1FZ-FE cylinder 3 burning up my plug (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The FSM specifies NGK BKR5EYA, or ND K16R-U.

The NGK "upgrade chart" that I'm seeing doesn't list the BKR5EGP at all, and doesn't show any platinum upgrade for the BKR5EYA. What led you to install the BKR5EGP?

I really doubt that a clogged catalytic converter would cause this. I would think you'd blow out every exhaust gasket before seeing it causing excessive cylinder temperatures. And why would it only affect one cylinder?

The first thing I would do, personally, is install NGK BKR5EYA spark plugs, then use a stethoscope to verify that each fuel injector is clicking similarly.
Thanks again for your response. I wanted to let everyone know that the chamber within the catalytic converter that come from the manifold that goes to cylinders 1-3 was restricted. The other side wasn’t really. I permanently fixed that problem. Not saying that it was the cause of all this nonsense but probably didn’t help.
I'm wondering if you are not getting a good ground through the threads to the head. Also curious to know how much timing the motor has in it. Regardless it looks like you are in for a new head
I think so. Thanks again!

Are we thinking that #3 cyl is experiencing a fuel delivery issue, as in too lean? Just a WAG.

Definitely this... you can clearly see the knurled top threads of a time-sert thread repair kit
Yes. This has been discussed above. It has Perma Coils in it. They came out with the plug. Even though it was swaged and locktited and left to cure per instructions. Exhaust gas has leaked past the threads and seal. I’m trying to figure out why. No obviously or even subtle pinging or detonation when everything is in and working (before it burns out the plug).

Are we thinking that #3 cyl is experiencing a fuel delivery issue, as in too lean? Just a WAG.
I have a California model and I did find that one of the cells inside the catalytic converter were partially plugged. The cell that cylinders 1-3 go to. And all three have experienced this problem. 3 is the worst though. I just struggle to imagine that a partially blocked cat could do anything like this but ???

I have a California model and I did find that one of the cells inside the catalytic converter were partially plugged. The cell that cylinders 1-3 go to. And all three have experienced this problem. 3 is the worst though. I just struggle to imagine that a partially blocked cat could do anything like this but ???

I've seen a blocked cat destroy exhaust valves and valve seats, wouldn't surprise me too much. Might be worth having your injectors flow tested now and start considering a head rebuild or replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom