1HZ is still in production. Thanks!

1HD FT is the dark blue one, I think it has a mechanical winch too

89499878_2836325366464276_524676975860645888_n.jpg

68688929_10162355265405226_3311374082469003264_o.jpg

Buy both!:cheers:

1HD-FT because that bumper looks cool and more powah!!!

1hdft all day...less miles and if you are worried about parts you can slowly stock up on the important ones.
Yeah seems like the obvious choice to me too. Im looking into what other vehicles used that motor or shared parts? This area is full of all the other Landcruiser Models, just not too many 80's.

Another Zack R WTF!

Costa Rica is a cool place, my first experience with a landcruiser was a rental one down there in 2010 (120 series Prado 3 door, 4cyl diesel, manual shift). It was perfect for exploring all over.

Another Zack R WTF!

Costa Rica is a cool place, my first experience with a landcruiser was a rental one down there in 2010 (120 series Prado 3 door, 4cyl diesel, manual shift). It was perfect for exploring all over.
Hey! haha cool. Yeah we do a lot of exploring and surf trips up and down the coast, and these are perfect for that, on these roads.

HDFT's are still highly respected out here in Aus evan as they nudge 25 years old. Go the HDFT any day, all day.
Routing maintenance -oil and filters- will see you right. 1HZ's are slugs....

1HZ is meh. FT has more power, will have better fuel consumption and the rest of the truck with the FT looks in better condition.

All of the components that are wear items or require routine maintenance are the same between these motors anyway - same oil and fuel filters, water pumps, most of the timing belt components (some differences in tensioners), alternators, starters and AC pumps are all interchangeable.

Any Bosch/Denso injector pump shop can service either pump. The injectors are quite different but any competent diesel shop that can get the nozzles can service them.

I'd go the 1HDFT. 1HZs are slow and gutless.

All of the components that are wear items or require routine maintenance are the same between these motors anyway - same oil and fuel filters, water pumps, most of the timing belt components (some differences in tensioners), alternators, starters and AC pumps are all interchangeable.

Any Bosch/Denso injector pump shop can service either pump. The injectors are quite different but any competent diesel shop that can get the nozzles can service them.

I'd go the 1HDFT. 1HZs are slow and gutless.
Great information, thanks!!

Yeah the main concern was about the wearing parts so that is good to hear that many of them are interchangeable.

If you are happy ordering parts from www.partsouq.com or www.amayama.com then you'll be fine. You'll find that Genuine parts are easy to get from Toyota for these motors - they're still making most of the bits since the 1HZ is still in production and the 1HDFTE that was in 70 series and 100 series cruisers also shares lots of bits. Its the other parts on the 80 platform that are starting to be discontinued - theres a thread about this in the sticky section that makes interesting (if depressing) reading.

FT all the way. Buy it and don’t look back.

I drove a 1HZ poverty pack truck every day for a year. It was my favorite cruiser ever- then I sold it to buy an HDJ80 with a 1HDT. I love the 1HDT even more. The difference in power is unbelievable. I am building a truck with a 1HDFT currently, so believe me, I have thought about parts availability extensively.

As others have said, parts are widely available. Some FT stuff is expensive (injectors), but the vast majority of the parts are available from Partsouq, Amayama, Impex Japan, and Cruiser shops in the States.

And if you get sick of it, sell it to me!

FT all the way. Buy it and don’t look back.

I drove a 1HZ poverty pack truck every day for a year. It was my favorite cruiser ever- then I sold it to buy an HDJ80 with a 1HDT. I love the 1HDT even more. The difference in power is unbelievable. I am building a truck with a 1HDFT currently, so believe me, I have thought about parts availability extensively.

As others have said, parts are widely available. Some FT stuff is expensive (injectors), but the vast majority of the parts are available from Partsouq, Amayama, Impex Japan, and Cruiser shops in the States.

And if you get sick of it, sell it to me!

Thanks! This really puts me over the edge if I wasn't already, i'm going for it.

Uh oh, now I’m responsible!!!

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Now go get that cruiser!

So the one was a 1HD-T not an FT (the guy i was talking to about it was just a kid hired to post it for sale on facebook), but it was in beautiful condition, so I bought it. Drove it 6 hours home and now am going through it, fixing things and hopefully not needing to do major engine work. Just posted a new thread about the seeming lack of power and bit of white smoke it has. I am happy with the purchase even if I need to have some major work done, as labor here is very affordable. Anyway if anyone has and ideas please let me know. Im going to take the injectors out tomorrow and take them to be cleaned, hoping clogged up injectors is all it is, will also replace the timing belt, and anything els you guys recommend. During the sale I only had a chance to loosed the oil cap to see no signs accessive blow by, and it sounds great and starts imediately so i figured if there is an issue it's probably something minor. Thanks guys!

I think im linking this right:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom