1FZ-FE shutoff after multiple water crossings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey!

So I did some water crossings over the weekend. I was not the smartest and didn't let my engine cool down a little before sending it, and I didn't WD-40 the electricals either. After I did it, I got an immediate temp drop but still running. I drove off, and about 10 minutes later, while driving on a paved road, I lost power. It was gradual like the engine wasn't getting electricity or fuel.

I pulled off and tried to diagnose the problem.

I started first by drying off my engine bay as much as possible.
I checked the air intake to see if water got in (I have a snorkel), and it was dry.
Checked my oil no water.
Checked my fuses no water.
Had power tried to start would engage the starter but not turn over. (Thinking it's not getting fuel or air).
Checked the connectors for the fuel pump. They were soaked. Dried them off.
Still not starting.

I left for an hour to see if letting everything air dry would hopefully fix it.
I returned, turned the key, and gave two gas pumps when it sputtered to life.
I decided to drive it because I was on an island, and the tow company quoted me 1600$+ to get a tow.
Drove it to the ferry and back home. It drove fine as if nothing had happened. I took it to the mechanic the next day, and they said from what they could see, nothing was wrong with it.

Does anyone know what could have been the culprit so I can fix it so I don't get stranded again? I don't think anything is wrong with it at the moment.

Hey!

So I did some water crossings over the weekend. I was not the smartest and didn't let my engine cool down a little before sending it, and I didn't WD-40 the electricals either. After I did it, I got an immediate temp drop but still running. I drove off, and about 10 minutes later, while driving on a paved road, I lost power. It was gradual like the engine wasn't getting electricity or fuel.

I pulled off and tried to diagnose the problem.

I started first by drying off my engine bay as much as possible.
I checked the air intake to see if water got in (I have a snorkel), and it was dry.
Checked my oil no water.
Checked my fuses no water.
Had power tried to start would engage the starter but not turn over. (Thinking it's not getting fuel or air).
Checked the connectors for the fuel pump. They were soaked. Dried them off.
Still not starting.

I left for an hour to see if letting everything air dry would hopefully fix it.
I returned, turned the key, and gave two gas pumps when it sputtered to life.
I decided to drive it because I was on an island, and the tow company quoted me 1600$+ to get a tow.
Drove it to the ferry and back home. It drove fine as if nothing had happened. I took it to the mechanic the next day, and they said from what they could see, nothing was wrong with it.

Does anyone know what could have been the culprit so I can fix it so I don't get stranded again? I don't think anything is wrong with it at the moment.
When you said "but it wouldn't turn over" did you mean that the engine would not even crank with the starter or that it would crank but would not fire?

Pumping the gas pedal on a computer controlled electronic fuel injection engine is pointless. It's not a carburetor.

Most likely it's the O2 sensor wiring getting wet. Could also be the distributor.

When you said "but it wouldn't turn over" did you mean that the engine would not even crank with the starter or that it would crank but would not fire?

Pumping the gas pedal on a computer controlled electronic fuel injection engine is pointless. It's not a carburetor.

Most likely it's the O2 sensor wiring getting wet. Could also be the distributor

The engine would crank with the starter as I was getting electricity but not fire.

Ok, thanks didn't know that.

Thanks, I will look at them and make sure to prep my car before any more crossings.

Cheers

You can put a small amount of dielectric grease on engine wiring harness connectors to help keep them dry. Too much can be a problem.

It only takes a small amount of water in a connector to cause running issues.

I've had similar happen after hosing the engine a bit too vigorously. Once the water dried up, mine was all good again.
I never found where my problem was

Wet spark plug(s). They dried tgen it's fine. Dielectric greae helps this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom