1HD-FT Injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me 1HD- FT (has ~220,000km on it) is smoking a little bit in the morning and not doing so good on fuel economy. So I am thinking that my injectors may need some love, but I am having trouble finding anyplace near me (eastern US) that has any experience with these.

Does anyone know of a shop that can rebuild the 1HD-FT injectors in N.A.? Especially if there is anyone who could send me a rebuilt set and then I could return the cores to minimize downtime.

I can't help you with an adress, but if you really can't find a shop closeby i've got a set that can be used as cores so you don't have to much downtime. Don't know what the value is and they would need to be shipped, but that's not a big deal.

Just giving you an option

The earlier 1HD T injector would send 2 charges of diesel for each combustion stroke. If the 1HD FE has this feature, and I'm sure it will, not many diesel shops can deal with it.
However, having them set for a single charge doesn't affect the performance noticeably. It just gets the full measure of diesel in one charge.

Most shops allow you to return the core if you leave a deposit or cc details. But I doubt many shops in NA will have a spare set.

@GreaseMonkeyJP , although I have a 1HD-T engine, I'm sharing this info in the hopes that it helps you out...earlier in 2017 I was faced with a similar situation in which I wanted to replace or rehab my 1HD-T injectors and live here in the states (Texas actually). Since our 91 HDJ81 is our daily driver, I wanted to limit downtime and didn't want to send off my injectors somewhere, and wait 7-10 days to have them rehab'ed/repaired and calibrated and shipped back. Plus the cost to have them reconditioned and inspected was going to be about $100 per injector (so ~ $600 total), plus shipping. Instead I decided to purchase brand new 1HD-T injectors for about $160 per injector. So, yes, I'm paying another $360 more (i.e. $60 x 6 = $360) than having my injectors inspected and serviced, but I'm also getting new injectors :) You then have a replacement set...and, you can sell your old injectors for about the premium that you paid for new injectors...or keep the old ones and have them reconditioned/repaired and you have a spare set, ready to go for the next time you need to tend to them. Just a thought...

I can't help you with an adress, but if you really can't find a shop closeby i've got a set that can be used as cores so you don't have to much downtime. Don't know what the value is and they would need to be shipped, but that's not a big deal.

Just giving you an option
Thanks for the offer after some more digging it looks like I have a compression problem too so the engine is coming out. So I should have plenty of time for someone to do an injector rebuild while I do the rest.

May be a good time to check valve clearances and IP timing too
I started with checking those items as they are much easier and cheaper to fix

after some more digging it looks like I have a compression problem too so the engine is coming out.

Well that sucks. Do they know yet what the issue is, or not till it's torn down?

220000klms is nothing for a 1HD FT. Do you think the speedo reading is true? At that mileage the engine should be in its glory days.

220000klms is nothing for a 1HD FT. Do you think the speedo reading is true? At that mileage the engine should be in its glory days.
I thought so too, that is why I didn't tear it down as soon as I got it. I figured that it would be a shame to rebuild while it is still getting broken in.

The engine was pulled from an 80 series in Japan, and unfortunately I didn't get to see the vehicle that it was coming from so I don't have much to go on except the sellers word. (And a video of it running before it was pulled.)

I am hopeful for a head gasket, but I won't really know what is wrong until it is apart

That sucks. My 1HDFT had 350K km on it when i bought it and although it had some wear and tear issues, compression wasn't one of them. It wasn't maintained that good either....

I’m looking at either needing to get my 1 HD-FT nozzles rebuilt or purchase new ones. What did you wind up doing? Would love to get a contact of who you used or links to new nozzles....

I got mine serviced at a local diesel shop called GCL diesel. I printed a copy of the pages from the service manual for them, they followed those specs and ordered parts as needed. Truck's been running just fine since.

Apparently it's not the impossible rocket science some folks here like to make it out to be.

Apparently it's not the impossible rocket science some folks here like to make it out to be.

Correct, any reputable shop should be able to rebuild any injector if they have the specs and parts. They all work in fundamentally the same way.

@GreaseMonkeyJP:

I used these guys for my injector rebuild and they were awesome to deal with. Honest and inexpensive. Very quick as well.

They're in Oregon if I recall correctly. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom