1FZ-FE The Big Overheating Experiment. TESTED SOLVED!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here are a few pictures of my Ron Davis when i un boxed it..
FnklsMi.jpg

gFEerlS.jpg

6rU6aNa.jpg

My 1st best result was taking my Rad to a good shop and having it rodded out and re-assembled at about 15 years old. Big difference in temps getting the junk out. Then at about 20 years old the tank broke. Bought a TYC off of Amazon but actually received a KOYO and good stuff there. Best hot weather thing was a modified fan clutch with 20K oil in it.

I have a vented hood, and aside from the cool looking factor, did not make a huge difference in running temps. Would probably if I put an active fan under them.

Biggest impact: Clean Rad and modified fan clutch.

Last edited:
So the CSF is "bad" and the TYC, KOYO are "good"?
I always thought (in my mind) the CSF was a better....... I've owned my LX450 a little over a year now. Last summer never had an issue w/ cooling. This year I had the CSF cleaned (at a radiator shop) and did new hoses, cap, etc (no fan clutch). This weekend I couldn't pull any mountain pass at all without the temp gauge just going up! I did order a new fan clutch and I'll have it tomorrow. Once I install the new FC i'll see what happens. Guess I should look into a "TYC, or KOYO" radiator??

I have an OEM radiator that will ramp up temperature here in CO summer drives (especially Floyd Hill, Vail Pass, etc). Modded blue clutch brought the temps down about 10* as long as I can keep engine RPM up, but still a little high for comfort. Also, as soon as that RV pulls in front of you and you have to drop down to 2500 rpm, the temps still shoot right back up. I'll be getting the TYC 1918 and hopefully be done with it for a while.

don't forget, there are differences in "modified" clutches. My first was with 7K (IIRC) fluid- made a difference. My current is like 20K. It roars all the time and keeps things cooler.

HOWEVER... in the winters when temps drop below (gulp) 40*f, my engine temps don't get above 181* under most circumstances, and often at 178*, which I don't like to see. Due to the fan roaring all the time.

... Due to the fan roaring all the time.

If "on" all of the time, the valve is messed up, set wrong, or there is too much fluid in the clutch.

So the CSF is "bad" and the TYC, KOYO are "good"?
I always thought (in my mind) the CSF was a better....... I've owned my LX450 a little over a year now. Last summer never had an issue w/ cooling. This year I had the CSF cleaned (at a radiator shop) and did new hoses, cap, etc (no fan clutch). This weekend I couldn't pull any mountain pass at all without the temp gauge just going up! I did order a new fan clutch and I'll have it tomorrow. Once I install the new FC i'll see what happens. Guess I should look into a "TYC, or KOYO" radiator??
The CSF's are not "bad" - but being as they're copper/brass , they're not as efficient as the aluminum for extreme duty cooling. (Larger tires and added weight.) And the TYC has the best numbers for the OEM style (plastic tanks) radiators. Looks like your '96 was originally cooled by an aluminum radiator. After '94 Mr. T used the aluminum radiators. One detail most miss about the OEM radiators is the older copper/brass were 3 rows thick, whereas the newer aluminum ones were only 2 rows thick. They got the same or better performance out of less rows with the aluminum than they did with the copper/brass. That should tell you something. Just because it has more rows, doesn't mean it's better. What it's made out of and the fin design is also important. TYC's fin design is different than the OEM aluminum Koyos.

It is not done until you Field Test it - the plan is to take the 80 to the extremely hot and loads condition.

AC ON FULL BLAST FULL TIME

I decided to lure my friends to go wheeling in the desert in July, Summer is off season until September. Too hot in the desert.
I promised them cheap beer, cheap stakes and cheap jokes.

Drive 100 miles on rout 6 tollway as fast as I can with AC fully loaded 25 gallons of water 10 gallons gasoline and all the tools and camping equipment. Overnight at the entrance of the trail a full day on a very hard trail with a lot of mountain climbing the trail ends at the lowest place in the world the Dead Sea and drive up Highway 31 to the city of Arad on top of the mountain it is considered very challenging serpentine like climbing.

Could not make it overheat!!! with a short time peak 203 F

I had a stupid smile all the way

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 16.08.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 16.08.57.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 16.08.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-13 at 16.06.56.jpeg

It is not done until you Field Test it - the plan is to take the 80 to the extremely hot and loads condition.

I decided to lure my friends to go wheeling in the desert in July, Summer is off season until September. Too hot in the desert.

Drive 100 miles on rout 6 tollway as fast as I can with AC fully loaded 25 gallons of water 10 gallons gasoline and all the tools and camping equipment. Overnight at the entrance of the trail a full day on a very hard trail with a lot of mountain climbing the trail ends at the lowest place in the world the Dead Sea and drive up Highway 31 to the city of Arad on top of the mountain it is considered very challenging serpentine like climbing.

View attachment 2036395View attachment 2036396View attachment 2036397View attachment 2036398

I don't really have words for the Barren, Desolate feeling those pics give me. Would hate to break down out there.

I don't really have words for the Barren, Desolate feeling those pics give me. Would hate to break down out there.

What's amazing is that I see no awnings for shade!!!

..................Could not make it overheat!!! with a short time peak 203 F.......
Was that the air temp? :hillbilly::rofl:
Couldn't agree more. But, for some of us - it's the Holy land. I would sure love to visit sometime!

But, for some of us - it's the Holy land. I would sure love to visit sometime!

I consider it the Holy Land as well.

But honestly...I had to go the refrigerator and get a cold Ginger Ale after looking at those pics again.

My mouth was getting drier than the bottom of a Camel's foot. ;)

View attachment 2036395View attachment 2036396View attachment 2036397View attachment 2036398
203F is very good. But what about when the rig is not moving, say 5-10 mph max.? Mine never gets over 200F as long as the car is moving too. The problem is when i slow down...

What's amazing is that I see no awnings for shade!!!

I am playing with the idea of installing 270 Dec awning but I do not have roof racks and i cover the rig on storage I do not have a roof over it in my drive way. And it is heavy

We use large 15X18 feet Likra cloth between the rigs with one telescopic pole in the middle takes 2 minutes to set up weighs 3 lbs folds into a small pouch

likra.jpg

203F is very good. But what about when the rig is not moving, say 5-10 mph max.? Mine never gets over 200F as long as the car is moving too. The problem is when i slow down...

@Marco Lau it can stand all day in the sun 45C in the shade 90C in the sun even with CSF rad, engine running for the AC to work with no problem normal temp and the same with long rock garden crawling and uphill in low.. No problems

The only time I see it getting hotter is after long highway drive when i stop it will go up 3C and if it will idle it will cool itself for those situations I turn the second pusher SPAL fan

11221122.jpg

@Marco Lau it can stand all day in the sun 45C in the shade 90C in the sun even with CSF rad, engine running for the AC to work with no problem normal temp and the same with long rock garden crawling and uphill in low.. No problems

The only time I see it getting hotter is after long highway drive when i stop it will go up 3C and if it will idle it will cool itself for those situations I turn the second pusher SPAL fan

View attachment 2036537

How does your aux fan come on? This is the one on the left of the above picture and directly in front of the a/c condenser. Does it come on when the a/c is turned on?

I’m moving down to San Diego from Washington State and the other day was getting the Cruiser ready for its trip and noticed coolant leaking onto the ground so I started investigatingView attachment 2018661 and discovered a crack in my radiator on the upper plastic cap! I’m glad I noticed it before I got on the road. My TYC is coming in the mail tomorrow so I hope it’s everything everyone claims to be.

Off topic....but Welcome, when you get down here to Sandy Eggo! There’s a bunch of folks down here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom