1HD-FT and Canada & USA Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear everyone,

We want to travel to Canada, Alaska and USA onwards to South America in 2015. We will travel with our 1996 80 Series Diesel. Having read from a few other travelers (mostly though with the 1 HZ engine) the got problems with their injection and fuel pump. They claim it was the poorer specification diesel (compared to Europe). That worries me a bit so...:

• Can anyone confirm this?
  • I know, they are rare, but is anyone running a 1HD-FT engine in the States and can give first-hand information?
  • Or should I just use an additive?

Every advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Lukas

A clear glass type water seperator/sedimenter with drain, something which is easy to see and service. Water stays on the bottom and crud tends to settle out.
Probably a pre-filter before the above and lastly some clear hose between OEM filter and IP.

I run a 1HDFT in the states, have run a 1HDT before, and have played with many 1HZs.
Also there are countless 1HDFTs in boats, badged as Yanmar engines. Use additive and you will be just fine.
Also, remember that VW sells their new diesel engines here, and they run just fine on the fuel, so no worries.
Cheers,
Jan

I'm not sure how our NA diesel compares to EU diesel, but there are many hundreds of 1HD-T engines on the roads in Canada. I haven't heard of anyone with unusual issues with their fuel system.

To be on the safe side, put in a good pre-filter.

While I don't own a Toyota diesel, I do have many miles on VW TDI engines and a GM diesel in a truck.

can confirm my both diesels running without any issues down here and from Nicaragua to Panamá with just plain diesel .. even now we have 50ppm diesel.

I think the issues are because they are importing engines on their last legs. The 1HD-FT doesn't have any special fuel quality requirements.

"We want to travel to Canada, Alaska and USA onwards to South America"

No worries till off the beaten path and you end up with contaminated fuel.
I have witnessed the mayhem of spring runoff filling a gas stations tank and a friend ending up with a tank of water in his just purchased Toyota.

For the small price a clear bowl sure beats scratching your head when in another country, visual clues are quick and honest.
Have you pumped fuel from an old barrel? Works for helicopter JetB will work for diesel.

At the very least add one of these inline filters between the tank and the fuel feed pump.
Wix 33972 & Napa 3972 Fuel Filter
33972.jpg

plus a water seperator/sedimenter as mentioned above.

Wow, didn't expect that many replies! Thank you!

I will install a second filter and maybe even use a filter when filling up at the station.
However, I'm glad to here it's probably not as bad as people say...

I am currently using a 1HZ in my 40 series, in Pakistan where our government with the help of oil companies import and refine the worst Diesel(High on Sulfur and Lead) money can buy, and the handlers abuse it further in transportation to the filling stations, the non CRD engines work just fine if you have proper fuel filter and water separator setup.

So concentrate on that and you will be just fine.

Cheers

Have a look at this study on lubrication and Low Sulfur fuel http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

NOW this study seems to have been done in what I believe is a reasonably scientific fashion, however you should do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

According to the study, there MAY be a problem with ULSD and fuel system lubrication in older vehicles in North America. Newer vehicles are designed with ULSD in mind so they are not impacted.

Central/South America don't have ULSD, so it isn't a big deal down there, but there may be an issue in USA/Canada. I doubt you would experience failure in the fuel system, but just to be on the safe side, I use the Opti-Lube XPD additive...mainly based on this article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/viewall.html

Have a look at this study on lubrication and Low Sulfur fuel http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

NOW this study seems to have been done in what I believe is a reasonably scientific fashion, however you should do your own research and draw your own conclusions.

According to the study, there MAY be a problem with ULSD and fuel system lubrication in older vehicles in North America. Newer vehicles are designed with ULSD in mind so they are not impacted.

Note: "The cost of this research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers"

Personally I prefer my diesel to be free of snake oil.

Note: "The cost of this research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers"

Personally I prefer my diesel to be free of snake oil.

As I said, draw your own conclusions. From what I could tell:

Positive:
Blind test
Repeatable, Measurable
Independent Lab

Negative:
Industry Sponsored
No comparison of ULSD versus "old style" diesel (we don't know how much lubrication was "lost")
No analysis of ULSD refinery variances around North America (we don't know how much lubrication varies commercially around the country and whether any other fuel is better or worse, or if the additives affect different refined variants of diesel differently.

Anyway, it is a datapoint. As I said, I run additives - others may choose not to because they view them as not worth their cost or not worth the supposed positive effect.

As the study shows, a small percent of biodiesel adds the most lubricity compared with the additives tested.
Diesel fuel in Canada is required to contain biodiesel as a lubricity additive.

As the study shows, a small percent of biodiesel adds the most lubricity compared with the additives tested.
Diesel fuel in Canada is required to contain biodiesel as a lubricity additive.

Good point! BTW, 2% biodiesel scored the highest on the test!

Here is chapter and verse on what percentages are mandated in which province: http://www.biofuelnet.ca/2013/09/26/canadian-federal-and-provincial-biofuels-mandates/

Not sure what, if any regulations there are in the USA...

Federal renewable fuel regulations/ Canadian biofuels mandates
The Government of Canada has committed to attaining specific blending rates of biofuels into conventional fuels in order establish self-sufficiency of the biofuels industry:

5% ethanol in gasoline (E5)

Implemented in 2010

2% biodiesel in diesel fuel and heating distillate oil (B2)

Implemented in 2011

Current provincial biofuels mandates (2013)
In addition, many provinces in Canada have equivalent or higher provincial mandates. There are concerns, however, that inconsistencies between federal and provincial requirements may create barriers to the the flow of biofuel trade within Canada.

British Columbia

Ethanol: 5%
Biodiesel: 4%

Alberta

Ethanol: 5%
Biodiesel: 2%

Saskatchewan

Ethanol: 7.5%

Manitoba

Ethanol: 8.5%

Ontario

Ethanol: 7.5%

Woooahh it's getting complicated now! Got to get my chemistry books! :)

Thank you for this very profound survey...it will take some time to read all the links. You answered already many of my questions, thanks!

Have a good weekend!

My 1984 Mercedes runs just fine on our diesel. When I can get it, I run her on 50-50 WVO blend with maybe 1 liter of gas per 60 liter blend to thin it a little. Runs a lot quieter too.

Our diesel here is fine.

It's not just the quality of diesel. Imagine this; you're low on fuel and no gas station around but the local ferreteria (hardware shop) is selling from a barrel with a hand pump. They fill a jerrycan and use a funnel to pour it in your tank. Unfortunately it's raining and the funnel has been laying around in the dirt.
The result is something like this
DSC06527.JPG

Happy :steer:

Rudi

It's not just the quality of diesel. Imagine this; you're low on fuel and no gas station around but the local ferreteria (hardware shop) is selling from a barrel with a hand pump. They fill a jerrycan and use a funnel to pour it in your tank. Unfortunately it's raining and the funnel has been laying around in the dirt.
View attachment 938893

Rudi

Yikes! Maybe french fry oil would be cleaner!

View attachment 938893

Rudi

Apfelsaft asked about Canada and USA specifically, so the horror stories from central and south america don't apply.
No extra filtration needed in CAN or USA.
Cheers
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom