1FZ FE into a 60, what woul be required (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@elripster why not go H55 since there is now a bellhousing available?

And fwiw you can get a CARB EO for an engine swap, it’s just time/money. I’m in the middle of that with my turbo kit for the 1FZ.

@elripster why not go H55 since there is now a bellhousing available?

And fwiw you can get a CARB EO for an engine swap, it’s just time/money. I’m in the middle of that with my turbo kit for the 1FZ.

I didn't realize there was an off the shelf bell housing. Man that would have been nice circa 2010.

Yeah if you want to go to the lab and get a CARB cert that is obviously the best way to field a product like yours. For us DIYers the BAR is like 10 bucks, cheapest smog cert I have ever acquired. That said, I know of no BAR that will pass a turbo that didn't already come with the new engine. CARB EO would be the way there.

Frank

I didn't realize there was an off the shelf bell housing. Man that would have been nice circa 2010.

Yeah if you want to go to the lab and get a CARB cert that is obviously the best way to field a product like yours. For us DIYers the BAR is like 10 bucks, cheapest smog cert I have ever acquired. That said, I know of no BAR that will pass a turbo that didn't already come with the new engine. CARB EO would be the way there.

Frank

Yeah it’s impossible without the EO. Almost done though ;)

Thanks for the input, but I was simply referring to the actual physical mating of the 1FZ to the H55; not concerned about emissions, BAR, CARB, or any of that. As a matter of fact I'll strip off as much emissions controls as possible from the engine anyway.
Main concern I have is clutch, input shaft, etc.
I looked into this many years ago before doing my 3FE swap. If could go back and do it again, I would do this over the 3FE especially since I had ended up getting and H55F anyway.

Here is the latest reference guide... https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf I actually like the updates. They removed the cumbersome transmission changing requirements to just state that the transmission has to function correctly. It used to be that an engine change could be done without a transmission change but a transmission change required the mating engine to come with it and meet the upgrade requirements. In a nutshell, while the engine change guidelines are more specific, none of the changes impact taking, for example, a 60 up to an OBD1 or OBD2 engine. One can use the transmission of choice.

I would suggest one of 2 routes.

1. Swap the entire 80 series powertrain, engine, trans, tcase and all. Go to your local BAR (often at a community college), get sticker, good to go.
2. Swap just the engine and add the H151 (not H55...) that actually mounts to the 1FZE. Go to the BAR, get sticker, good to go.

You could consider augmenting option 1 by swapping to the 5 speed at a later date.

Note that there are no CARB certified engine changes. Each is inspected by a BAR referee and approved by the referee.

Hope this helps...

Frank

Makes sense.

A new bell housing is a game changer for sure. That said, if you want to go with the original engine/bell/trans which would be an H151, should be able to order all stock parts to mate it up. That configuration is what was available outside of the US so it should be all off the shelf parts. If you already have an H55 and want to use it then maybe some parts digging is in order.

That is unfortunately the extent of my first hand knowledge.

Frank

Makes sense.

A new bell housing is a game changer for sure. That said, if you want to go with the original engine/bell/trans which would be an H151, should be able to order all stock parts to mate it up. That configuration is what was available outside of the US so it should be all off the shelf parts. If you already have an H55 and want to use it then maybe some parts digging is in order.

That is unfortunately the extent of my first hand knowledge.

Frank

I still have the 4 speed at the moment. H151 would be nice but not easy to come by in the US from what I understand, and then I'd need a new transfer case as well.
A 1FZ in front of s H55 and split case is how I would go if I went this route, otherwise would likely just use a different engine.

Check it out... have cake, eat too.

Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 5 Speed H151F Transmission

Or likely save dough and have it shipped from Australia.... Free local classified ads $600 bucks for a trans.

I don't know how this will compare to an H55f with that new bell housing from a price standpoint and these links are for used stuff.

Unfortunately, Canadian, etc... yota dealers don't seem to have the same online parts lists like US ones do so you basically have to fill out an inquiry.

Frank

Is the 1FZ the same pattern as the 1FZFE?

And after reading a ton of these h55 to 1fzfe threads I’ve always wondered why it wasn’t as simple as making an adapter plate like most other engine conversions out there? Lots of clutch and flywheel options.

Missed this earlier; to my knowledge they are the same engine the FE is just fuel injected. Same block and such.

I have the Australian spec, early to '97 FZJ7X, OBDI somewhere. Will dig out of Dropbox and post link.
Ancient history, I know. But I'm in the middle of swapping a 1FZFE & H151 into my FJ80 & need some info. Managed to get a 1994 MT ECU & engine harness, but the harness needs some repairs. Does anybody have a 1992-1994 non-US 1FZFE engine EWD? The US-spec 3FE & 1FZFE, and non-US 3FE EWD are not that helpful.
Thanks!

Ancient history, I know. But I'm in the middle of swapping a 1FZFE & H151 into my FJ80 & need some info. Managed to get a 1994 MT ECU & engine harness, but the harness needs some repairs. Does anybody have a 1992-1994 non-US 1FZFE engine EWD? The US-spec 3FE & 1FZFE, and non-US 3FE EWD are not that helpful.
Thanks!

Hunting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom