1FZ-FE head rebuild price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I admit, I'm ignorant on the cost of machine work on a 1997 1FZ-Fe head! Just want to see what you guys think.

I little history... I provided new OEM valve seals. No new valves or springs were needed. The head surfacing was .0030. Originally, I was told $800ish... Final bill is $1192. Is that the going price now days? I'm just curious...

Thanks! :popcorn:

invoice (2).jpg

Down here price seems to be determined on how quick you want the work done. I have had quotes of $800 with the work being done in 2 days but i opt for the dude who charges $450 but he takes 7-10 days because he is in demand. $1200 buys a replacement engine. Just sayin...

I admit, I'm ignorant on the cost of machine work on a 1997 1FZ-Fe head! Just want to see what you guys think.

I little history... I provided new OEM valve seals. No new valves or springs were needed. The head surfacing was .0030. Originally, I was told $800ish... Final bill is $1192. Is that the going price now days? I'm just curious...

Thanks! :popcorn:

View attachment 3260990
Seem high to me. I paid $450, but did my own shim work

Seen other quotes/bills between $500-1000 depending on the amount of work
that's done. If they did any port and polish that would bump up the bill but doesn't look like they did that.

No mention on the work slip if they measured spring height/tension or ground valve seats,, but they most likely did.

Maybe they got into it, hadn't done one before so there was a learning curve, took longer than estimated, then decided to bill for the extra shop hours??

Either way we all know everything has gone up in price; food, services, supplies, even electricity and (natural) gas, etc,etc. IME it seems like the prices jump up in large steps all of a sudden. A pizza for example that I've been getting for years jumped up in price almost 60% in the past year or so.

So I guess if it was done correctly be happy. :)

I was quoted about 800-1000 for decking, valve seals, valve grinding and valve job. That was before they discovered I needed new valves and valve guides and that they couldn't deck the head anymore. At that point a new Head became cheaper.

Had mine done 5 years back in Aus and the only diff was new valve seats installed for LPG and price then was $1750 AUD

In Jan 2023 I paid $300 for a head deck and valve grind. Cash only. No tax. No documentation. Receipt on a basically a yellow sticky. Still getting used to the way things work around here.

new head, valves swapped over and lapped, surface decked $850 CAD

3b tho

Last edited:
Just did mine, I provided seals, they cleaned, decked and did a complete valve job for $750

Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies. $1192 seemed high to me... but there's not much I can do about it now. I'll be looking for another machine shop in the future. Thanks again!

Down here price seems to be determined on how quick you want the work done. I have had quotes of $800 with the work being done in 2 days but i opt for the dude who charges $450 but he takes 7-10 days because he is in demand. $1200 buys a replacement engine. Just sayin...
1200$ for a replacement engine? Maybe for one that needs a rebuild

1200$ for a replacement engine? Maybe for one that needs a rebuild
Incorrect. I was looking recently and was offered 3 different motors at $800 and 1 at $1200. Mileage ranged from 180,000 to 220,000. One of the $800 engines even had a recent head gasket replacement. All were running when pulled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom