1fz to1hz swap. Oil pan clearance question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. Putting a 1hz on a fj80 frame that had an 1fz on it. The sway bar is very close to the oil pan and I’m not sure that there is enough clearance. I’ll post some pictures

Options I have thought of so far

Different oil pan?
Modified oil pan?
Modify sway bar?
Aftermarket sway bar?
Larger rubbers above the coil springs?

Could anyone let me know what they think would be the best way to gain some room between the oil pan and sway bar

Thanks

Also putting a fj45 body around this engine on the 80 chasis

C6AF2A45-6BFC-45D8-ADBD-AE188E2011DD.jpeg

35F29A7C-2B46-4E63-8003-7E2C205D5070.jpeg

D38B6505-6612-4C51-92E3-27415A4D5C05.jpeg

I don’t know much about the 1HZ in particular but it looks to me that the oil pan is on the engine opposite of what it should be. The deep end of the sump has been at the rear of the engine on every engine I’ve ever seen.

That is weird isn't it. Looks like it's been that way for some time...
Yes it does. That notch in the pan could be for tie rod clearance.

I am in Ecuador. Maybe that’s a factor. Also the engine came out of a Toyota coaster bus. Maybe it had a different oil pan.

It looks like the pan only fits one way so I don’t think it’s backwards

Yes that’s right, 1HZ’s came with a bunch of different oil pans depending on model the engine was put in.

The pans are different from a HZJ75 to a HZJ80 to a HZJ79. Really the only one that fits well in an 80 is the HZJ80 pan.

Cheers

You need new oil pan and probably an oil pick up. Coaster bus is not correct set up.

I ended up putting some new factory engine mounts and that sorted it. I think I have enough clearance now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom