1fzfe oil filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know of an actual study looking at oil filter quality? I don't know how a non-Toyota oil filter would cause "knocking" which I would think would be valves tapping from dry seals. We all have anecdotal evidence, but I mean real evidence. Even searching for reviews and comparisons you find mostly places ranking oil filters based on their advertised qualities and not their objective quality. If Toyota's filters really are the best, then great, but the logic of "Toyota approves so I approve" often doesn't always hold up when we look at other things on our trucks, such as deleting certain systems like ABS or EGR or whatever.

@baldilocks would you happen to have a link or author?
No because I did all of my obsessive research some years ago. Unless you plan to run your oil and filter 15k, 20k or more miles, average products are good enough. You can read a metric ton over on Bobistheoilguy.com. You can also do what I did and put google search into overload mode. The info is out there. If a filter says Toyota on it, it may not be the best of the best, but Toyota says it’s good enough.

Agree with above: been discussed a ton in the past.

This is how I see it:

Toyota = dependable but somewhat lower filtration efficiency

Mobil 1 (and a few other spendy filters like Purolator BOSS) = better filtration, probably dependable

Anything that costs less than $8-10 (except the Toyota filter) = Less dependable and lower filtration efficiency (which may not make much of a difference in the life of your engine).

FWIW

Just make sure the filter you choose has a anti-drain back valve. Due to its horizontal mount mounting position, oil can drain out of the filter after shutdown if there is no anti drain back valve.

I’ve run the Napa/Wix, large Toyota and small Toyota filters and a large filter made by Baldwin on the two 1fz’s I’ve owned and have never heard strange noises of any kind upon start up. Not even immediately after installing a new filter, which is empty, have I experience “knocking”.

Me not get an oil filter pandemic going here. I read earlier in this thread where someone said that they had the same engine knock on start up with the smaller -yzzd3 filter that others have reported. Who reported? I’ve not come across this complaint but I do know that mud is home to many obsessive compulsive maintenance freaks. If you listen/look hard enough, you’ll hear what you want to hear or see what you want to see.
I am not an obsessive compulsive maintenance freak--not by a long shot. I was previously using the big filter (toyota sometimes, but more often NAPA) and never heard any noise on startup. I put in the small toyota filter on the last change and now hear a 2-3 light knocks right after startup. It's definitely new, it definitely coincided with the oil change and it's definitely not my imagination. I know I've read others make this comment here on MUD, although I'm not going to waste the time to hunt down the specific thread.

A couple light knocks is probably not a big deal, but if another filter is widely available that doesn't cause this noise, that's what I'll use. I'm not looking to geek out on the "bestest filter in the world" I just don't want my oil filter to be the cause of an unsettling noise.

I still don't know how an oil filter could cause any sort of noise in an engine. There's nothing that moves. Dirt particles in oil don't cause noise. I'm not sure who is saying this, but it doesn't make any sense.

I am not an obsessive compulsive maintenance freak--not by a long shot. I was previously using the big filter (toyota sometimes, but more often NAPA) and never heard any noise on startup. I put in the small toyota filter on the last change and now hear a 2-3 light knocks right after startup. It's definitely new, it definitely coincided with the oil change and it's definitely not my imagination. I know I've read others make this comment here on MUD, although I'm not going to waste the time to hunt down the specific thread.

A couple light knocks is probably not a big deal, but if another filter is widely available that doesn't cause this noise, that's what I'll use. I'm not looking to geek out on the "bestest filter in the world" I just don't want my oil filter to be the cause of an unsettling noise.
I wasn't singling you out. I understand that we can get a lot of money tied up in these aging cars and rebuild costs are astronomical so its natural that we want to take maintenance seriously. Mud is not the place to learn about motor oil and filter technology though. However, mud is a great place to find out that Napa Gold/Wix filters have killed a few 1fz's in recent history.

I still don't know how an oil filter could cause any sort of noise in an engine. There's nothing that moves. Dirt particles in oil don't cause noise. I'm not sure who is saying this, but it doesn't make any sense.
The theory is that, after engine shutdown oil can drain from the filter back to the sump and upon start up the airspace in the filter has to be refilled before there is adequate oil pressure. I've owned many cars some new some old and i have never experienced this anomaly, not even on my 2f powered fj40 with the filter mounted with the holes straight down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom