1FZ-FE Ticking sound from recently repaired power steering pump gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are several posts here over the years about a power steering pump gear noise after the power steering pump was replaced. They all point to the minor damage to the gear when it is pulled from the old pump to install on the new pump. The damage is so minor it is hard to see. However, it makes a large racket.

I've used an automotive stethoscope to determine that my noise (like a tick) is coming from the power steering pump. It is loud, but not rod knock loud. My pump was changed about 11,000 miles ago. It's fair to say that its not getting any better. I'm also not 100% sure that this is only the second pump.

Question is, is this fine to leave as is indefinitely or until this pump goes bad? It has lasted ~11,000 miles, so...

I would replace the gear, personally. Or at least buy a whole rebuilt pump from RockAuto. Why would you want to "wear in" a gear that's inside the engine instead of fixing the damaged, disposable, external part that's on an accessory?

44316-60020 Gear, Vane Pump [08.1992 -] FZJ80

I believe it's also possible that the gear wasn't seated to the correct depth. I think this could be caused by a marred shaft, gear bore, or woodruff key, or simply insufficient torque.

It's unlikely it would ever wear in. You could probably find the damaged spot and stone it away, but for all the effort I agree that gear and/or pump replacement would be the safest bet.

The noise is annoying, but they'll last for 50K + miles making that odd sound, no problem. It's annoying as a million no-see-umms on a beautiful starlit night with the gal of your dreams.

For which reason, I'd replace it.

So the current pump that’s on it is already whining. So if it goes, I’ll replace the whole she-bang.

What’s holding me back from replacing it preventatively is; where this sits in the priority list, access needed to change it, and the cost of a new gear, key, and pump….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom