1FZ-FE: What is the path of pressurized oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding a '97 1FZ-FE that died a horrible death...conrod and main bearing failure, large quantities of bearing material in the pan...

My question: What is the path of pressurized oil once it leaves the pump? Does it go straight to the filter or does it first go through the oil cooler? While cleaning the oil cooler I find this piece of lipped rubber seal, not rtv, and a fair amount of glitter. I'll be cleaning the galleries, but I have to wonder if all this crap got past the filter.

I'm sure a PO had the oil pan off, maybe more, but I can't figure out how the seal got through the pump...

oil cooler.JPG

Wow, thanks for that...pretty amazing how much glitter got past the oil filter...I guess that seal will remain a mystery...

Upon plugging up there is an internal bypass within the filter that will continue to allow oil to the engine. Designed for a dirty filter, or very cold starts when thick oil cannot pass through the filter media.

Once the babbit filled the filter it likely bypassed and circulated what it could through your engine, a drawback of the bypass in the filter, otherwise the engine would have just cooked itself solid rather than grinding itself to a halt, either way sorry for your loss.

Oh, not my loss....this rig was picked up for cheap and to be used as parts. Plans changed and now it's a "rescue dog":rolleyes: Interesting, though, trying to figure out the cause of death...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom