1FZ-FE engine into a FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering an engine swap for my 87 FJ60 and would like to keep it an all Toyota product, and like the idea of a straight 6. It seams the 1FZ-FE was the ultimate in power and tourque from the Toyota straight 6s. Has anyone done this swap that can let me know what problems need to be overcome? I would want to use a H55 transmission. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well... remember I would like to stick with a Toyota engine. Thanks.

Never done it, but anything can be done with enough time, skill or money, as they say. Pore over the factory manual and wiring diagrams. There are a lot of little solenoids, relays and ECU's for the 1FZ-FE attached on the firewall, fenders and even the interior. I'm sure not all are needed, but if you leave an essential item out, it can be annoying at the least, disabling at the worst. Swaps like this is best done with a mechanically/electrically complete donor vehicle sitting in your driveway ready to give up the parts or harness that you need.

By the way, the 1FZ-FE never came mated to an H55. Toyota has already had the H151 by the time the engine came out. You may have to make a bellhousing to fit it, or find an H151 from Specter, GScruiserparts, etc.

Dave

For the capitol outlay, may as well buy an 80.

First off - Australians are lucky enough to have 5 speed transmissions. In the US, we have been stuck with automatics since 1988. So, just buying an 80 Series will not get me what I want.
Secondly, when I entered this area, the subject said somthing about high cost projects, far-reaching dream projects, etc. Why would anyone replying to a project in this section be such a negitive dream stealer?

Maybe what Darren said was you might as well as buy a whole damaged rig and harvest the parts one by one. If you ever need to go back to the junkyard for the little parts you didn't get the first time, it will add up fast. It can be done and you will be one of the first ones to do it!

BTW, TLC4x4 has done it:
IMG_4893.jpg

Dave

>> BTW, TLC4x4 has done it <<

And with a S/C no less.

Is that the $65k rig they put a 60 body on an 80 chassis? Kinda looks like that one to me.

-B-

Beowulf-

I E-mailed TLC to ask about this truck, and they did tell me that this one was made by placing a 60 body on an 80 chassis. So, I'm still looking for someone who has switched this engine into a FJ60 and married it up with a 5 speed manual transmission...

kenneth.klock said:
First off - Australians are lucky enough to have 5 speed transmissions. In the US, we have been stuck with automatics since 1988. So, just buying an 80 Series will not get me what I want.
Secondly, when I entered this area, the subject said somthing about high cost projects, far-reaching dream projects, etc. Why would anyone replying to a project in this section be such a negitive dream stealer?

Firstly, its not hard to get hold of one...
Secondly, if your that concerned and put off so easily, perhaps you should just buy a truck, rather than attempt building one.......

Thirdly, yes buy an 80 thats knocked around and swap eveything is easier.

OK Shed Guy-

Please educate me as to how 'not hard' it is to get a hold of a 5 speed Land Cruiser with a 1FZ-FE engine in it.
Also, it seams you just don't think building a truck is a good idea, or am I misunderstanding you?

well One of my friend, had maid this convertion on a 60 also a 40 its not hard if you have everything, but sorry its cannot be mate to a h55... but problably SOR have the original 5 speed for the 1fz ... here in Venezuela can find one for 480us$ with 15000 miles. with the tranfer..

Have you ever wheeled with an automatic?

The reason I ask is because I have used both. I prefer the auto.

kenneth.klock said:
I am considering an engine swap for my 87 FJ60 and would like to keep it an all Toyota product, and like the idea of a straight 6. It seams the 1FZ-FE was the ultimate in power and tourque from the Toyota straight 6s. Has anyone done this swap that can let me know what problems need to be overcome? I would want to use a H55 transmission. Any other suggestions would be welcome as well... remember I would like to stick with a Toyota engine. Thanks.

I looked at doing this swap in my FJ40 a few years ago.
I had found a rolled 1996 FZJ80 with 110,000 miles on it that I wanted to use as a donor for $5800. I then started doing research.

I called SPector, and found out that the H55 tranny would not bolt behind the motor, you needed an H151. It also has it's own t-case. You needed a specific FLywheel, TO fork, TO bearing, clutch master and slave cylinder, and bellhousing. All of these things were available, and could be had, but it would be about 4-6 months before they could be delivered (MArv was bringing them over in a shipment from Australia, along with other goodies). Then I asked how much. Well, the bill from Spector was going to be nearly $6500. But that included rebuild kits for both the tranny and t-case, new slave cylinder, bearing and clutch kit as well as the pedal, clutch master, and hydraulic lines (this was a kit to put a manual into a NAS FZJ80), and low mileage take out H151 and t-case. (my choice full time or part time!)

From there I was going to need a new radiator, motor mounts, custom PS lines, rad hoses. Not to mention all of the other nickel and dime BS that was going to be needed for such a conversion.

In the end I decided that I would probably be money ahead by simply ripping the body off of the 80 series, and building my own FZJ-45 troopie, and retaining the AT (autos are NICE to wheel with, by the way).

Well, I lost my job about the time I was going to do this, and so I never went through.

Personally, I think that you would be better off getting a rolled 80 series, and putting your FJ60's tub on the frame.

Put in a 12-ht or 13-bt motor. G&S can or does have them. It will bolt up to a h55 and is a direct fit into a 60. Do a little work on the motor and you will have more than enough power and torque with alot less hassle.

Cruiserdan-
I have had the auto vs. stick discussion with many of my friends over the years. I admit that there are many legitimate reasons to opt for the automatic over the stick especially when four wheeling. But, I think that mostly it just comes down to personal preference and I happen to prefer the stick. I think that most of my rational for preferring the stick comes from regular driving (not from four wheeling) where I find driving an automatic just really boring. But, that is just my opinion.

Burger-
I am open to putting a diesel in the truck, but the specs on the 12HT engine is only 135 HP which is the same as the 2F that is in there now. I wouldn't want to go through the effort of an engine swap, only to end up at my starting point as far as HP. You spoke of doing some things to the engine to end up with more HP and torque... how much more HP are we talking about?

Tigerstripe40-
That is the kind of info I have been looking for. Thank you very much for that. Just a few questions: what necessitated getting a new radiator? Do you think a swap into a 60 would still require a new radiator? I assume most of the cost of SOR bill would have been for the transmission and transfer. If I can get a H151 with transfer from Venezuela for $500 (and I don't rebuild them before install) how much more do you think I would spend for the other stuff I would need?

Gumby said:
I'd just put in an auto. Better yet, just put the 60 body on the 80 frame. Then you get coils as well.

Agreed..................but good luck, would be a fun project.

kenneth.klock said:
OK Shed Guy-

Please educate me as to how 'not hard' it is to get a hold of a 5 speed Land Cruiser with a 1FZ-FE engine in it.
Also, it seams you just don't think building a truck is a good idea, or am I misunderstanding you?

Ok, but I thought it was simple, given when I mentioned cost/investment, you took the line that its building it you want, so obviously the cost isnt important, so just get your credit card out and get one shipped from a country that has them fitted in thier models....... :princess:

kenneth.klock said:
Tigerstripe40-
That is the kind of info I have been looking for. Thank you very much for that. Just a few questions: what necessitated getting a new radiator? Do you think a swap into a 60 would still require a new radiator? I assume most of the cost of SOR bill would have been for the transmission and transfer. If I can get a H151 with transfer from Venezuela for $500 (and I don't rebuild them before install) how much more do you think I would spend for the other stuff I would need?

Necessity for a new radiator would have been in the FJ40. A 4.5 Liter engine is going to produce more heat than a 4.2 liter engine. Also, there is more aluminum in a 1FZ than there is in a 2F. So taking care of heat is a good idea. (this is my thinking, the stock FJ40 radiator would probably have been sufficient, though, the thought would always be in the back of my mind...) .

That said, the FJ60 radiator would probably work just fine, as it's wider than an FJ40 radiator.

Most of the SOR bill was the Tranny, Transfer, and bellhousing. But the other parts aren't inexpensive either. ALot of the parts you will need can realistically only be sources from Spector. You can get other parts from your Toy dealership, but be prepared for sticker shock, long waits, and parts counter guys throwing their arms up in frustration.

As far as getting a tranny/t-case from South America, I would not make the mistake of not rebuilding and inspecting it beforehand. In other parts of the world, Land Cruisers are generall driven --->HARD<---. That $500 venezualen tranny may only have 40,000 miles on it, but if it came out of a mine truck (most likely with that few miles) it will have led a VERY hard life. I think it VERY unwise to not rebuild the tranny before putting it in your DD. Also, if the tranny you got from SA needs anything but bearings and seals, you are pretty much up a creek without a paddle. Gears, and shafts for an H151 aren't readily available in the US. They CAN be obtained, but they will cost lots of $$$.

OK, now that I am off my soapbox, I will tell you what I figured out from the research I did.

1. the 1FZ-Fe -H151 is a cool combo, however, you will be dealing with a transmission with an unknown history, with parts that are unobtainium.

2. A 3FE-H55 woudl be a better choice.
-a. primarily, because the engine aned transmission will BOLT RIGHT INTO the truck.
-b. you;ve got most of what you need already sitting there (bellhousing, flywheel, t-case, etc)
-c Parts are MUCH more easily obtained in the US.
-d you get fuel injection.

3. IF you need more power than a 3FE has to offer, you are money ahead to get an EFI Chev 350 V8. Mate it to an NV4500 with an AA to the t-case you already have. If you know people in junkyards, and can do the work yourslef, you can do this for 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of the 1FZ-FE H151 T-case.

4. If you want a 1FZ-FE keep it mounted behind the Auto transmission. If you want part time t-case, get the kit to change it to part time.

In light of all oif this, I know, it's a bitter pill to swallow., I am DREAMING of putting a 1FZ-Fe into my FJ40. Now that I know that a Crawl box is available for the 1FZ-FE A442 combo, that would make me more likely to put this in my own truck.

I really hope this helps.

-James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom