1FZ-FE blown head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having some issues with the cooling system in my 1FZ-FE and just recently had the water pump and thermostat replaced. The system doesn't seem to build up pressure, the cabin doesn't heat and it looses liquid.

Would it be possible to have bubbles like those caused by something else than worn/blown head gasket? This is at 600/700 rpm.

Do you have white exhaust fumes? Clear sign of a headgasket issue.

What you show looks more like you have air trapped in the block.

I would drain the coolant and fill your system back with a couple of differences. Get yourself one of these. It is great to prevent air trapment. I would also place the front wheels on a ramp to tilt the front of the engine higher than the back end.

Amazon product ASIN B01I40ZQWE

Last edited:
Blackstone oil analysis. It's cheap, easy, and conclusive IMO. That's my $0.02

Bubbles can indicate air in the system after the t-stat and pump replacement. Hopefully that's the problem but I would investigate the heater valve operation and the rear heater lines under the passenger side of the rig for leaks.

Another option is to check for exhaust gases in the coolant. I've used a thingy that passes the air escaping from the open radiator then through a magic fluid that changes color when exposed to exhaust. It's a common tool from NAPA, Autozone etc...

I've been having some issues with the cooling system in my 1FZ-FE and just recently had the water pump and thermostat replaced. The system doesn't seem to build up pressure, the cabin doesn't heat and it looses liquid.

Would it be possible to have bubbles like those caused by something else than worn/blown head gasket? This is at 600/700 rpm.

Also, the coolant needs to be flushed. The color of your coolant appears to be brown. Not green, not red. It should be one or the other.

The Toyota red is what came in these originally, and if someone mixed a bit of green with it, it turns sludgy and brown. Mine was thicker than yours, but very brown and rusty colored because the PO mixed coolants. I had to flush 6 times with distilled water, then I went to the Toyota red. not very available, and very expensive, but that's what I did then.

Do what the other guys suggested above.

Another thing to do is a system pressure test. You know, put the hand pump thing on the rad cap. If its a leak you'll find it. It's either that or white smoke out the tailpipe or going into the oil. There is only 3 ways to lose coolant ismt there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom