1fz-fe into an fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I did a bit of searching but little solid info. Has anyone done a 1fz-fe swap into an fj60 or fj62?
The 1fz-fe is pretty huge so that's a thing. On a 62, there may be a chance of mating the a442f trans to the 1fz. Or a guy could source an r151 or better yet mate an h55 via an aftermarket bellhousing.

I don't worry about control over the engine as a Haltech or such can swing that. Boost is getting to be a real viable scenario and would put an all Toyota driveline right in line power wise with modern poo.

Seriously considering this combo to replace anything newer as I just love the way the 60/62 platform makes me smile. It still represents a big-ish investment but I would take this over a newer car/truck/suv. I realize it isn't as safe but everyone's bubble has to burst sometime.

I did a bit of searching but little solid info. Has anyone done a 1fz-fe swap into an fj60 or fj62?
The 1fz-fe is pretty huge so that's a thing. On a 62, there may be a chance of mating the a442f trans to the 1fz. Or a guy could source an r151 or better yet mate an h55 via an aftermarket bellhousing.

I don't worry about control over the engine as a Haltech or such can swing that. Boost is getting to be a real viable scenario and would put an all Toyota driveline right in line power wise with modern poo.

Seriously considering this combo to replace anything newer as I just love the way the 60/62 platform makes me smile. It still represents a big-ish investment but I would take this over a newer car/truck/suv. I realize it isn't as safe but everyone's bubble has to burst sometime.

FJ Company makes a bellhousing for h42/h55 to 1FZ. Rest is pretty much based on what engine management you want, plumbing coolant lines and setting up to gauges. Also adapt pedal to throttle cable instead of linkage which you could do with hj/bj60 stuff.

Lots of 60's out there with 1FZ power. Nothing new. Most are in South America where they aren't writing up long forum posts about it

From what I've read (could be wrong but did have a 93)..
The Fj80 shares engine/trans with the 62, the 93-94 shares trans but has a 1fz. The 95-97 changed the transmission.

The 93-94 had quite a bit of solenoids - which was one of the biggest issues of our old FZJ, but I wonder if that bellhousing works on a 62 trans and a 1fz...

From what I've read (could be wrong but did have a 93)..
The Fj80 shares engine/trans with the 62, the 93-94 shares trans but has a 1fz. The 95-97 changed the transmission.

The 93-94 had quite a bit of solenoids - which was one of the biggest issues of our old FZJ, but I wonder if that bellhousing works on a 62 trans and a 1fz...
The auto did indeed change to the a343 in 1995. The prior a442 did carry into the 80 series lineup but I have no idea if the swap is as easy as a bellhousing switch out. Maybe.

Really the biggest unknown for me is how well the 1fz fits in length wise. I know anything CAN work but it would be nice to still work with a Toyota fan/denso fan clutch, reasonable shifter alignment, etc.

FJ Company makes a bellhousing for h42/h55 to 1FZ. Rest is pretty much based on what engine management you want, plumbing coolant lines and setting up to gauges. Also adapt pedal to throttle cable instead of linkage which you could do with hj/bj60 stuff.
Pretty easy stuff it sounds like. It looks like it really. There are good enough managment options for the 1fz, especially with a manual trans.

Sorry to be 'that guy' but why not h150/151/152 behind the 1FZ? That's what Mr Yota did and they will hold up a lot better behind a 1FZ especially if boost is planned. Not as nice-shifting as a H55 but much heavier built. Coupled to a HF1A or HF2A, no need for adaptors. If you want to keep part time, simple spool in the HF2A and happy days

@dogfishlake It fits with the fan.

My friend @Svalts FJ62 has a 1FZ-FE, 80 five speed (Not sure which 151/150,) and part-time 80 transfer case. It was running and driving but is currently torn down for full rebuild with lots of clean up. He’ll post up a thread on it eventually

6089A26F-BEC6-49D4-9269-8721C55E0056.jpeg

1C410235-594C-41EC-8856-A57C9A500F3E.jpeg

Sorry to be 'that guy' but why not h150/151/152 behind the 1FZ? That's what Mr Yota did and they will hold up a lot better behind a 1FZ especially if boost is planned. Not as nice-shifting as a H55 but much heavier built. Coupled to a HF1A or HF2A, no need for adaptors. If you want to keep part time, simple spool in the HF2A and happy days
Good point. I tend to default to the h55 really because they are available new here for so cheap. This is just an idea in my head so if it were to really happen, there would be lots of time to source a good used h151.

The way I would do it would be that FJCo bellhousing and use the 60 crossmember, driveshafts, shifter, etc. That h151 is pretty tall looking and looks like it needs a pretty low crossmember.
Does their bellhousing use an H55f with a 2F/2H Input shaft, or HZ fine spline input?

Good point. I tend to default to the h55 really because they are available new here for so cheap. This is just an idea in my head so if it were to really happen, there would be lots of time to source a good used h151.
Yep, true, I forget that you guys can't just call past the wreckers and pick something like that up.

I think a 1fz with a h151 or H55F in a fj60 would be an ideal swap. Cost effective vs a LS swap, probably not. But still would be a great engine in a 60.

The only real thing I miss about my 80 series I recently sold is the 1FZ. Really good engine, and I would think a 60/62 would scoot with that and a manual transmission

i have had several request's from 60 owners , so folks are doing it , you can do it too :)

DSCN6736.JPG

So, how the heck did I forget about your build? I am thinking keep the 60 frame but engine compartment fit is the same.

I've got beautifully restored pieces for that baby too! See you in a couple of weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom