1hd-ft bore rust (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday, I bought a 1HD-FT engine to swap into my PZJ70.

The engine was kept very badly and on disassembly we found some rust on cylinders 4 and 6. On cursory inspection the bores did not feel pitted but a very experienced mechanic insisted that we'd have to rebore the engine block and also suggested fitting bore liners. He added further that honing the bore would probably take it out of spec.

The Toyota manual engine manual recommnends either reboring or replacing the engine block. It is silent on fitting bore liners.
Does anyone have any experience or information on fitting bore liners on the 1H engine?

Secondly would a R141 hold up to a 1hd-ft?

And lastly, with the wiring and wiring jacks on my PZJ70 be compatible with the 1HD-FT?

Many thanks.

What you need to know is has the engine been rebored before?If not you can certainly have it rebored to 1st oversize specs if the pitting is as light as you say it is.In my experience honing will not take a bore out of spec unless it is right on the limit in which case you are better of reboring anyway.Neither will it remove anything other than the very lightest scuffing/scoring or bore glazing.Apperently you can rebore only the affected cylinders and not upset engine balance as oversize pistons are kept to the same weight as OE size.

Not familiar with the A141 but you will probably have some adaptation of the wiring on the PJ.

A friend of mine that's been an engine machinist for 35 years told me that boring a diesel engine isn't always a great option depending on the compression specs for the motor. Boring a cylinder will add volume which will increase the compression ratio slightly. I have no idea if this matters on a 2H. I'm only relaying a piece of info that maybe someone more experience can elaborate on.

I know the 2H rebuild kits come with cylinder liners and not oversized pistons. It would be cheaper to sell a kit with oversized pistons and no liners so there must be a reason why liners are included.

Diesel tolerances are sooooo tight that honing is not a good option. Just take a look in the FSM at how specific the the tolerance #'s are for a cylinder to in be spec- it's a very narrow margin.

I've heard the R series trannies don't stand up to the 1HD engines. It should be mated to an H15* tranny or an H55F.

The R series trannies don't hold up well to an abusive environment but if you are a driver who is easy on your truck - and the transmission is good you will be alright. But you will need a new input shaft - so you might as well rebuild the tranny while you are in there.

Just buy an engine tranny combo that doesn't need work - you are in for som ebig dollars.

John

I had a 1HD-FT in my 105 with R151 box, It held up well even though i did a lot of wheeling with it.
I don't know the PZ motor that well so I don't know if the wiring will be the same.
I swapped my 1HZ with a 1HD-FT and the wirring was a piece of cake everything was the same, from water temp to oil presure and even the diesel solinoid.

Certanly a R151 will hold the 1HD-T powa .. but we are talking abbout other tranny that come in a PZ .. I will love to see how nice will perform a 1HD-T with a H55F ..

BTW I thought the HD-T engine don't use liners .. as the 2H do.

Certanly a R151 will hold the 1HD-T powa .. but we are talking abbout other tranny that come in a PZ .. I will love to see how nice will perform a 1HD-T with a H55F ..

BTW I thought the HD-T engine don't use liners .. as the 2H do.

Isn't the R151 a 5 speed version of the R141?

I think a 4 sp behind a 1HD FT is defeating the purpose of the engine swap

now i have been running the R151 behind the PZ for a couple hard years and just last year swapped a used R141 out of a mine truck into it. (the R151 is a 5 speed with a crappy first gear (for off roading)) the R141 is a 4 speed witht he same gear ratios as the old H41 H55F (minus 5th) trannies).

ANY tranny will eat itself if too much abuse is poured on it. the R series has been standing up okay to the PZ turbo'd/intercooled/overfueled/with propane well enough in fact to warrant a new R141. the old 'mine' abused tranny is making noise now but still shifts fine and works good (but the noise is killing the idea of a daily driver)/
the H151 is over rated in my books. poor gearing, poor shifting.
the H55F is the one you want if you can get it. smooth shifting, excellent gearing and long lasting (5th gear hub can wear out at around 300,000). my favorite tranny of all time.

i will agree with Rosco, a 4 speed behind the HDT is a waste of time and money, no matter what speed the vehicle will be cruising at.

finally, NEVER tow in 5th with any Toyota tranny. eventually you will tear 5th out.

A friend of mine that's been an engine machinist for 35 years told me that boring a diesel engine isn't always a great option depending on the compression specs for the motor. Boring a cylinder will add volume which will increase the compression ratio slightly. I have no idea if this matters on a 2H. I'm only relaying a piece of info that maybe someone more experience can elaborate on.

I know the 2H rebuild kits come with cylinder liners and not oversized pistons. It would be cheaper to sell a kit with oversized pistons and no liners so there must be a reason why liners are included.

The early 2H motor was fitted with cylinder liners the later model 2H motors did not use liners so for the later model 2H you use oversize pistons. The non use of liners gave a stiffer block.

2nd hand parts are hard to come by in my neck of the woods. So, locating a suitable 2nd hand gearbox for the 1hd-ft will take time; I take comfort from the fact that roads here are poor and/or congested so high speed driving is not a major concern for me at the moment.

What has begun to bother me is that the engine mount brackets and their location, on the chassis, are different for the 70 series PZJ and the HZJ. This would mean moving the engine mount brackets. I would also have difficulties with the bellhousing, input shaft etc of the gearbox.

Due to the lack of 2nd hand parts and competent mechanics I've begun to have my doubts about the swap.

I was really looking foward to the swap as the altitude of Kathmandu is a about 5000ft(1500mts.) and I routinely go over 10,000 ft; a turbo charged engine would really shine at these altitudes.

so,
once again
turbo the PZ and you will be happy.
it is EASY to do and cheaper and easier than swapping a questionable motor in.

so,
once again
turbo the PZ and you will be happy.
it is EASY to do and cheaper and easier than swapping a questionable motor in.

x2 From what little I know about the roads and the terrain,the 1PZ will be fine.
The 1HD FT are at their best on the highway in 5th gear at 70-80mph.
At trail speeds it will be no better than the PZ

you chaps may be right! I think I'll keep the 1HD-FT for a HZJ80 swap at a later time.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom