1FZ dies.......what will you do? (1 Viewer)

1FZ dies....which route will you take

• Rebuild 1FZ(look into turbo, if available)

Votes: 53 59.6%
  • Toyota Diesel Swap (1HD, etc.)

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • Chevy V8(Vortec, RamJet, LT1, etc.)

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Other Diesel(Isuzu, Cummins, Chevy)

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since there has been alot of talk here lately about different engines and what people will start doing when their 1fz dies, if it ever does......what will you do?

Before voting consider ALL things, ease of install, parts availabilty, total power output, ease to wrench on, total rebuild/swap costs and aftermarket add-on options. In other words, its not a perfect world, we cant all afford or get toyota turbo diesels.

Also, any other input is totally welcome.

I voted the 1FZ rebuild, turbo or super not necessary, but possible. Love the 1fz.

whoever voted Chevy V8(Vortec, RamJet, LT1, etc.) is fxxxed, have you looked at gas prices lately? Toyota diesel swap for sure, diesel is thast wave of the future

I vote, cry. ;p

Eric Winkworth said:
whoever voted Chevy V8(Vortec, RamJet, LT1, etc.) is fxxxed, have you looked at gas prices lately? Toyota diesel swap for sure, diesel is thast wave of the future

Eric, i think most would be with you on this but everyone has said time and time again, the cost of the diesel swap and the added gas mileage are not a reason to do it. You really wont come out ahead, if you do...it wont be much. Plus the V8, if done clean and right would be nice, cheaper and possibly beat all as far as HP is concerned. Dont get me wrong, id go for turbo 1fz if i had the money and parts werent so expensive. Its really a tough call.
I'll say im not a fan of the chevy powerplant but there is a 60 in the forsale section with a super clean 350 install....its a truck i wouldnt mind opening the hood on.

I think you would actually get better mileage w/ a 350 than the 1FZ. My dad's Yukon weighs in very close to the Cruiser and it gets b/w 17 and 22mpg on the highway depending on the season and the driver. The best I've done in my cruiser is 14.

Ary

After reading alot, probably not enough though.....its truely becoming a tossup between a 1fz rebuild or a V8. The fact that a V8 and 700r4 would almost cost the same or cheaper than a 1fz rebuild make it awefully tempting.

Eric Winkworth said:

I have to agree with Ary, with a properly done swap with one of the modern ls-1 based motors. You'd be extremely happy with the power and pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy. I had a 99 GMC 1/2 ton excab Sierra 4x4 (front end turning all the time) and was able to average 16 in town and 18-19 on the highway. Towing at 70mph, I averaged around 14mpg. The only downfall is the cost of the swap. Unless that gets cheaper, rebuild would probably be the smart way to go. Also, can't swap the diesel for the gas with our smog checks.
Don't get me wrong, I love my f350 psd. Nothing like averaging 18-19 mpg around town with a 7500lb 4x4 crewcab pickup. But with the premium on diesel fuel right now, it would take a long time to pay off that swap. jmho.

If these werent so easily available it wouldnt be so hard to ignore it....
This is on ebay right now with a tranny that will work fine with the 80.

But it now $2500 and 65k miles. The 80 would be very fun with one of these.
5f_1_b.JPG

250,000 to 300,000 relatively trouble free miles? Yep, I'd do it all over again.
Might get it bored out just a bit...

a 4.7l might be pretty kewl.

GOD forbid that happens first and formost the cruiser is collecting dust while I collect funds. then I would probably rebuild, but diesal is very temping.

Sam

None of the above, rebuild the 1FZ naturally aspirated.

I bought my cruiser to get away from as POS Chevy engine (2001 8.1L Silverado bought new) Toyota engines are superior and worth keeping, if you do most of the work on the rebuild your self costs can be kept down to acceptable range and you will know exactly what you have.

My 8.1L did get good gas mileage for what it was, better than the 454 is was based on but with larger displacement, the compromises GM did to get that mileage (Reduced reciprocating mass) directly lead to an engine that was knocking and burring 8 quarts of oil every ~6K, it was basically worn out at 63K miles, you guys can keep your skirt-less pancake pistons.

Acquiring a diesel is an expensive option and will take a long time to pay off (if ever)

Thank you Lord its going to be a really long time before I should even have to contemplate this operation.

Eric Winkworth said:

Yup. I can't hardly afford to drive my 60 anymore with diesel prices at $3.39

I have a T100, a 55 and a 60 with GM motors. I think they have their place. I will rebuild the 1FZ-FE until the 80 dies, then stick it in something else.

locrwln1 said:
I have to agree with Ary, with a properly done swap with one of the modern ls-1 based motors. You'd be extremely happy with the power and pleasantly surprised at the fuel economy. I had a 99 GMC 1/2 ton excab Sierra 4x4 (front end turning all the time) and was able to average 16 in town and 18-19 on the highway. Towing at 70mph, I averaged around 14mpg. The only downfall is the cost of the swap. Unless that gets cheaper, rebuild would probably be the smart way to go. Also, can't swap the diesel for the gas with our smog checks.
Don't get me wrong, I love my f350 psd. Nothing like averaging 18-19 mpg around town with a 7500lb 4x4 crewcab pickup. But with the premium on diesel fuel right now, it would take a long time to pay off that swap. jmho.

What you gas lovers have to realize is that it honestly isn't going to be a viable fuel in the next 5 to 10 years, although the car companies arn't selling many of there gas electric highbreds, diesel is on its way up, and lets talk about why, good fuel economy, good drivable tourque, longer lasting, better built engines, with more technology. I am not saying this is the case with all diesel engines but it should be. Theres a reason you don't see big blocks in Transport trucks anymore, hp means nothing unless you are racing, a truck/van or car that sole purpose is to get you from point A to point B the most fuel effecient way doesn't need HP it needs drivable touque.! On top of all that you have the option of different fuels you can use, diesel, dyed diesel, bio diesel, vegtable oil, used vegatble oil, black oil jeeze a diesel will pretty much burn anything with a few modifications. Theres a reason that it costs more, and it will make your truck worth more, if I wanted to open the hood of a truck and see a chevy V8 I would go buy a 500 dollar 1/2 ton truck. Don't discrase the yota with that V8, make her better put in a diesel!

IMO a V8 is a stupied motor, what are you gonna use the truck for, oval racing? keep that old motor running as long as you can, and save you pennies you won't regret it.

I promise!

cheers

Gumby said:
Yup. I can't hardly afford to drive my 60 anymore with diesel prices at $3.39

I have a T100, a 55 and a 60 with GM motors. I think they have their place. I will rebuild the 1FZ-FE until the 80 dies, then stick it in something else.

I think its time for a vegy oil set up bud, its not as hard as it seems if diesel goes over 1.50 a litre here the old 3B will finally start drinkin the good old vegy oil. Most places you can get new vegy oil for a little over 70 cents a litre. As for the GM motors, they have there place, you could make a flower pot out of them, or buy a gas station.

Eric Winkworth said:

I disagree that "diesel is [the] wave of the future"...

Eric Winkworth said:
What you gas lovers have to realize is that it honestly isn't going to be a viable fuel in the next 5 to 10 years, although the car companies arn't selling many of there gas electric highbreds, diesel is on its way up, and lets talk about why, good fuel economy, good drivable tourque, longer lasting, better built engines, with more technology. I am not saying this is the case with all diesel engines but it should be. Theres a reason you don't see big blocks in Transport trucks anymore, hp means nothing unless you are racing, a truck/van or car that sole purpose is to get you from point A to point B the most fuel effecient way doesn't need HP it needs drivable touque.! On top of all that you have the option of different fuels you can use, diesel, dyed diesel, bio diesel, vegtable oil, used vegatble oil, black oil jeeze a diesel will pretty much burn anything with a few modifications. Theres a reason that it costs more, and it will make your truck worth more, if I wanted to open the hood of a truck and see a chevy V8 I would go buy a 500 dollar 1/2 ton truck. Don't discrase the yota with that V8, make her better put in a diesel!

IMO a V8 is a stupied motor, what are you gonna use the truck for, oval racing? keep that old motor running as long as you can, and save you pennies you won't regret it.

Well, since you were quoting me, I would just have to say that after owning, v-8's, v6's, inline 6's, inline 4's and now a diesel v8. My diesel is the only thing that comes close to the thrill of driving a gas v8. And you don't have to be racing to enjoy one. Let's think about the average 80 owner, all kinds of heavy trail gear, lifts, big tires and aerodynamics that suck big time. A nice v8 swap starts to make a lot of sense when you are pulling that pig up over some mountains at 10000 ft. Would a turbo diesel work better, definitely, but again you have to make sure that your state/area will allow a smog legal swap from gas to diesel. :D

Having said that, until the infrastructure gets better and it becomes easier/more available, it will take a while for biodiesel/wvo and other diesel alternatives to get to be a more viable fuel. I know your going to tell me that I can make biodiesel in my garage in my spare time for super cheap. I have a couple of problems with that. I don't have the room to set up a refinery and I definitely don't want a biohazard site in my garage (I'm sure my home owners insurance doesn't either).

After much debate with myself and another friend, I would probably just rebuild the stock motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom