1FZ engine building and blueprinting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All
i know it seems like I have dropped the ball or quit, but still working on the blueprint. Block back from machinist and begging to mock up to order head gaskets etc.

View attachment 3237065
One reason I haven’t done much, besides life, is that I just finished tearing down a complete 80 into every imaginable part down to last bolt. Frame just came back from powder coating and I will start a new thread on that build shortly. The engine I am building is for it.

One reason I haven’t done much, besides life, is that I just finished tearing down a complete 80 into every imaginable part down to last bolt. Frame just came back from powder coating and I will start a new thread on that build shortly. The engine I am building is for it.
Also, I have just shipped a spare block and transfer case down south to have a custom transmission adapter made for this project. I will be mating the 1FZ to a Ford 6R80 6 speed, (probably going to be a 10R80 10 speed though. Just waiting to see if the standalone trans controller comes out soon). It will also be mated to stock transfer case.
anyone want some of these adapters when I complete? The more I produce the cheaper they will be. But be forewarned, it will probably be about $3,000 with controller and that doesn’t include the trans!!
don’t bother telling me, as someone did on another thread, that I should just do an LS or something as I am wasting money. I kno, and don’t care!!

On another note of amusement: although I should save this for my 80 Restomod thread;
bought an 80 for my complete restomod and carrier for my engine. Seemed to run fine on the 500 mile trip home.
but not sure how much farther I would have Got!! This owner obviously didn’t do much maintenance! Besides this the transfer case only had about 1 cup of oil!
mains were fine, but not the rod bearings, no crank damage. Yet!
I think it had 160,000 miles. Not much as the last one I tore down was at 230,000 and was damn near perfect.
even at that it shows these motors are beasts!
54F436F0-ABA2-44F6-BE01-F455328D545A.jpeg
A6274CCB-5971-4458-8736-6C979D225C04.jpeg

3B506312-1D7A-49ED-9BE8-6C7679016633.jpeg

New Toyota 105 head arrived today from Partsouq. Amazing, only took 6 days all the way from the middle east to Western Canada! Way faster than my orders from Amyama. Now planning valves, spring etc. Ti of course. A little concerned that I won't get needed compression ratio, chambers look large. Already have pistons so cant change there. Only thing I can do if needed is shave the heads a bit. May have to do another build after this one. Or I could save the pistons and use on another block as I have a few. Have to wait and see final compression then decide.
IMG_7571.jpg
IMG_7570.jpg
IMG_7569.jpg

My partsouq order shipped Wednesday, hit Atlanta this morning and was at my door sometime before 2 pm today. Insane. Getting faster than amazon...

Did you get it installed yet?

I would be very interested in the transmission adapters if they work with the 10 speed. Have been researching swapping a ZF 8HP70 into my J80. Nothing available in the way of adapters, currently. There are several stand alone controllers available for swapping the 8HP. Also, a shop in Australia just did a video series on swapping an 8HP70 into a built 79 series Land Cruiser. This was behind a V8, not the 1FZ-FE. They developed adapters in house for that swap and used a TurboLamik trans controller.

ZF 8HP70 Swap Into LC 79 series

1679848445026.png

Hi Outlaw Mik, and anyone else who is Wondering about an adapter for a Ford 6R80 or 10R80 to the 1FZ.
my adapter is currently getting fabricated and I will post it up as soon as it is done with prices and details. The more people interested the less expensive it will be.
my fabricator tells me it is a Ford “modular“ trans so it may work with other Ford trans models also.
a ten speed is the goal but currently there are no controleers for it so I will use the six speed until controllers become available. Both transmissions will work with the same adapter. The six speed is very good, i have one in my truck and it’s great, and there is an awesome controller already available from US Shift

Hi Outlaw Mik, and anyone else who is Wondering about an adapter for a Ford 6R80 or 10R80 to the 1FZ.
my adapter is currently getting fabricated and I will post it up as soon as it is done with prices and details. The more people interested the less expensive it will be.
my fabricator tells me it is a Ford “modular“ trans so it may work with other Ford trans models also.
a ten speed is the goal but currently there are no controleers for it so I will use the six speed until controllers become available. Both transmissions will work with the same adapter. The six speed is very good, i have one in my truck and it’s great, and there is an awesome controller already available from US Shift
Keep me in the loop. I have the 10R80 in my F150. I love that trans behind the 3.5 Ecoboost. The first gear ratio of 4.69 is comparable to the 8HP70. The 8HP70's 4.7143. With and extra gear between first and 1:1, and an extra overdrive, the 10 speed would be a nice upgrade over the 8 speed. I might actually get better than 11 mpg from my LC with the 10 speed....

Reactions: CJK
New Toyota 105 head arrived today from Partsouq. Amazing, only took 6 days all the way from the middle east to Western Canada! Way faster than my orders from Amyama. Now planning valves, spring etc. Ti of course. A little concerned that I won't get needed compression ratio, chambers look large. Already have pistons so cant change there. Only thing I can do if needed is shave the heads a bit. May have to do another build after this one. Or I could save the pistons and use on another block as I have a few. Have to wait and see final compression then decide.
View attachment 3251034View attachment 3251035View attachment 3251036
Did that head come with polished ports, or did you do that after you received it?

I'm casually interested, not in a good buying position right now as I'm just finishing up a 10k paint job and resto on my bmer while also starting a company..... But having a 6R80 would be sweet.

What does the transfer case situation look like? could I run my HF2AV Tcase? do the dimensions of the 6r80 fit in the factory tunnel?

I'm casually interested, not in a good buying position right now as I'm just finishing up a 10k paint job and resto on my bmer while also starting a company..... But having a 6R80 would be sweet.

What does the transfer case situation look like? could I run my HF2AV Tcase? do the dimensions of the 6r80 fit in the factory tunnel?
I am not sure on the tunnel fit yet. It is just about fabricated but will stil be months un I fit it. I am using y transfer case 1997 not sure model

10R80 Swap would be sweet but I wonder how much longer it will take for someone to build a stand-alone trans control module for it.

US Shift’s last update was “testing in Nov 2020” but nothing since… ☹️

Yes I am waiting on that. I believe my adapter will do both, but using a 6R80 in case they never buld a 10R80 TCU
I pinged US Shift yesterday and received the below response:

Hello,

Yes, we are nearly finished developing our 10R80 controller, and plan to release it later this year. Our website will be updated when it's available.

--
Best Regards,
Jake Chandler
Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC
support@usshift.com
(864) 670-2259 direct line
jakec@usshift.com

Reactions: CJK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom