1FZ-FE Engine problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As stated above, my vote is plugged catalytic convertors. Had a similar issue with a 99 4runner and cats were toast. Easy way to tell is unbolt them and see how she runs.

Check this out. It was the first problem I had with my cruiser. A mix of @Qball and @Tools R Us (RIP) fixed it.

You are the second one to suggest tps after Gumby, it's dry but I'll see if I can get one from autozone
Helping out here.

Did you ever get a resolution on this? Asking for a friend......

Helping out here.

Did you ever get a resolution on this? Asking for a friend......

Resolved itself honestly. I did have moisture in the TPS connector, but a lot of connections were damp that day. It did seem to clear up after wd40ing the TPS, but I can't for sure say that's what ultimately did it. Never replicated if, but I do carry a spare TPS now just in case.

So this thread has been going on since 2009 with several 80 series having this identical issue "Revs to 2200 RPM and cuts out. " and I would imagine at least one of them was resolved.? My beloved 1994 was experiencing this exact issue and I'm sad to say had to be towed to the shop. First time in the 17 years 300k that I've owned it I was unable to field fix the problem and get back home under it's own power. Spent the evening and most of the morning researching the problem, gathering my test equipment and guess what.? it has miraculously healed it's self and left me with nothing to test. Of course no check engine light came on and no data was stored. It has run perfect for the last 100 miles. Sooo if anyone else out there has had this occur and actually did something to repair it, PLEASE share what your repair was as it would give me at least an idea of something to look at more closely before I get stranded somewhere out of coverage. Cheers.
See @joez reply above.

If you want to get someone's attention, then either reply to their comment or "call them" to the discussion with the @ symbol and their handle like @BILT4ME

Someone's playing a prank on you by wedging a potato up your tail pipe :p

Seriously, happy to hear the ol' girl fixed herself.

Has anyone who had this issue tried re-setting the ecu? It's happened to me before, I think it's related to a prolonged WOT condition caused by a maladjusted TPS.

See @joez reply above.

If you want to get someone's attention, then either reply to their comment or "call them" to the discussion with the @ symbol and their handle like @BILT4ME
Thank you to every one who chimed in, I tried to pull flash codes and there was nothing in the memory. I may try and check the data coming from the TPS this week end and see if it is corrupt or any dead spots. Other wise I heard from another owner that their 80 also magically healed itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom