1FZ-FE engine in FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
Being Toyota centric when it comes to the Cruiser, I had the idea that the 1FZ-FE 4.5 L engine would be a better fit and upgrade for a '60 that the usual Chebby. Would it bolt to the H55F? How would the performance and driveability compare to other options? Seems to make good horsepower.

Thanks,

Mike S

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=6730;start=msg55152#msg55152 date=1067042334]
Being Toyota centric when it comes to the Cruiser, I had the idea that the 1FZ-FE 4.5 L engine would be a better fit and upgrade for a '60 that the usual Chebby. Would it bolt to the H55F? How would the performance and driveability compare to other options? Seems to make good horsepower.

Thanks,

Mike S
[/quote]

The 1FZ-FE is a difficult engine to transplant because of the electronics. Many relays, ECU's and other electronic components attached to the firewall, inner fenders and inside passenger compartment. Availability is limited, but if you find one, it is best to get the whole truck as you will likely need all the electronics.

The H55 will not mate to the 1FZ-FE. By the time it was sold in late '92, Toyota already had a stronger 5 speed in the 80 series, the H151f. Not easy to find these trannies in North America. If you are lucky enough to find a 1FZ-FE in the US, it's probably easier to get the auto tranny that comes with it.

If you go through all that trouble, why not install a Toyota diesel? Much simpler installation. These guys will hook you up: http://www.gscruiserparts.com/

Dave

I've heard of some guys in Austrailia that have transplanted 1FZ-FE's into 40s. So it could be done. That would be one kick ass setup IMHO, I love the 1FZ's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom